Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 fleetline project..build update!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matthew mcglothin, Sep 13, 2011.

1. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Well its been awhile since i posted some pics of my fleetline project,so here goes nuthin,by the way im not computer savy so if the pics suck let me know. Also there is a another thread on here i started of the same car but dont know how to show the link.. I started off pulling the motor which was in pretty good running condition, and regasketed everything, painted it. My main focus is not the motor so i kinda wanted to leave it stock and reliable. Im really focused on the exterior and the interior, i want to build a eye catching 60's style custom. While the motor was out i tackled the front susp..I rebuilt it and stepped the lower control arms and cut 2in out of the coils. I really want a low car without bags.. nothing against them, but this car i want different. I reinstalled the motor and moved to the rear susp. i pulled out all the old susp for now to see where it would set.It looks good in the pics not to low and broken looking. Im debateing what im doing for the rear susp. too..maybe some long trailing arms and coilovers. Im at a good stopping point though. This was all done about a month ago. Im haveing heart surgery in a couple of weeks, so i get some updates out after im healed up .Dont worry ,doc says its routine(VSD" heart murmur")surgery. Yeah its sucks im only 29 and having heart surgey, but gotta have it done! anyways enjoy the pics!:)

Attached Files:

2. JMD82

JMD82

The car looks great man!! I like the ride height on the front end, thats something i need to do soon. Looking foward to seeing the updates on this one. Good luck with the surgery.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very cool project-love the Fleetline -take care of yourself after the surgery-one of my sons had a heart valve replaced when he was 13, still doing great as an adult.

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Cool ride - good luck with the surgery

5. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

I like where your going with this, and what a great car to start with.Make it low, but make it right and safe, you'll be glad you did, later.Good luck with the surgery, use the car for motivation, to heal up.Looks great!

6. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm so ready to get back on this thing.Probably won't be til november though. I do have some better pics,those were all cell phone pics they kinda suck.

7. travisty

travisty
    from just moved

Cars looking great so far man. clean. Hope everything goes well with your heart. Looking forward to seeing updates.

8. robleticia

robleticia

Alright!!! You started a build thread! Car is looking really nice. Good luck with your surgery. Please let us know when your home as we will be thinking about you!

9. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Sweet work so far. Keep it up. Good luck on the surgery

10. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Love the engine dude! :cool:

11. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Well, since i cant get any "real" work done on the car and im stuck with light duty work . So i rebuild my shifter mech. this morning. It was kinda cool in my shop this morning so i sat at my workbench and got somthing done. Here is a before and after pic. i think it turned out pretty good. I also added a grease zerk to the top for easier lubing.

Attached Files:

12. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Figured id post another shot of the fleetline ,this shot it had some crappy wheels and tires on it , they are way to short IMO. But i do have these new chrome steelies ready to go when the time comes to mount them. i bought them from rally america.. they were the cheap multi-lugs but im gonna run some dummy lugs to fill the other holes. So it will look like a ten lug wheel. Also i bought the push though bullets to go in the center.

Attached Files:

13. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

14. poorboy

poorboy

Cool project!

15. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

16. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

nice ride you have there matt.

17. t-buckethead

t-buckethead
    from texas

Good luck with surgery! It seems everyone in here in Texas has a fleetline.
    Sounds like we should have a gathering somewhere for 49 to 54 chevys?
    I"M IN...

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

You're going to be very happy with that car when your finished. Your doing what a majority of guys did back in the late 50's early sixties to their first cars when money was short and time was in good supply. Just enough to make it their own without breaking the bank and ending up with a car that was fun to drive and reliable enough you weren't afraid to take a road trip in. It reminds me of my first "driver", a '49 Ford business coupe, lowered, red wheels and whitewalls, flathead w/2 94's,overdrive,dual exhaust w/glaspacks, emblems shaved. The most "bang for the buck" car I've ever owned.

Frank

19. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

Good Luck with the surgery.

And sweet heart you got going in your ride!

20. MentalClinic

MentalClinic
    from Sweden

Very cool project! Any news? :)

21. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Well I'm back! had a heart cath done at Texas childrens hospital in Houston. They put a camera though my main artery at my groin and checked heart pressures and also checked for blockages...everything checked out good! My heart is working as it should besides the hole in the left and right lower chamber wall. They said I could live a normal long life with a hole in the chamber wall. But if the time comes and absolutely need it repaired they will.doc said all my symptoms were from anxiety ....I guess it makes sense cause I was worrying day in and day out. But know I know the good news I feel alot better
    So now comes the fleetine .... Sorry she's gonna be on the back burner due to hefty health insurance deductibles . But I do have some spare money to get my black 51 sedan presentable for roundup this coming next year. So most of my parts ,wheels,and fresh motor will now go in and on my sedan. I guess we can call this the 51 chevy build now. So I've been busy the past week on the transformation. pics of my progress on the 51 soon!

22. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Pics!!! ImageUploadedByTJJ1320613718.632401.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1320613866.511207.jpg motor looks familiar ..huh

23. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

I'm going to rewire the car while I'm into it . The car is in wonderful shape and I've driven it for years but I don't trust the old wiring. I've used ez wire a few times but maybe I'll try rebel this time. And no chop on this one guys , shes my baby and to nice to cut up, I'm just going to stick with the good ol Watson style.

24. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

View attachment 1477330 dash painted. Interior is gonna be all white. I lucked out and my neighbor sews for and livin and said she would make me some white vinyl seat covers for free . May use a simple black insert in the seats too.

25. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I don't want to piss on this parade, but, aren't those lower arms just a little out of level? Is it sitting at ride height now? You did mention low with no bags. The lower arms should be level to the ground so you can have some suspension travel. If not your gonna bang pretty hard no? Also 2 inches out of the springs is pretty aggressive. I think. Why not dropped spindle supports?

26. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

glad to hear everything with the heart worked out. They told me that I had a hole in mine a couple of years ago... I worried for weeks thinking everything I did was gonna kill me. I had a TEC done and they said no hole...doctors...

27. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

yes they are out of level...it won't affect ride quality.I've lowers numous chevys this way.....they actually ride and handle better. The uppers are at a higher angle due to stepped lower a-arms

28. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

ImageUploadedByTJJ1320887460.482497.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1320887533.144879.jpg close up engine pics . I hand painted the AC logo on filter. Hope the pics come out. If not I'll try again.

29. Nice rides. Keep us posted.

30. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Well I work in a body shop and were slow as hell. So I decided to bring my hood to work and put a peak in the center. Here's a shot in primer.. I welded a 1/4 rod down the center the shaped the peak with filler.sorry no pics that my hands were grungy and covered with bondo dust. Got a new iPhone and didn't want to get it all dirty .hope to paint tomorrow . Love working in a body shop .. Unlimited supplies ImageUploadedByTJJ1320978750.782262.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1320978813.261327.jpg and a cool boss.