Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Chevy 3" Lowering Blocks vs De-arched Springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mlagusis, Aug 27, 2020.

1. mlagusis

mlagusis

My son and I are building his 1950 Chevy 2 door fast back. We are putting a SBC, 700r4 and 1955 Chevy car rear end. We want to lower the car 3". When we pull the stock rear end, we are going to clean up the stock springs, repaint them, paint the frame/floor, put new bushings, shocks and install the new rear end. I can't decide if we should lower with 3" blocks or have the springs de-arched. What are your thoughts?

2. mlagusis

mlagusis

more info, found a shop that can de-arch them 3" for $190. They cold press the leafs individually, then reassemble them. They said they can reverse the main leaf as well. I am leaning towards that option but want to hear feed back from others.

3. junkman8888

junkman8888

Re-arching and re-using the springs you have is false economy.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. mlagusis

mlagusis

Hnstray and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. RMONTY

RMONTY

That's not a bad price for the springs, I wouldn't think. I bought a Chassis Engineering set a few years back that is stock height, it came with shocks, and new brackets, and a shock mount bar to get the shocks out of the trunk area, and it had new u-bolts, for around $800 I think.

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

De-arch yours. Do a search on doing it yourself - not at all hard to do.
    Never been a fan of all the extra crap hanging down from the axle with blocks ...

RMR&C likes this.
  7. mlagusis

mlagusis

I saw the CE kit. Looks pretty nice. I am really trying to keep this a simple build as possible. Besides the 55 Chevy rear, we are swapping discs up front and dropped spindles as well. I think we might get new springs, bushings, u bolts and shocks and call it good.

I agree about the blocks. I think we need to go 3" lower to end up where we want it and I feel like that is too much for me personally.

8. RMONTY

RMONTY

What I liked about the CE kit was that it got rid of the "shock mounting through the trunk floor" situation.

mlagusis likes this.
  9. Your stock springs are 1-3/4 wide and warped in tin.

back in the day there was a special tool to grease the springs and this probably was not done for years , so I would bet you have more then one leaf cracked under the tin wrap.

also the centering bolt is not centred , not a big deal but you would have to either make up lowering blocks with the offset hole to mate with the off set spring, or redrill your spring perch.

posies and chassis engineering both make bolt on rear spring kits for these cars that go in super easy.

I used the chassis engineering kit in my 50 fleetline and it comes with a cross meme bet to bolt the shocks to instead of the truck floor
    Helps to stiffen things up in the rear as well.

RMONTY and mlagusis like this.
  10. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Will de-arching the springs 3" move the "eyes" out too far for your shackles? If not that sounds like the way to go. Good luck, I love those 50 Chevys

mlagusis likes this.
  11. mlagusis

mlagusis

I think de-arching them will lengthen the springs. I think buying new springs that are 3" lowered already is probably the best option.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

From personal experience, 3" blocks start to flirt with scrub line issues on these cars.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    mlagusis likes this.
  13. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I just bought a set of leaf's for my 56 Olds, Jamco had good prices (almost half of Eaton Spring!) You cna order them in any config, from stock to 4" lower. Old springs IMHO, can be metal fatigued, and fail on you!

14. mlagusis

mlagusis

That's what I am afraid of the more I think about this. I am going to buy new springs 3" lower than original ride height. I will check out JAMCO.

302GMC and RMONTY like this.
  15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Be warned the Posies drop springs for these Chevys end up raising it, Ive seen it happen on 2 different cars. Id go with a 3' block, trim your bumpstop and see how you like that before spending a bunch on other stuff. For 60$ and an hour or 2 work you cant go wrong.

mlagusis likes this.
  16. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got the TCI Parabolic Spring kit from Todd at Waltons Fab. They are supposed to lower the rear 2" and give a much better ride, I haven't installed them yet so I can't tell you if that is so or not. It's not cheap, the kit sells for $699.00.

Sounds like you might just as well use the block and see if it does what you want it to, if not you don't have a bunch of money tied up in it and can look at other options.

mlagusis likes this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

My thought is you have 70 year old springs that you are basing your "3 inch lower" on, if the spring manufacturer makes a 3 inch lowered spring, my bet it's based on a new-70 year old spring. So 3 inches lowering spring could just put you about where you are now.

Maybe scan the web and try to find what a newish '50 sits like, compare to yours as it sits now.

mlagusis and RMR&C like this.
  18. Mimilan

Mimilan

??????????? explain [maybe you've used the wrong terminology]

"Scrub radius" is king pin inclination and wheel centre geometry on the front steering
    upload_2020-8-28_20-59-18.png

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Mimilan .....i think you called it correctly.....incorrect terminology. great illustration though of ‘scrub radius’.

i think @Nostrebor meant “scrub line”........that no point on the car would contact the ground below the rim if the tire(s) were flat.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    wheeldog57, DIYGUY and guthriesmith like this.
  20. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Yes I did mean "scrub line". Sorry for the verbal slip.

21. Terrible80

Terrible80

If it was me, I'd make blocks of square or rectangular tube 1/4 or 3/8 wall. You can drill them to center your axle as needed and see if the ride height is what you want. I'd go 2" and see how it looks 3" seems pretty tall.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.
  22. missysdad1

missysdad1

As I recall early Chevies like yours use a narrow spring because they rely on the torque tube to locate the rear axle. When you eliminate the torque tube the narrow springs may not be adequate to locate the rear axle in performance applications. Keep this in mind.

23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On my 40 coupe we used a Chassis Engineering spring kit with 2 inch blocks. Where I'm going with this is the CE spring kit places the wheels a little to far forward so I found some inexpensive adjustable lowering blocks at Speedway. They helped to center the rear on the 40 and would work on your Chevy.

mlagusis likes this.