Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Chevy styleline deluxe wheel cylinders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47streamliner, May 26, 2016.

1. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Hey guys looking to see if any of you know any part numbers for rear wheel cylinders . I did a search on here didn't find anything so I thought I'd ask .

Really don't wanna spend the $60-90 each from ecklers or national Chevy .

Thanks for the help

Mike

2. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Have you checked with Chevs of the 40s or The Filling Station ? Or if its in the budget, convert to a '51 to '54 rear end with Bendix brakes. Easy swap. Better brakes.

3. try Rock Auto

4. drew1987

drew1987

These are difficult to find and service. I looked everywhere and found no rebuild parts. At one point, I cross referenced rebuild kits that would work and I still have them. Never got around to it now I have a 1957 rear. You can have them if you'd like but no guarantee that it will work. I am 99% certain

5. Probably not what you want to hear, but you would be way ahead of the game if you could come up with a set of 51 to 54 brakes front and rear, and swap the whole setup out. they work way better and parts are readily available. Here is what I used on my 51 and it stops great. 51 to 58 Chevys use the same wheel cylinders, shoes and hardware.

http://www.musclecarbrakes.com/bib5170chevy.html

6. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Thanks for the info ! The front is being converted to disc & the rear will eventually swapped with a 56 rear end in have when I do the v8 swap.

But not sure when that's gonna happen , haha. So i need rear brakes that work well and aren't stupid expensive . Before I do the disc conversion I need to replace the wheel cylinders because the bleeder screws are all shitted up .

I hope I can just replace it all with 51-54 setup you guys mentioned

7. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

I just realized that you can't just swap backing plates etc for the rear you have to swap the whole rear end .... Grrr

8. RMONTY

RMONTY

Describe "the bleeder screws are all shitted up"......can the bleeder screws be replaced?

9. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Shitted up meaning they are corroded to the point that they are frozen in the wheel cylinder and the metal on the screw has gotten so soft the corners just smear

So when I do the disc conversion I won't be able to bleed the air out

10. RMONTY

RMONTY

PB Blaster, soaking in molasses, a little heat....all these could be attempted. Use a pair of small vice grips to break the bleeder screws loose, if they don't break off first. The worse that could happen is you ruin them, which if you don't do something, they are ruined anyway? Just a suggestion....

I'm not sure about the "disc conversion" you are talking about, but most disc brakes I have ever seen have a caliper that has its own internal "wheel cylinder" as such and it's own bleeder screw. Maybe I just haven't been around long enough....???

11. flatty1

flatty1

National Chevy in St. Paul, MN has all you need for it check them out.

12. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Rmonty - I'm trying to avoid doing damage that might compromise a working brake system before I have a replacement solution .

The disc brake part is only a part of the issue because once I take the old style master and front wheel cylinders off for the conversion I will have to bleed out the air that was introduced . Can't do that with the rear wheel cylinders that I can't crack open.

What it boils down to is project is on hold until a rear wheel cylinder solution is found .

13. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Flatty1 - I know they have the cylinders but I was not looking to spend the 80-90 each just yet , if I can avoid it

14. OneWrench

OneWrench

Im in the middle of trying figure out the brakes on mine and not swap the rear too.

15. drew1987

drew1987

Hey man, should be able to find new bleeders for $4 in the HELP section. As I said, I did all this research once and bought rebuild kits of the same bore you can have but no promises it will work (logically/ mathematically it should). Converting to bendix temporarily will be a waste, especially behind front discs.

16. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Awesome thank you , if I can get the bleeder screws with out snapping them off ill message you !

17. drew1987

drew1987

Ok good luck!

18. drew1987

drew1987

Hey double check my research but I have 1 1/8 rubber cups and then the boots for the ends of the cylinders in two sizes. There is also a spring. You should be able to get a small hone for a drill and clean up the bore, and then I used brake fluid and like 1500 grit to wet sand my pistons (when I did the front, that is) and 6,000 miles no issues. They were taken out of service for a full 54 front end swap. No leaks.

If the rears are 1 1/8 you should be able to do the above using the parts I have. Also, if the HUCK bleeder screws are the same as the bendix (1/4x20 I think) I have some of those too.

19. classic1950

classic1950

You can go to the Auto Parts store they have them or can order them for you the part number for a 1950 Chevy car rear cylinder is WC-3398. They are the same on both sides

20. classic1950

classic1950

Just ran across your post when I was looking for a set for my 1950 Chevy car the part number your looking for is WC-3396

21. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Just looked and Chevs of the 40's www.chevsofthe40s.com has the following for 50 models -
    rear wheel cylinders @ $40 ea.
    front wheel cylinders @ $50 ea.
    front cylinder repair kit @ $14.95 ea.
    Rear cylinder repair kit @ $23.50 ea.
    Bleeder valves @ $1.49 each.
    I have bought a lot of stuff here.
    You can order from website and if you ask they will send a free paper catalog. They have separate catalogs for car, truck, street rods. Above quotes from car catalog.
    Jimmie

22. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I went to NAPA and bought front wheel cyl. for a 50 chevy. $11. rears were around $60