Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Caddy Limousine (What to do with it?) NOW WITH PICS!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailhead65, Jan 15, 2008.

1. nailhead65

nailhead65

I received a 1950 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine from a family member who got the car when it was in the building she purchased. This family member asked me if I wanted it because she knew that I was in to old cars. Now I have a big monstrocity of a car that I don't know what to do with.

From the way it looks, just about every part is with the car. It is partially disassembled. The car has dents on just about every panel, the front of the rear quarters have some rot, the floors are rotted out completely, the rear seats are missing and the steering wheel is missing. (that is all I can think of off the top of my head)

The front fenders, hood and rear decklid are in good shape (no rot), there is new stainless trim (still in their shipping containers), brand new front and rear bumpers that have beautiful chrome, the 331 looks good but I have no idea if it runs, it has the 4 speed overdrive transmission, etc, etc. Basically everything looks factory as if they were going to do a restoration on the car. There are a bunch of NOS parts with it (coils, cap and rotor, new carb, etc.).

My question is, what should I do with this car? Also, what is this car worth if I were to try and sell it? Would I be better off parting it out or trying to sell or trade it as a whole. I personally would like a mid 30's to 40's coupe. I was thinking of trying to trade it for something like that, but I'm not really sure what kind of value this thing has. Oh, I don't have a title for it so the only thing I would be able to provide is the bill of sale.

Who's got some answers?

Thanks

2. nexxussian

nexxussian

Do you have any Pictures?

3. nailhead65

nailhead65

Sorry, I forgot to mention....I have pictures and I will post them up here later today. They're at home and I'm at work.

4. captainflight

captainflight

I have thought of starting an antique / classic limo service in the past but your car sounds like it would take too much work to be profitable. I would part it out. Lots of guys like those old Cad engines for rods and there are plenty of restorers out there looking for other parts.

5. Winterbear

Winterbear

There was a article in hemmings probably in 06 about a caddy restoration place in NY very impressive looking high $ stuff I wonder if they would be interested in the whole car, can't immagine there were or are a whole lot of caddy limos around.
    CR

6. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

While this vintage are among my favorites, if I drag another project home I'll be singing saprano.:eek: I could use some parts though;) Keep us posted if you decide to part it.
    Al:cool:

7. montclaire

montclaire

[​IMG]

Like this? You could restore it and rent it out for weddings or sell it to a place that does such things. Another option would be to sell it to a place that rents vehicles to movie productions, Cinema Vehicle Services comes to mind. You could always try to shorten it into a coupe, but I bet the frames on those things are super heavy duty.

8. southdiver1

southdiver1

Personally, I think you should part it out..
    I know a guy that can use the bumpers and grll.....

9. DRIVE IT!!!!! It looks kooool as hell.. I love it.

10. nailhead65

nailhead65

That's it! The car looks exactly like that, except it is black.

I thought about putting it together to drive it but I just don't have the time with all the other projects I am into at the moment. I don't just want it sitting around. It is stored indoors in a climate controlled building right now but I don't think I'll be able to make the swing into the door of my shop with this beheamoth so it would just end up sitting outside and rotting.

As far as its condition, I know from my description that it probably seems pretty rough but I think someone who wanted to take the time could really make this a nice vehicle. From what I've found, you can buy a lot of the reproduction parts like floorboards for it so it shouldn't be too difficult of a project.

As far as parting it out...I was thinking that might be my best option. I'll get pictures up later today and let you guys give me some input.

Southdriver...the bumpers and the center bar for the grille are literally brand new. They are still wrapped up. I unwrapped part of the grille and the chrome looks absolutely flawless. Do you have any idea what they're worth?

At the very least, I'm going to put the new carb on it with a can of gas and see if I can get the motor running. It's not a torque tube tranny and from what I understand its a 4 speed, does anyone know about that?

11. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

I would trade or sell it to someone who REALY wants it and has a good game plan. If your not realy into it from the start there realy isnt a point to having it.

