Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1950 Ford Shoebox hubcap problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kjones104, May 27, 2018.

1. kjones104

kjones104

I have a 50 ford with 56 Chevy wheels and can't keep a hubcap on. I'm running a Fiesta cap. Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix? it's a 76-78 Camaro front end

Attached Files:

2. Sometimes just re-painting the wheel will give the wheelcover (those aren't hubcaps by the way) something to bite into. Have you tried re-tweaking the the attaching pieces on the backside of the wheelcover?

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That era ('55-'56') Chevy wheel covers and wheels are held on by little bumps on the bead flange area of the wheel and a matching 'grip edge' on the wheel cover, not quite the same as the more common claw grips. Whereas your aftermarket wheel covers likely have the claw grips. Another consideration is the use of radial tires on those wheels are known to cause a flex in the wheel that permits the wheel cover to 'walk' it's way off the wheel.

Ray

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  4. I knew a guy who had a 41 Buick sedanette with a subframe and he had the same trouble. He used a BIG bead of PL-400 on the wheel rim. Destroyed the hubcab trying to get it off the wheel but it stayed on for a long time!! I don't recommend it.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Can't help without pictures of the cover & the wheel.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"we don't need no stinkin' pics" :D Sheet metal screws into the bead flange like those used to keep drag slicks from slipping on the wheel!......;)

Ray

7. kjones104

kjones104

Thanks all. I will post the wheels/covers tomorrow.

8. BJR

BJR

Run a bead of silicone around the rim to bed the cover into.