Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Ford F1 "Shirley" Part 2: The Chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BIGB0SS E.D.D., Jul 17, 2012.

1. BIGB0SS E.D.D.

BIGB0SS E.D.D.
    from Oklahoma

Its been a while sence I have last posted anything about this truck. But, these past few months I have been working on it almost ever night, And this is what I have managed to accomplish in those few months so enjoy.

I welded up the seam where the rain guards used to be. (learning to weld as I go). And I measered out the chop and made sure it was right, 3 inches in the back and 3 inches along the front post.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the quality it was taken with an iPhone and I have shakey hands, but you get the gist of it.

[​IMG]

Then I cut out the rear window out, making sure I did not cut the supports. (agian sorry for quality)

[​IMG]

Then I cut the top off, and removed the rear window with the supports all in one peice.

[​IMG]

The roof and rear window.

[​IMG]

Then I cut 2 inch out right below and 1 inch above where the rear window was to compensate for the 3 inch chop and be able to keep the rear window the same size.

(pic coming soon)

I don't have a before picture of what the rear window looked like when I pulled it out. But I had to straighten the top supports, they some how got twisted when it was pulled out a little force and a hammer straightened them out, The bottom ones where all fine nothing wrong with them. I then sanded off the tar like substance off of it and sanded the whole thing down and painted it with two coats of a rust prevetion paint and 2 coats of primer. And this is the end result.

[​IMG]

A little taste of how the new roof will sit

[​IMG]

Please give fedback and some little hints and trickes that will help.
    Thanks for reading and more to come.
    All images uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Just don't lean the posts.

I know it goes against what you usually hear when it comes to chopping a top but at least half the roof to bring the front and rear posts down separately.

Then start looking for a donor to fill the hole in one piece. There are at least a couple of good threads on this floating around.

3. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

I've seen a chop on a f1 and he cut a hole in the top that looked like a large key hole droped the four parts down and filled in the gaps. I'll try to get him to post some pics.

4. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

kinda like this...
    but you would want to pick out the "flattest" spots possible.

[​IMG]

5. BIGB0SS E.D.D.

BIGB0SS E.D.D.
    from Oklahoma

I know what you are talking about with not leaning the post. It causes problems with how the window sets in place. But I have thought long and hard on how to chop it, and leaning the posts is my best option. Leaning the windsheild back will also give me the look I am going after. I am also trying to stay away from using any classic donor cars.

Thanks for your feedback.

6. BIGB0SS E.D.D.

BIGB0SS E.D.D.
    from Oklahoma

I have seen this method before and it is way past my skill set.

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Take a close look at a few F1 chops with the posts leaned versus being quartered. Are leaned posts really the look you're after or are you just convincing yourself that it is because you think quartering a roof is "beyond your skill set"?... because I'm not convinced it is. (beyond your skills)

F1 Chop

8. I also agree, don't lean the posts. Get a donor top or 1/4 it. I had to add about an 1 1/4" strip on mine (3" chop).

9. Good advice.
    Take it and use it wisely...

Leaned back posts look like shit
    JMHO

10. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1/4 Chop IT!! You will be glad you went through the extra work...everything looks good so far...

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with Kevin, I like my 48 with the leaned posts but an F-1 wouldn't look right with the posts leaned back.

If it were me I'd cut the top so I could slide it forward and have a section of the roof to tack back together and then fit a filler piece in the openings above the doors and the hole you created in the roof. Or by using half of another roof you could eliminate filling holes and just have one seam to weld.

12. BIGB0SS E.D.D.

BIGB0SS E.D.D.
    from Oklahoma

I think I am actually understanding why you don't want me to lean the posts back. The body line (blue line) will be interupted and will no longer flow IF I lean the post back at the lowest possible point (lowest red line). This will allow me to lean the blue line back, so that the body line will not be interupted and will flow right. The dash will have to be cut out (was already going to do that) and a relief cut across the cowl, and this will give me the room I need to lean the posts back properly and be able to retain that line.

[​IMG]

13. I chopped my 49 Ford COE 4 inches. I quartered the roof, keeping all the pillar angles stock. I used a donor roof for the splice pieces. I cut out 2 inches above and 2 inches below my back window so the rear window is still stock height. It is close to same height as the side windows and front windshield. I also cut down and modified my vent windows to still be operational.

My opinion leaning the posts on these trucks does not look good. Chopping a top is enough work, do it right the first time.

My COE for reference, I wil add some detail pics of the chop later. They are on my home computer, this is on my photobucket.
    [​IMG]

14. Here are some detail shots of the chop, as promised:

Attached Files:

15. billydkid

billydkid
    from Newark, CA

I LOVE THAT COE!!!!! I have a '49 and '50 F1. Can't believe that it's almost the same front grill....That is my next project....just need to get one of the three I am working on running:D

16. Scott

Scott

Any updates on this or a full thread on an F1 chop?

17. fortynut

fortynut

I know this is a monkey wrench in the works but howcome you want to chop the top again? Is this going to be a salt assault vehicle? I see these trucks chopped and wince, and I have some pretty weird ideas about what works and won't. And, that said, I have to say when you cut the greenhouse down they look like pillboxes on wheels. And why? What function does making it hard to see out of one these nice, old trucks do that squatting it down toward the ground wouldn't do? Cause, brothers, the wind sees these things like a box anyhow. And, I don't understand form over function entirely, except when it comes to reproduction. If you know what I mean. And whacking the top on a truck is surely turning that formula around bassackwards.

18. fleet-master

fleet-master

Scott ...Alex Gambino posted a pretty detailed thread on chopping a 39 Ford Pickup cab. Pretty much the same as an F1 and my advice would be to do it the way he shows. i wouldn't ever quarter one of these roofs .

Do a search for that thread

19. fleet-master

fleet-master

BigBossED i think your on the right track. Its looking good. IMO by cutting the dash out and releif cutting the cowl ,it'll end up looking good.

Leaned pillars are cool if done properly and not overdone

20. BIGB0SS E.D.D.

BIGB0SS E.D.D.
    from Oklahoma

Guys I hate to say this but I'm parting out the truck. I got in a little too far over my head, and I just don't have the tools to do finish it properly. I will be getting a new project some I can drive and wrench on, maybe do some body mods to it. I will be keepin the cab and finishing it one day, but as of now the truck is at a stand still. I will probably buy another F1 one day and throw this cab on it but that won't be any time soon. As for my next project it probably won't be HAMB friendly, so you might not be seeing any of that. So I guess I leave it at that, so stay frosty everyone.

p.s. I did do the leaned back windshield and it looks badass.:cool:
    (most of the welding is done on it, now, but its just not perfect)

Attached Files:

• 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      339 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      329.7 KB
      Views:
  21. Scott