Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 through 1951 Chevrolet Car Restorers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbo17, May 4, 2020.

1. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Does anyone know of any car restoration shops that specialize in building Chevrolet's from this era?

I have been looking for a 1951 Chevrolet Business Coupe for a few years but can not find what I am looking for.
    I do not want anything that has been customized or have a straight front axle or a big block motor.
    I am not into low riders ether.

I want a nice clean looking car with a crate 350 engine but since I cannot seem to find one I thought about having one built.

Thanks for your help.
    Jimbo

2. Aeroman

Aeroman

Where abouts Jimbo? Dumb question but isn't a 350cui in a 51 Chevy customized?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

slim38 and 5window like this.
  3. 5window

5window

Add a 350 and you're talking about upgrades to cooling, braking, possible suspension as it is likely a heavier motor, changing instrumentation to support an alternator, transmission. Does seem a bit customized. And, you probably don't need a specialty shop to build one. Have you looked in Hemming's?

Aeroman likes this.
  4. 5window

5window

5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

What I said about customized referred to the body section of the car only.
    Jimbo

6. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

If you can find one with a 1954 or newer 235 ( fully pressurized oiling system) you can add a 5 speed from an S10, driveshaft and the 4WD S10 rear end and be able to cruise 80mph all day long.
    My father and I did this to his 1949 Chevy Fleetliner torpedo back and loved it.
    Going this route will get you closer to an original bodied one as a lot with the 350/350 combos were customized.

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I bought. Mine from old town auto in Maryland very happy with them.

Attached Files:

8. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Actually the 216 is heavier than a small block chevy. Your other points are valid though.

9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

GMA Bubba:
    Did Old Town Auto build the car for you and did you just purchase the car done?
    I figure this must be someone in the country who builds these cars or at least has in the past.

Jimbo

10. ....I'm reasonably sure that Old Town Automobile didn't build that car. Although there is some mechanical work and maintenance that goes on there, they are for the most part a dealer. One thing I will say about them, unlike your typical consignment dealers, the owner actually purchases the cars he sells so he has a vested interest in the vehicles. Not trying to speak for GMC Bubba, I just didn't know if he saw your post or not.