12. pic?????? ok .. well slam it !!

13. I agree with Montclaire-

Good money can be made by driving for weddings, proms, etc.

14. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

i would be intrested in buying it. pm me with the price you have in mind for the car

and if you can email me good pictures

[email protected]

15. nailhead65

nailhead65

Pics!!!

I'll push it outside and get more when I get a chance. (Possibly this weekend) For some reason the passenger's door, hood and trunk lid are off the car but they are all there and in good shape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I would do it up similar to this

Attached Files:

17. nailhead65

nailhead65

Dammit guys! Stop making me like this car. I can't afford another one!

Lockwood...that one is awesome.

So now that you guys are seeing the pics, what do you think? I can't keep it but I don't know if I should part it or sell it as a whole since it is definitely solid enough to be restored.

18. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

19. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I like that engine!!!!!

20. You can't make up your mind without facts, talk to the guy that wants to buy it.

21. nailhead65

nailhead65

I'm going to throw a battery in, the new carb, and run it off a gas jug to see if I can get it to start this weekend.

After doing a little research I learned that this was a swap that some of the 50's hotrodders did in old coupes. It's a 331 CI V8. With a 2 barrel Carter Carb it made 312 ft/lbs of torque! I'm sure with a few little modern tricks this motor would make some nice power.

22. nailhead65

nailhead65

Oh....Slag, you have an email.

23. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

if it is about money part it out. if you care about old cars on the road sell it as a whole to some one who wants to fix it.

24. nailhead65

nailhead65

Either way, it's going to help keep old cars on the road. If I sold it for parts I would put that money back into my own cars to put them on the road.

I really want a 35 or 36 coupe of any make. I would love to trade someone for a body and rolling chassis.

Way to lay the guilt on Slag! You're almost as good as my Italian grandmother!!! I will get over there and see what's what and come up with a price for you. If you want to take the trip and look at it, we're only about 45 minutes from the Delaware Water Gap so it shouldn't be too much of a drive from Northern Jersey.

25. jonny o

jonny o

If it were mine, I would sell it to slag under one condition. He would pick me up and drive me around in it after it's finished. Who wants to get laid in the back of a '96 lincoln towncar limo anyway? I'll take the Caddy!

I would keep it whole, either in your garage or someone else's.

26. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Yeah I bet you would like to trade your free pile for a rolling mid 30s to 40s coupe.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Why don't you do a proper intro in the correct place and then come back and stroke everybody about the trade you would like to make with your free pile!!!

27. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

I've got that same steering wheel.

28. southdiver1

southdiver1

Wait wait woah...
    You have a new carb for this thing?

29. There are a number of clubs dedicated to commercial cars (limos, hearses, etc). You might try contacting some of them and see if anyone bites. To someone who wanted to restore the whole thing, you might get all (or most) of the cash you'd get parting it out if you play it right, but with less hassle. You never know, until you try. I'd make you an offer myself, but I already have a yard full of projects. In the condition that one is in, you could get a fair price, but probably not enough to buy a decent 35 or 36 coupe. Getting it to run (if you can without a big investment of time or money) will raise the value considerably. Especially if you can get the engine to run, it is probably worth more as parts than as a whole car. Just don't crush it - once you are done parting it out, sell it to someone who wants the body, even if you only get $25 or $50, so that it doesn't get crushed. It could be used to fix a wrecked car that isn't rusted out, at the very least.

The resto place in New York someone mentioned is probably FEN http://www.fenenterprises.com/ and they do REALLY nice work, if you are into that sort of thing (i.e. chalk-mark restorations). They also have their own private indoor Cadillac junkyard. It may be worth contacting them, since you are in that part of the country. Personally, I'd like to see what Slag would do with it :D

30. I,d be concerned about whoever owned it showing up and laying claim to it. Just because she bought the building doesn,t mean sho owns the car. Find out about title before you spend any bucks on it. Parting it out on the other hand does not require titling it.....