Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Dodge Coronet and 1948 Ford Coupe builds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gaga4toyz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. gaga4toyz

gaga4toyz

I've made some progress on the cars and I thought I would start a project thread with both cars in it. I can't get as much done as some folks on my rides but I will post as much as possible with updates. My 2 projects are a 1950 Dodge Coronet and a 1948 Ford coupe. My main focus is getting the Dodge Coronet on the road. When I need a break I will switch over to the Ford. I still need to gather a lot of parts for the Ford build, but the hunt has always been half of the fun for me.

This is what I started with. The motor and tranny were half taken apart in the car and some parts are missing from the motor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a complete 1951 DeSoto drivetrain that in good shape that I'm swapping into the car. First thing I started on was removing the hood, upper grill, radiator frame top, and disconnecting all the exhaust, any remaining wires and unbolt the motor and tranny from the mounts.
    [​IMG]

Took a break from the car and took an adult scooter I bought at the thrift store for $25 and lowered the seat and handlebars so the kids can drive it. This sucker is fast. They have been having a blast with it.
    [​IMG]

Woke up early today to beat the Alabama heat and got the motor and tranny pulled out. It was a lot of hot, dirty work but it's out of the car now. This is my first time doing this and I was super excited to get it finished.
    [​IMG]

This was mounted to the side of the motor. What is it? I figured something for the brakes.
    [​IMG]

This is my 1948 ford coupe I bought for $750 with the motor in it. The body is in great shape except for some surface rust and a few holes. The previous owner mounted it to a 78 thunderbird chasis. The more I thought about this frame swap, the more it bothered me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Was looking at craigslist for a state nearby and found this stuff for cheap. The plan is to use my 48 ford coupe body and build it on the 41 frame and use the 41 front end.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took a little break from the Dodge and started taking the ford apart today. This is how far I got.
    [​IMG]

2. v8juice

v8juice

This will be interesting to follow as I have a 1949 Plymouth.

3. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

What you found is a fuel sediment bowl (filter).

4. gaga4toyz

gaga4toyz

I've been on the road the last 4 weeks so I haven't got alot done on the cars, but today I was able to get a full day in. Should be able to update more often now that my work project is almost finished.

Problem is I did something stupid today. The bigger problem is that I know better. I was removing the intake manifold and exhaust manifold and they weren't budging. I was using a small dead blow hammer and lightly tapping on different areas to free them up. Next thing you know the exhaust manifold cracks and breaks. Then I realize there are 2 bolts that were hidden and covered with grease. After I removed the bolts everything came right off. I was so pissed that I made such a stupid mistake and broke the manifold. Luckily I have this dual carb intake and will also be installing dual exhaust. I guess I relearned a lesson to not try and force something and keep looking for those hidden bolts. Should be getting the motor and transmission out of my 1951 DeSoto this week and getting them ready for my 1950 Dodge Coronet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. George

George

Nothing like having an Edmunds hanging around!