Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 F1 glass and seals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deplorable, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Deplorable

Deplorable

I need to purchase glass, seals, channels, weather striping etc... for a '50 F1 soon. I have searched the topic here, some of that info is outdated, and or/does not answer my main question.

An online search shows quite a few vendors, I'd like to hear your recommendations on glass vendors. I haven't checked with the local glass shops yet, it's quite possible that one of the local shops can cut the glass.

My main concern is with the seals and channels. This is a budget build, but I want the best quality seals and channels that I can find. "Saving money" in that area may be a false economy.

So, in your experience, who makes high quality seals, channels, etc...? Looking for a good vendor/ quality kits that actually fit, if such a thing actually exists :)

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have a ‘48 F1. I am probably going with Bob’s Classic Glass in Oregon because I can drive to get it and make sure there is no damage before I leave. As for all other parts I am interested in buying once so.... I have heard on here , that Carpenters seals are too . thick ? A friend bought new wing window assemblies for his 1952 Chevy truck and the frame mounting tabs are of :eek:

3. There are a lot of avenues for glass off the web. A lot of this glass is produced by Diamond glass in Taiwan. For channel, Bob Drake, Mac's, and Dennis Carpenter carry some pre-made kits, or you can get 8' or longer (extra shipping) straight lengths from Restoration Specialties in PA. Seals- Mac's, Bob Drake, and Dennis Carpenter have it. IMHO, they all have good quality stuff in that line.

4. mark40h

mark40h
    from quincy,il.

Look up LMC Truck they have everything you will need they have the glass already cut and ready to install.

5. I used LMC rubber when I built my F-1 ten years ago....really poor quality. Dunno if they have improved since then.
    When I built my '51 COE(same seals as PU) a couple years ago I used Dennis Carpenter seals...seemed to be much better stuff.