Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1950 Cadillac - Custom - QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by BigPeter, Oct 21, 2013.

1. BigPeter

BigPeter
    from Tucson

I stumbled upon the following car.

1950 Cadillac chassis and mechanicals. Caddy parts from 1950-1956.

Owner says it made the car show rounds in the 1960s but doesnt know the builder. He also thought it was in a few magazines.

Anyone recognize the car and who the builder might be? Or have an old magazine with it spotlighted?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Peter

Attached Files:

2. 51_special

51_special

looks a lot like one of the original GM motorama cars. not sure but maybe the great Rik Hoving can help out a bit more

3. BigPeter

BigPeter
    from Tucson

Who's Rik Hoving? :)

4. 51_special

51_special

[​IMG]
    looks a lot like this one but obviously different year so maybe someone got the idea to build their own after seeing this or they got a hold of the original and "updated" it.

5. hudson48

hudson48

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Did you buy it? I was looking at the ad but I thought the car was just too expensive. I think it was built by an individual or a custom shop, it looks very well done, it is not a GM built car. It is still very cool indeed.

7. I think it has a fighting chance if one were to bring the windshield and front bumper/grill into better proportions with the smaller body...ie; chop windshield a few inches, and tuck and thin the front bumper/grill..it's just too massive for the much smaller scale of the body

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Agreed, I'd still drive it just the way it is but that interior is terrible

9. this is a crappy photoshop, but along the lines of what I was getting at. the bumper was tough to do because of the viewpoint angles, etc...anyway

Attached Files:

10. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

I would snatch it up as is, if I could afford it. Dig it regardless what the history is!

11. Also favors the 1953 Cadillac Lemans Motorama car a bit with the flat sides and scoops in the rear 1/4's.

Attached Files:

12. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

I would snatch that up in a hurry! Thats a really cool car! Im really digging the paint color.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The guy was asking $50,000 for it, that's too much, if it was in the $20,000-25,000 range it might be worth it.

14. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

Holy balls....50k? Unless he can provide documentation that both the president and the pope both owned it at the same time...not worth it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. squeaky32

squeaky32

i pull this ad up everytime im on cl and look at it, as cool as it is, i dont feel its worth what they want, its not that cool.

16. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Welcome to the HAMB Peter.

17. Thee1pope

Thee1pope
    from Arizona

This Looks Like one of the four 1953 Cadillac Le mans concept cars: One of the concept cars crafted for the 1953 GM Motorama was the Cadillac Le Mans, a sporty yet elegant car with a single bench seat. Among the many noteworthy features of the metallic silver-blue fiberglass show car was a modified 331 V-8 said to produce 250hp thanks, at least in part, to dual four-barrel carburetors; this was 20 horsepower more than a stock 331.
    Ultimately, three more Le Mans' were built - two more for use as show cars and one for the president of Fisher Body, an entity of General Motors. Originally they were all painted the same metallic silver-blue as the first Le Mans. I would say this car has been restored with a new interior and exterior because from what I have found out is 3 of the cars were painted Blue & Silver and one of them was Re-Painted Black. Here is a web site I found with this info: http://1953cadillaclemans2.blogspot.com/2012/06/le-mans-2-nearly-forgotten.html#comment-form They also say that Buddy Holly used one in one of the Movies he was in.

18. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

WHY is there always a critic of a car that was built 50 plus years ago...???

R-

19. atomickustom

atomickustom

Buddy Holly didn't use one, Gary Busey sat in one in the movie Buddy Holly Story (Was Buddy Holly even in any movies? I have no idea, but I do clearly remember Busey sitting in that car in the movie about Buddy Holly.)