Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 4 Door Merc Build...Sort Of.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Jun 6, 2010.

1. HRod 50

HRod 50

Rick: Done....

Attached Files:

• 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      33.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      31.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      37.4 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      36 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      5.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      4.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      5.6 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      28.1 KB
      Views:
    • 9.JPG
      9.JPG
      File size:
      31.9 KB
      Views:
    • 10.JPG
      10.JPG
      File size:
      24.2 KB
      Views:
    • 11.JPG
      11.JPG
      File size:
      31.3 KB
      Views:
  2. HRod 50

HRod 50

New Items to the list..........

21. Center console redone in fiberglass and painted to match dashboard ( console to have opening for Navigation style radio, opening for vintage air
    control, open for air bag system, open for rear monitor, 2 cup holders, gear shift rod)
    22. Clean up gages area and paint.
    23. Wire everything up.
    24. Drivers side floor sheet metal removal and replace.
    25. Trunk sheet metal removal and replace.
    26. Remove and re install Body, replacing body mounts and bolts.
    27. Under coat exterior body
    28. Sand blast, prime, and paint frame.
    29. Rear fender wells fixed and replaced.
    30. Box Frame

I thought I only wanted 2 items.. BAg system, and tank.. Ughhhhh!!!!!

3. I thought you´d only just bought the car. I´ll keep watching as I have a sneaky suspicion that it´s already pretty far along.
    Or is it finished already?:D

4. HRod 50

HRod 50

Ohh No it's not done yet.. I bought thecar in november, and it's been at Extreme Kustoms since December... Its pretty far along, but not ready to be driven.. stay tuned....

5. HRod 50

HRod 50

Rolling frame..

Attached Files:

6. HRod 50

HRod 50

Add to list:

31: Air Conditioning.. Hot here in SoCal...

7. RQuantz

RQuantz
    from Las Vegas

I'm happy to see you didn't abandon this thread. It's good to see this cracked-out prostitute of a car being turned into perhaps something classy.

8. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

looks like your headed in the right direction...good to see

9. glassguy

glassguy

here in new england we would call those floor boards "mint" !!!! lookin good

10. HRod 50

HRod 50

Praise for my Builder:

Rick Erickson of Extreme Kustoms is my builder, and friend. Through his honesty, hardwork, and talent, there's nothing I would not do for the guy. I visit Rick, deliver parts, and to view the progress on my car about once a week. Its about 83 miles one way, and if you know LA traffic this can take 1 hour 30mins or 2 hours 30mins..So it's quite a trip everytime I go. During this build I've offered to Rick to help him by showing my appreciation, with anything he needs from the LA side. Here are photos of a frame I picked up for Rick. Great deal on that frame, btw..

I also built a storge box, to help store parts, while Rick and his boys work away at my Merc.

Also, you will never see me at a car show without wearing an Extreme Kustoms T-Shirt...

Thanks to Rick Erickson of Extreme Kustoms, and the boys that work for him..

Attached Files:

11. Pre-game

Pre-game

what paint scheme are you planning on when all said and done? thing is going to be sweet when its done, I like the fact I didnt have to wait 6 months to see all the progress so far.. hehe, good build man giving me inspiration

12. HRod 50

HRod 50

I know I'm going to hear about it, cause I already have, but this is what it is eventually going to look like-ish. But obviouslyt in a 4 door. Also this isn't going to happen for a few years. I'm just trying to get it perfectly soundframe structurally, and add all new Go parts..

Engine on the frame pictures tonight...

Attached Files:

13. You can always get it "two doored" later on if you want.

14. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

I don't typically chime in. It seems like you are posting here and there, but the car is further along than what you are showing. This is an opinion, so be warned. If you haven't completed body work for the interior, I would say clean up the transition between the original Merc dash and the new cluster. You are spending a boat load of money, it would be a shame to have someone walk away with "what an ugly dash" running through their mind. Do you know what the new cluster is out of?

15. HRod 50

HRod 50

What I have now is a the cluster from a 1977 Camaro.. Rick at Extreme Kustoms is going to do something with it. I dont know what, but I'm sure it will be something nice...Do you have any suggestions? I hate what I have......Whoever built this dash, modified it, and put that ugly ass thing in it.. Not really sure what the options are.

16. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

I don't know that I particularly have heartburn with the 77 Camaro. Something else in the late 50's or early 60's may be more traditional, if that's the direction you want to go. At a minimum the the "hump" on the drivers side needs removed and the bottom and right hand side need to flow into the stock dash. Actually on closer inspection, if the column doesn't come up into the recess on the 77 cluster, it's going to look bad, too. I don't plan on changing mine, but I'll give it some thought.

17. slepe67

slepe67

I don't usually chime in either...but PLEASE think the gauges over again. There's nothin worse in an interior (in my eyes) than a GM tilt-steering column and funky gauges. It kinda makes the car look like the builder got in a hurry and SETTLED for cheapo gauges. Do that car justice, and keep it looking classy!!!

18. HRod 50

HRod 50

You know Slepe67, I wasn't going to spend anymore money, but with that comment, and knowing you are right.F&*%!. Gosh dang it!!!!!!!

Rrrrrr

19. HRod 50

HRod 50

The Motor and tranny on the Final Frame paint and mods..

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      71.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      75.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      75.1 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      78.2 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      81.1 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      66.7 KB
      Views:
    • 9.JPG
      9.JPG
      File size:
      69 KB
      Views:
    • 10.JPG
      10.JPG
      File size:
      73.6 KB
      Views:
  20. HRod 50

HRod 50

There's a couple of surprises in this frame, motor, combination.. Hopefully you guys will like it.. Well Folks, thats it for now... Rick, at Extreme Kustoms, is working his ass off, and getting stuff done on my car, so there should be some more update photos soon..
    Tony

21. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

I have 1951 fordoor too...Nice to see this thread!

22. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

23. Good for you. Took what coulda been a nightmare and turning it into your sweet dream. You are not alone. Prostockjohn did the same thing and has a sweet ride almost done. Straykatkustoms started with a merc that mighta been more 240z than merc and has one of the coolest ones going. With Rick piloting the ship, you'll have a great ride, too! Can't wait to see it finished.

24. HRod 50

HRod 50

25. HRod 50

HRod 50

You Guys, cost me a Grand today.. Thanks.............

26. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

It will be worth it in the end

27. I read thru the thread from the beginning... and I happen to be one of those guys who does his own work.

There are things that I have to go back and re-visit to get the way I want, and some things I haven't tackled yet.

But, if you're going out to the shop on a weekly basis, doing 'gofer' errands, and taking care of grunt work tasks like pulling carpets, that's where we all start.

I didn't start out rebuilding engines or welding stuff, and neither did the guys out there who have way, way more skills built up than I do. We all started out doing the shit work, and watching guys who knew how to do things we didn't.

And if you never did anything other than write the checks, and just bought something 'turn-key' that needed no work... don't let anybody bust your balls about being a 'gold chainer'. It's my belief that almost all of those guys who give someone shit on that account are just jealous that they don't have the bankroll to let someone else do some of the hard work.

I know I'm jealous... :D

-Bill

28. HRod 50

HRod 50

Thanks Man!!!!!!

29. jfrolka

jfrolka

are you gonna get the usual open side window treatment that EXK does??