Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Chevy hardtop--Here goes nothing!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostinmiself, Mar 22, 2014.

1. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

So this car may have been floating around here somewhere from the previous owner. I remember searching 1950 Chevy on google finding the one I owned in someone else's build thread. Never the less my pops traded a 58 bisc. 4d for this a while a go. He has many projects, so I conned him into selling it to me. Came with (according to previous owner) a freshly rebuilt 327/350, 10bolt rear end, rebuild breaks, new this, fixed that. It sat at my pops for a couple years before I got it, so I got it running last year, but it was due for a carb rebuild. So after doing that and pulling the intake manifold to swap to an aftermarket performer I noticed some corrosion in the head chambers. So I pulled the heads, and decided to just go ahead and rebuild the engine. So while the engine was out I noticed the engine mounts were welded like crap, and trans mount was a 1"X2" steel square bolted to the frame. Lots of little half assed things done. So I'm basically ditching all that work and fixing it accordingly. Got the front hubs turned, and shoes are good so I am reassembling that currently. I noticed the shoes were pretty floppy, and felt loose. Is that right? Seems like they should be pretty solid...but maybe I'm wrong...anyway if anyone has input that would be great!
    [​IMG]

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  2. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Rabbit hole keeps getting deeper, going to clean up the frame, and all the suspension components. Paint it all black and make it presentable. From a carb rebuild to this in 5 days, never doing this before for a 23yr old I think I'm doing alright. Got to find a column to replace mine since the splines on mine are now gone, due to the previous owner using vice grips rather than a steering wheel. Also have to source some interior knobs for the dash, and wire it. Then body work...

Attached Files:

3. R Pope

R Pope

Those are Hucks brakes. Do yourself a favour and find some '52-'54 backing plates and shoes, they are much better and bolt right on.

4. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

So a spring goes on that pin, holds the shoes between the lower bracket on the spindle. So I have to see if I can find a spring locally, or order one online. As for the later backing plates, the self adjusting the only benefit?

5. the '51-4 brakes are not self-adjusting, but are self-energizing due to their design. They are a much better brake design.

6. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Cool ride... after you're done with the brakes, grab a saw and bring that roof top down a little. ;)

7. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Must have misunderstood what I had read. I will look into it, I found the tech: 49-53 master cylinder swap thread that swaps from the single four breaking, to the fronts/rear split breaking from a late Chevy truck, that I can place in the stock location. So when In swapping that I might upgrade the front breaks as well to the later plates. Forgive me if I ask "searchable" questions, I will try my best to find my answers rather than being spoon fed. Thanks!

8. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Ya!!! My buddy keeps telling me that, over and over and over, as much as I love a chop, I want to drive it before I do any sorts of body work.

9. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That '50 Chevy hardtop is, in my opinion, one of the best looking Chevys ever. I had a '51 in High School, many, many years ago, but always liked the '50 best. The teardrop rear fenders, the simple, but tasteful grille....difficult to improve on that.

Chop the top ???? :eek::eek: ...........That's heresy!!! :D

Seriously, a LOT of work with little to gain on an already nicely proportioned design. I think you are on the right track, correcting prior poor work and making improvements that will result in a good, reliable and attractive driver.

Best wishes......Thanks for posting!

11. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Ya its not something im willing to tackle on my own at this point, so it wont be done for a very long time....if at all.

This entire build is a learn as i go process. Always helped my pops as a kid but never understood why i was doing what i was doing from the big picture angle. Now the pieces are all coming together. Going to disassemble the sub, in the coming week. Working 4 10s gives me nice weekends to get things done.

12. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

I also have a 50 Hardtop. I would never consider cutting on it. Theres plenty coupes and sedans out there.

13. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

seems like I was able to convert my 50 to the 51-54 backing plates, and then used 64 chevy truck rear calipers (shoes)? and self adjusters so that I could go the self adjusting route....
    I gathered up all the parts a few years ago, but never put anything together...

14. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

I will just sand blast the entire break assembly, got a buddy that can do smaller things like that at his work for me so that's a plus then I wull get new shoes, and use what i have. I am on a budget for the most part, so if i have to spend it better be something i need rather than an upgrade. Got myself a Hobart 110 welder, and a Craftsman air compressor today. My work season starts bright and early tomorrow so most Mondays-Thursdays will be slow going, construction season is back in effect!

15. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Some cleaning up on everything...slow and steady.

Attached Files:

16. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Also picking up a 49 donor car tomorrow. Can't beat $300 to get all the small things I need, and any good body panels to fix what I need to on mine

Attached Files:

17. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

I WANT that wheel for the '49 !!!!

18. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

That's part of why I'm getting it. Haha

19. Good Luck Rockstar!!!!!

20. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Thanks! Got everything to rebuild the engine today, and paint for the engine compartment. Slow and steady...

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that steering wheel is probably worth what you paid for the whole car even in bad condition.

22. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  23. wayfarer

wayfarer

Welcome from Spokane. I have a '53 wagon, but my Mom has a '50 hardtop. I love early '50s Chevys. What part of town are you in?

24. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Thank you! Out in the valley, you might know chopperimpala, that's my pops.

25. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Jeff,
    That's my son. It was hard to do, but I finally caved in and let him buy the '50 from me.

...shit,edit

Jeff, I didn't notice he told you I'm his "POP'S"!!!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  26. wayfarer

wayfarer

I do know your Dad, in fact he did a little work for me on the wing window in my Mom's '50 a couple of years ago.

Ken, I didn't even know you had that hardtop.

27. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good project. Don't cut it. If your wheel cylinders are good , you can get some use from what you have. I'd be on the lookout or the 51-54 backing plates and hubs; you can buy the rest of the parts new.

28. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Taking that to be blasted.

Attached Files:

29. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Ya everything seems to be useable cleaning it and reusing what I have. Replacing what I must to be safe.

30. lostinmiself

lostinmiself

Not much going on, with working 4 10s and it raining in my days off I don't really get much done, as I am working outside without a garage, but my buddy get a couple pieces blasted for me. He has access to a blaster at his work, so when he gets time he slips a piece in at a time for me.

Attached Files: