Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Ford, I jumped on the bandwagon!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sonicjagstang, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

Never in a million years did I think I'd join the shoebox crowd...... ok that's not completely true.

When I was in my teen years my dad was looking for a 49 Ford coupe or tudor sedan being that in his youth he owned a 49 coupe, 49 tudor, 50 tudor and 51 tudor. He wanted another one as his 49 Ford tudor was one of the cars he enjoyed most and thought it would be nice for us to fix up one together. We never found the right deal as they were either over priced or not worth bringing home and he also had other projects or things to do that caused a distraction. (yes, if he had sold all he was working on and devoted himself to one cause, he could have managed to get one)

Often thinking about how much dad wanted another shoebox led me to think about eventually getting one. Like with him the right deal didn't come along or I had become buried in other projects or obligations. For years I entertained other projects and faced other hardships making a shoebox fall off the radar but years later I found a good deal on a low mileage original and was expecting a settlement due to a serious injury so I made a deal.

I knew better than to count my chickens before they hatched but of course everything seemed promising so I took a chance. As with so many others that have faced this kind of thing, I was shafted out of a good portion of what I was entitled to and had to withdraw from the deal.

Even more years later and now present day...... I am still in bad shape physically and finances have only recently become stable again but I have never lost sight of my dreams. I have my sons 62 ChevyII to look after and my dads 41 pickup and it was chasing parts for the 41 that led to this post.

I went to pick up a couple "16 wheels for the 41 and the same guy had this 50 sitting there and asked if I knew anyone interested in it. Of course I did but I didn't know how I could work things out. LOL! My brother has a 50 shoebox, period correct mild custom and being that dad was fond of them I couldn't imagine not trying to get it. The guy with the 50 owns a body shop and has other projects and decided he would rather have some quick cash to finish up his other toys.

We struck a deal and since tax time got me out of the hole I was in I jumped without really even thinking. It has the original running flathead V8, new front fenders and all new brakes. The wiring is all shot and the body is pretty bad but knowing I could drive it home and have something to enjoy for now sealed the deal.

I don't plan to invest much time or money on it (HA,HA,HA!!!!! right) as I don't want to become distracted from the 41 pickup but it will be more of a 50's hot rod than a custom if things go my way. Also it may lose it's flatty to the 41 or be traded to complete the truck at some point. Regardless, its mine and something to enjoy for now and the first step is losing the red wheels.

Attached Files:

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

WHAT??? Lose the red wheels?"...........that's one of it's better features! :)

Ray

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

lots of potential but, if not planning to keep it just do the basics and have fun with it.

4. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

Ray: LOL! I honestly like the red with the black and overall they don't look too bad that way but with all those pesky rats around, too many of them are blacked out with red wheels so it just scares me a little that people may confuse it with one.

Jalopy Joker: That is a very good point and definitely my intentions. I don't really plan to part with it but if the right deal can be made and it serves to help me complete the 41 it will go. I'm just going to see how things go. The 68 Ranger in the pics has a fresh 302 slightly warmed over and could see use in the 41 or the shoebox. I badly want to keep the 41 traditional so it may get the flatty from the 50 and I may dump the 302 in the 50 and who knows? Just brainstorming for now.

5. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

Here are the new wheels I'm going to run in the name of all things traditional. NOT! I just put these on to sit it back on Earth while the others were being balanced. There wasn't a single wheel weight on the steelies. Got to love bias ply.... after balancing they only shake half as bad.

Attached Files:

6. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Welcome to the club..you wont regret it

7. You have a nice start there. These cars will grow on you. They are not my favorite of all time but they have great tradition. Althou i have had 3 of them in my life for some reason. My latest is a budget build coupe.

8. Kolt Forty Five

Kolt Forty Five

With time, the shoebox will grow on you. Just give it time.

9. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

Thanks guys.... It has grown on me and I have some clear plans for what I'd like to do to it but I'm easing in as I'm not sure how a few things will fall into place yet.

10. I believe that a Shoebox is in my future. Great cars, like a blank canvas to do whatever you want to do.

Bob