Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Lincoln mild custom build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rand Man, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Rand Man

Rand Man

I bought this beauty yesterday. It was a 4 hour drive each way. I blew a tire a few miles from my house and rolled on in on the rim. Could have been a lot worse. It’s no rust and ready for paint. I’m not making any big changes right away. Paint and basic mild custom touches. IMG_1716.JPG IMG_1678.JPG IMG_1677.JPG

2. gatz

gatz

Neato!
    That’s in great shape.
    I like the dash in those.
    What color are you going with?

Family spent some time at Beaver Lake a while back. Nice area.

Rand Man likes this.
  3. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

I believe that your Lincoln is a great starting point. I have seen some beautiful custom fore doors. Any thing you can do to the Mercury can be done to your Lincoln My $0.02

4. I would loose the bumper over riders and lower it !!

Your crusing in style !!

What are the plans?

5. Very nice car! Can you keep that stuff on the ground there in Arkansas? We don't need it here.

Stogy, Rand Man and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Nose and deck, shave door handles, remove chrome, a nice copper metallic, remove bumperettes, and lower and call it good although hubcap selection is open...

7. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

Very nice. Does it have the 337 Flathead in it?
    Jamco Suspension has a disc brake kit for the front and Fatman Fab has dropped uprights.
    H and H Flatheads has some Austin speed equipment for the 337.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Rand Man

Rand Man

Yep it has the 337 V8, and I’m keeping it. Car has low miles. If you’ve ever heard the saying “runs like a sewing machine” it’s literally true for these things. Just a little purring out of the stock exhaust. That will change soon. I’m a fan of lakes pipes.

9. Rand Man

Rand Man

Those bumper guards are definitely on the to trash list. I plan to double up the grill teeth. The stock side trim on these baby Lincolns looks pretty good but most of mine is missing, so they are doomed. I plan to add the high-end Lincoln Cosmopolitan fender spear. IMG_1710.JPG

I have a real Lincoln spotlight or two. Could a Carson top be in my future? That snow was from the original owner. I’m still on the trailer.

Stogy, Okie Pete, Cosmo50 and 2 others like this.
  10. Rand Man

Rand Man

As for color, the sky’s the limit. The stock color is green like that photo maybe add some flakes. Yes it will be lower. I might go with air ride (is that H.A.M.B. friendly nowadays?). I have to have a comfortable riding car

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. I once had a 50 coupe but had way too many projects...had to sell it or my 32 ford pickup or 53 Henry J . The Lincoln went away. 50lincoln_85.jpg

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Rand Man like this.
  12. Rand Man

Rand Man

I tried to work on This over the weekend. I was told the gas tank had been cleaned and ready to bolt back in. Don’t believe everything you hear. I dumped out a quarter cup of rust dust and realized a tank restoration kit was in order.
    I found the missing stock side trim, so it’s going on for phase one. I like the Cosmopolitan side spears, but there are a big bitch bunch of 1/2” holes to weld up. I just need to pick my battles and get a decent coat of paint on. Like it or not, I plan on a gold/blue-green two tone, loosely inspired by this thing. C68F74BB-B7D5-4383-8AAC-BAE3D68EBBAA.jpeg

13. I have a full set of super clean 49-51 Merc4 Dr. side trim for sale here on the HAMB that would go right on your Lincoln. John W email [email protected]

14. Rand Man

Rand Man

Thanks, but I should have all the stock Lincoln side trim soon. It’s in the mail (unless I’m getting screwed over by that guy too. I think the Lincoln trim is a bit different than the Merc. I could be wrong.

Stogy likes this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man those are cool, hardly ever see them around.

Stogy likes this.
  16. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

“Your gonna drive me to drinkin if you don’t stop stop driving that hot rod Lincoln”.
    You can have a very special car if you plan it right, those Lincoln’s are awesome, 4 door or two and make excellent Kustoms. Check out the music video from Dwight Yoakum, it has one of the nicest Lincoln’s I’ve ever seen in it. Keep posting progress, fun to watch another Kustom being built

17. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

I made a mistake, you can see a cool Lincoln in one of the Crazy bout Mercury videos from Alan Jackson.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

That would look great with those round, inset Lincoln taillights . . . oh, never mind, it already has those.

19. Rusty J

Rusty J

As weird as it might seem... the headlights look too small for the fenders - I wonder what a quad headlight setup with the trim Siamesed (is that a word?) together would look like???

SS327 and Rand Man like this.
  20. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Those more doors look damn fine with a mild chop....sexy.

Rand Man and Stogy like this.
  21. Rand Man

Rand Man

I thought about that. I thought about removable covers. Also might blank off those lights all together, and hide lights behind the grill. Probably the best is to weld on headlight buckets from another car. I’m thinking 55 Lincoln, 56 Olds, etc. I need to have some photoshop work done. These stock headlights, you either love em or hate em. I’m not in love with them.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. I always liked the Lincoln head lights. They go so perfectly with the Lincoln tailights. Also, your '50 grill is so much better than the '49 unit. Some days I wish I'd kept mine.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. The recessed Lincoln headlights are a key design element to this car. Reverse canted Lincoln headlights might be something to consider. The Lincoln grill bar with extra teeth in a mercury grill surround might work well with the reverse canted recessed lights. Keeping the theme, you could consider a second set of the recessed Lincoln taillights mounted above the originals. Great car with a lot of possibilities for kustomization, and still be distinctively a Lincoln.

24. Saw the work @themoose did on the photoshop. I liked the dual headlight version.
    upload_2021-6-11_9-0-15.png

25. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

@Rand Man car guy hangout every Friday evening in Pea Ridge behind McDonalds and Subway.

Rand Man likes this.
  26. gatz

gatz

maybe the "quads" from a '57 Dodge for a happy medium; inner light being smaller than the outer

1957 Dodge Royal reversed & cropped.jpg

27. Rusty J

Rusty J

We're gettin' somewhere with the quad headlight idea... but good luck finding 57 Chrysler setup.. Nice job with photoshop!

28. Rand Man

Rand Man

I might go with the quads, but just getting it on the road is top priority. I like these bezels, available new repro. The bucket assemblies aren’t hard to find. 90A45218-415C-4512-AF89-EEA9DF7AFDED.jpeg

29. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Those would be very cool