Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Chopped Chevy Sedan Delivery

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RMONTY, Jan 15, 2016.

1. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Be sure to check your piston to valve clearance,that can become a problem on 235 intake valves.

2. RMONTY

RMONTY

It's been awhile since I posted anything so a quick update. The weather has cooled off a bit, and was able to make some progress. My engine will be ready to be picked up this week, I have a T5 transmission ready to go in as well as a rear axle from a 96 S10 4WD pickup, 3.73 according to the glove box code. Need to order an adapter and a kit with new springs to mount the rear end.

Here are a few pics of the progress over the summer, really just over the past few weeks as its just been too damn hot in the shop to do much. Made a little body dolly from an old riding mower that turned out really nice. I can move the body around on the gravel driveway easily by myself. More to come soon!

IMG_6694.jpg IMG_6684.jpg IMG_6691.jpg IMG_6689.jpg IMG_6695.jpg

Attached Files:

Jrs50, brEad, Ron Funkhouser and 3 others like this.
  3. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Glad to see progress. Keep at it!

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Glad to hear your still chipping away at. Looks like your project has grown a bit.
    The Wizzard

5. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

That body dolly is clever! Good to see you are still at it.Looks like you are really getting after it. I too am taking a break from outside work until it cools off some.I am getting caught up on a couple of engine builds.

6. RMONTY

RMONTY

Thanks! It has grown a bit, but that's ok. I figured while I was at it, I might as well get a modern transmission and rear axle under the old girl, and while I am doing that, I might as well replace the old, rusty brake lines, and while I am at it, I might as well put a new MC on so I wont have to crawl under the car later to do that, and while I am at it, don't forget new fuel line as the old one is rusted as well..... ......does it ever end? :confused:

Outback and brEad like this.
  7. RMONTY

RMONTY

Steinage, I have all of $60 in the body dolly. I can push that old car around on the gravel driveway by myself with no problems. If I am too tired to do that, I can always hook it up to the tractor or riding mower to get it out of the way/move it around....works better than I ever expected!

brEad likes this.
  8. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Subscribed to see where this ends up.

partssaloon likes this.
  9. Does it ever end,,, L.O.L. ! If you can figure out how to make it end before you have handled every bit of it be sure to let me know. I could tell you a parallel story about my Labor Day weekend project that is still going on. It too was going to be just a "quick fix"
    The Wizzard

Outback likes this.
  10. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Like a true hot rodder ..... it has big and little tires!

brEad likes this.
  11. RMONTY

RMONTY

Yeah it looked like a clown car from a couple of angles but damn! I work alone and this thing has already kept me from loading up on pain killers! It's rolls super easy....I almost hauled that old craftsman riding mower off to the scrapyard a while back....

B Bay Barn likes this.
  12. RMONTY

RMONTY

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Few more pics of the "clown car Dollie"

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stick a Jim Myer or Chassis Engineering front end under that that 4 dr frame. Both well engineered and work. Love you he project.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Any further progress?

15. RMONTY

RMONTY

Just this....maybe some progress this weekend! I feel like Johnny Cash....One piece at a time!

I need to go by after work tomorrow and pick up a piece of plate steel to make a mounting plate for the engine stand to mount this little puppy and get to work! Still wrapped in plastic....just picked it up this afternoon....thanks for checking in!

IMG_6702.jpg IMG_6704.jpg

Outback, brEad and volvobrynk like this.
  16. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Looks good. We ALL feel like johnny Cash ;)

MyCrustyVW and volvobrynk like this.
  17. Heck Ya ! This is the fun stuff.

18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

So you all feel really good then

Keep at it, lad!

Outback likes this.
  19. RMONTY

RMONTY

Got a few things dove over the past few days. Fabbed up an adapter for the engine stand to hang the 235 on and installed the oil pump. All boring stuff if you aren't the one doing it. IMG_6712.jpg IMG_6706.jpg IMG_6714.jpg

brEad, Okie Pete, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  20. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Nice mount adaptor!

21. Yes, the notches have significance. Notches are there for assembly purposes, they must face forward, towards the radiator.

22. Support that engine as best as you can.
    Assembled, its close to 700 lbs hanging out there.
    Many horror stories with that hefty 6 on an engine stand.
    Support it well !

Outback likes this.
  23. deliveryN48chev.jpg Keep going. My 50 was made up from several donor cars, most notably a 49 fordoor sedan that gave up it's entire front clip, both doors and the back half of the rear quarters...see the 49 sedan gas filler door? A 50 Pontiac gave up it's rear bumper [narrowed and shortened] and a 53 chevy gave it's steering gear. That same 4 door gave up it's frame for a buddy's 51 delivery he bought with a 67 chevelle chassis under it!

24. RMONTY

RMONTY

What tail lights did you use? I've seen pics on various threads of your car in various stages. It looked like a patchwork quilt at one point. One of your earlier posts on this thread helped set my level of determination for this project! Thanks for that!

brEad likes this.
  25. RMONTY

RMONTY

Oh it's not going anywhere. That adapter is made of 1/2" plate and is welded on both sides of the plate. I burned it in real good! The stand is rated at 1000 lbs so I'm good there as well.

26. Tailights were aftermarket 50 Pontiac tunneled in using some large diameter [4"? Can't remember] truck exhaust pipe.

27. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Plate looks good.Be careful on that stand about the pinch bolt on the bottom that holds the tube that carries the front axle to the main body of the stand.I own several of those stands and that is a consistent trouble spot.drill through the square tube where the pinch bolt comes up against it and use a longer bolt with a nut and washer on it.

28. RMONTY

RMONTY

Well, the pendulum is about to start swinging the other way. De-construction of the chassis is about done. Got rid of the old stock 216, 3 speed trans, torque tube and rear end. Traded a guy all that stuff for some POR15 products to be used on the chassis, and a nice SS engine bolt set, and we were both happy. I chose the Chassis Engineering rear suspension kit and that will be here on Thursday or Friday, and I have been in the shop this morning getting the S10 rear end ready to start fitting it up with the perches from the kit. IMG_6747.jpg IMG_6752.JPG IMG_6753.jpg IMG_67641.jpg IMG_6769.jpg IMG_6770.jpg

29. Hey, hey - your last pic looks like it would make a nice scenery type picture or a painting.....a great backyard & room for more - gearhead musings

volvobrynk likes this.