Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Chevy steering play

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thewanderers, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Thewanderers

Thewanderers
    from Australia

Hey, I have seen a few posts around steering play.

I have just rebuilt steering box and idler arm in my 1950 hardtop.
    It has made a massive improvement, but still have a small amount of play. I suppose next thing is to replace tie rod ends and kingpins.

I guess my question now is

Is there always going to be some play in these cars?

2. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Where did you get the rebuild kit from? I assume you are running stock box and column

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

It would be a good starting point and certainly make the car more driveable. There should be some free play that you don't want to adjust out and make the steering too tight. Look at upper and lower inner and outer control arm bushing. When done there maybe check the shocks and sway bar bushing. You might as well do the whole front end, not that expensive, only takes time. You won't regret it.
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1949_51/index.html

4. "Play" depends on what car you are comparing. Older cars will never feel like a newer car, and steering box type cars will have different 'feel' to rack and pinion. What you feel, depending on your experience, maybe quite normal.

Cosmo

Frankie47 likes this.