Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1950 Indy 500

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Dec 26, 2009.

1. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

LowKat, thanks for this thread. I love the old Indy cars and all the stories and photos of the guys and cars that make up Indy. Good stuff! Thanks again...

2. 85-percent

85-percent

My parents were acquainted with Emil Andres, who was dead last in the above list. possibly because Tinley Park Ill., is near their home town of Harvey, Ill. And also my dad I think worked at Allison Engines in indianapolis after WW2.

My dad told me Emil drove his car through downtown Indy to get to the track, which I guess was not uncommon back then?

Apparently, Emil came in 4th in 1946, according to the wiki link?

Thanks for the pics!

-90% jimmy

3. [​IMG]
    Check out the Radio Flyer wagons for carrying batteries.

4. stan292

stan292

'Kat-

Thanks for taking time to post these great pix. I was only 6 in '50, but soon became one of the millions of American kids who were glued to the radio during every 500.

A lot of those guys drove the state fair circuit between Indy races - often with a former Indy car. What balls they had, and what a woderful time to be a kid!

5. cj92345

cj92345
    from so-cal

those guys had iron b#lls

6. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

MANY THANKS ,THIS BRINGS BACK A TRADITION,MY FATHER AND I LISTENED TO THE 500 ON THE RADIO FROM THE MID 40s UNTIL WELL INTO THE 80s. THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

7. sramoa

sramoa

Somebody have these photos?
    #25 Johnny Mauro's Alfa 308
    #34 Johnny Fedricks' Kupiec car
    #79 Chuck Leighton's Cantarano
    #84 Mike Burch & Billy Earl's car

I never seen these cars...

Thanks

8. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Great pics. My wife's aunt and uncle (they're in their late 80's now) attended Indy from 1950 to 1957 when Sam Hanks won. Funny thing is, I would have never suspected they even knew cars raced until a couple years ago when he mentioned he used to own a couple V8-60 midgets back in the '40's!

9. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

I am pretty familiar with #63, Bob Gregg, as his son Mike, who was a standout Midget driver in the `70`s` and `80`s is a good friend of mine. Their entry would have easily made the field if it wasn`t for a broken front axle on their second (I think....) qualifying lap. Mike has a huge album full of newspaper clippings from that era, really neat to see. If the local Northwest guys want to buy Hot Rod parts, Mike`s little shop, Belmont Speed, is in Washougal, and well worth the trip...

10. KaGee

KaGee
    from Germany

Hi
    I'm the owner of #79. The car resides now in Germany and will be restore to the Indy spec. from 1950. I do have some pictures from the car (source Anita Cantarano) you can contct me under [email protected]
    best regards
    klaus