Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Cadillac transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CMurph, May 6, 2017.

1. CMurph

CMurph
    from buffalo

I have a 1950 series 60 Fleetwood Cadillac and as of right now it has a seized motor. I'm curious if there are any motors that may bolt up to the 4 speed hydramatic tranny? Dollars are my issue at the moment and if I can find a quick fix just to get this on the road. Thanks

2. samurai mike

samurai mike

unstick the motor is your best bet. you can't take the trans off with the motor stuck anyway. 32 bolts on the converter!

LOU WELLS, clunker and CMurph like this.
  3. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Getting it on the road - least money is likely an engine swap.

Not a lot of future Caddy stuff like AC and such in 1950, right? Reasonably simple swap, but none really are.

Hate to suggest a SBC - but you can't argue with the economics...

BFC

4. Another Cad engine '49 to '53 will bolt to tranny, top of bell housing is built into block.

There's one for sale here on Hamb

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1953-cadillac-331-engine-hydro.1050912/

Too much money? How are you going to do a swap for less?

Try to free up your block, probably the only cheap and ez solution, you have nothing to lose. A frozen 331 isn't worth much. Like Mike said, your not going to split the drivetrain until you free it up anyway.

Tons of posts here and elsewhere on how to try that. What have you got to lose?

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=136889.0

CMurph likes this.

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

49-54 Cadillac (with integral bell housing) engine would bolt right up. That would be the simplest solution.
    As far as removing the transmission from engine, do this instead:

Remove the main and rod bearing caps, timing cover and chain/sprockets. Then unbolt the transmission from the bell housing and remove the crankshaft with transmission from engine block.

warbird1 and clunker like this.