Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Chevy 350 swap help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JimboSlice423, Apr 1, 2017.

1. JimboSlice423

JimboSlice423
    from Ohio

Putting a 350 in my 50 styleline. Does anyone have pictures of how they modified the trans cross member? This is my first project, so learning as I go hahaha

2. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

Hahaha. A million threads on this... do a search

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There are lots of different threads, and ways of doing this. Some are fairly easy, some are very complicated. "Most" guys just remove the center 10 inches or so, and weld in some brackets to bolt a removable section to. At least one company makes an entirely removable "K" member, but that involves removing a bunch of rivets in order to remove the stock "K" member (why not just use the stock "K" member, remove the rivets, and replace with bolt/nuts, and use Chassis Engineering's weld-in transmission mount?). The parking brake cables attach to a bracket that's welded to the stock cross-member, and the parking brake lever/cables then have to be removed in order to remove the "K" member, but it really does't matter much because the under-hood/interior parts of the parking brake also have to be removed; they are in the way with a V-8 swap. We removed the center of the stock cross-member, modified a Dodge Dart crossmember to fit, welded a plate for the transmission mount to bolt to, and called it done. We then used a floor mounted parking brake lever (car had bucket seats), but that won't fit well with a bench seat. There's a V-8 swap sticky over on ChevyTalk.Org that contains a lot of information; you'll find it at the top of the 49-54 Chevrolet forum. The transmission mount available from Chassis Engineering is a strictly weld-in affair, and the transmission can't be removed without pulling the engine (see making the stock "K" member removable above), but it is probably the cheapest method, and the parking brake cable lever remains intact. It kinda boils down to how easy do you want this to be, and how much do you want to spend? There are several build threads here and over on chevyTalk.Org, and everyone does things just a little differently. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Just cut out the center section on the cross member, use a pcs. angle iron welded trans mount too it a bolt it to the original cross member , then you can unbolt it and remove the transmission,

46international likes this.

5. ^^^^ That is what I did with '54 ^^^