Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Dodge Wayfarer lowering

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kon-Hemsby, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Kon-Hemsby

Kon-Hemsby

Hi, I'm a newbie to this board, and I'd like some advise.
    I have recently purchased a stock 1950 Dodge Wayfarer. It looks to be in solid original condition.
    I indeed to keep the straight 6, 6v system for the moment.
    I want to lower the car, but still be able to use it without tyres scrapping, or speed bumps hitting the sump. Would you recommend shorter springs and lowering blocks for a lower but usable look, or should I look to airbag it? Would the airbags would on 6V and if so, what would the ride quality be like?

Cheers

2. vwdave30

vwdave30

I would do springs and blocks. get it sitting like ya want and it will look good. To me it just seems like there is too much stuff to break with airbags lines leaking, compressor going out ect... plus when they lay flat on the ground they look like a broke ass minitruck

1952B3b23 likes this.
  3. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

sub frame the front end with a GM front suspension the last one I did I used a nova unit. remove your front sheet metal set your front ride height and weld in the sub frame, pay attention to the scrub line. Installing a sub frame solves a bunch of problems like engine install, brakes steering handling etc. The old Dodge suspension leaves a lot to be desired and upgrade parts are expensive. On the rear install new spring bushings and use blocks and new u-bolts to lower the rear end, a ford maverick/mustang rear end is almost a bolt in on these early dodges

4. My 50 Desoto has 1 1/2 coils cut out of the front and nothing in the rear. I had 2" blocks but the rear tires rubbed. I refreshed my front end with new shocks, tie rod ends, etc and it handles just fine. These aren't high performance cars. desoto110114.jpg

2many projects and 302GMC like this.

5. My 52 Dodge coronet has 3" blocks in the back and 1 coil cut out of the front springs. Front dropped just a little under 2 inches. No rubbing and I still have the 7.10-15 bias ply tires on it

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

De-arch & rebush the rear springs, 2 coils up front, & some gas shocks ...
    '50 DeSoto coupe - nice work !!!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  7. tinsled

tinsled

I've heard, that some folks use ford aerostar coils in the front of these late 40's MoPars.
    The progressive coil improves handling and gives a bit lower stance.
    Plan to do it for mine in near future...

In case you decide to cut the coils, do it conservative; not more than 1 round at first.
    In case you cut too much the car will be un-driveable and there's no un-do but buy new coils...

JeffB2 likes this.
  8. raff23089

raff23089

Rebuilt the rear springs on my 50 Plymouth and put 2 inch blocks in. Pulled out the front springs and cut about 3/4 of a coil off. Put them back in with relocated front shocks and a Jeep Cherokee sway bar. I like the height and the look. Front rides a bit rough now but it's a lot better than it used to be so I'm going to try the Aerostar coils.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1423178656.168982.jpg

JeffB2 likes this.
  9. Ianb77

Ianb77

I had a local welder z the lower control arms of my 50 desoto by 2" then cut out a 1/2 coil. This lowered 3.5" in the front, 1"lowering blocks in the rear. I still need to relocate the shock mount in the front,

Attached Files:

Spedley likes this.
  10. COOP

COOP

11. COOP

COOP

Whoops...... double clicked. Anyway a friend of mine has a '52 Plymouth wagon. He took the spring plates off the lower control arms and moved 'em from the top and put 'em on the bottom. Got quite a drop out of it. I think he took a coil out too.

12. laidbackluis

laidbackluis
    from Sachse Tx

My brother's 50' Chrysler. 1.5" coil up front and 3" blocks. I raised the drive shaft tunnel since we plan to go lower in the future. It's got a 350/350 combo with ford 9" out back. I fabricated motor and trans mount to work with the factory frame and suspension.

I do however like lanb77 idea of z'ing the control arms.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

HotRodRyan likes this.
  14. ford v-8 aerostar springs with one coil cut for the front, makes it ride nice and smooth w/o the wallowing. and the rear just use 3" blocks.

15. Yeah, that's who I got my rear blocks from. Your car most likely has the 1-3/4" wide leaves (mine does)

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I have a set of dropped spindle supports, king pin kit and shock absorbers that I don't need. If you are interested PM me.

17. '50Plym3W

'50Plym3W

6DF68BF9-F605-4E15-AA9B-338BCABEF89C.png Hate to say it, but I'm still confused with regard to the Aerostar Spring scenario. I have a 1950 Plymouth Coupe that I want to lower. The rear is a piece of cake. If I use the Aerostar springs in the front, will they, in stock form, provide any lowering at all, or will they need to be cut to an amount that will suit my lowered preference?

JeffB2 likes this.
  18. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You should get about a 2 1/2" drop maybe another 1/2" after they settle, these are a progressive rate spring it is a bad idea to cut them as some guys found out so don't do it.

19. '50Plym3W

'50Plym3W

I'm going to put in a set of 2" drop Eaton Springs, with the hope of at least getting rid out the open area above the front tires. I have the springs now, but need to get them mounted. I just hope that once mounted and used for a few miles I don't end up having to take things apart and pull them again to cut a little of the spring to get the nice ride height that I'm wanting. Being springs that are a progressive rate in nature, I don't want to ruin new springs. I don't think that 1/4 - 1/2 coil being removed will hurt too much, but more than that will be pushing it. This is how it looks at the present time, without the Eatons.

Attached Files:

20. '50Plym3W

'50Plym3W

That's the exact stance that I hope to achieve with my '50 Plymouth Bus. Coupe. Both front and back!