Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 Studebaker truck with a 289 c.i. Stude motor?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redneck reverend, Jul 10, 2011.

1. redneck reverend

redneck reverend

I'm making a deal to buy a mild custom 49 Studebaker truck this week. The guy who owns it told me that it was used to haul Milk in Bexar county Texas and the old man who owned it got frustrated trying to pull a hill with a full load with the old worn out 6 cyl so he pulled out a pistol and shot through the firewall and killed the motor. Then drove to an auto shop and told the mechanic to "put a motor with some power in this thing". The mechanic knew a guy who had a "Andy Granatelli" edition Studebaker 289 motor and he put it in the truck. It supposedly has a ton of torque and power even after all these years. Anybody know anything about these motors?

2. Ole don

Ole don

The Studebakers that run at Bonneville with the Studebaker engines go as fast as other cars with engines 100 cubic inches bigger and sound better doing it. The Study V 8 greatly resembles the early Caddy OHV engine. One of the best for the time.

3. redneck reverend

redneck reverend

Thanks. Do you happen to know the year or years the Andy Granatelli motor was produced? What models the were available for?

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I'm certainly no Stude expert but I have learned a lot about them. Look up the Studebaker drivers club on the net. They are the experts. I learned a lot just by reading there. The Stude engine does have some strange quirks if you are used to Fords and Chevys. This site can answer all those questions. Mine is a 259 58 engine. Mine makes good low end torque and does not rev real high like a SBC.

I've never heard of a "Granatelli edition" engine but that doesn't mean much. My thinking is that if there was a special 289 Granatelli engine it would be highly prized and sought after. The most sought after Stude engines are the special supercharged Avanti engines. If you have one of those the guys on the Stude forum can tell you what you have by the code stamped in the valley cover rail in the front of the engine.

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Granatelli Started Grancor and later bought paxton, turned it around and sold it to studebaker. He then stayed on to run it for a couple years. Maybe this is one of those blown motors?

6. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I think you want to look the specs for the R1 (non supercharged) and R2 (supercharged) engines. When the Avanti introduced the R2 powered version, I believe it was the fastest production car available and set some records at Bonneville.

Andy Granetelli of STP fame was also involved with the NOVI cars that were entered at Indy for a number of years. These were based on Studebaker components.

the studebaker V8 was introduced as a 221 cu inch version then bored to 259, then stroked to 289. They feature forged steel Cranks, timing gears rather that a chain, and other ehnanced engineering features. The are also HD versions that were developed for Heavy trucks, with sodium filled valves, and other goodies.

I have a 63 259 canadian version in my 56 e series pickup. With a 4bbl the 259 is rated at 195 HP and 240 lbft torque

The r1 289 made 240 HP/305lbft r2 made 289hp/305

there was an r4 version for one year that pulled 335 /305

and a dual 4bbl r3 that did 280 hp and 335lbft.

So yes they can and did make power and torque HP rated rpm was 4500 so looks like they reved also.

7. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

those Stude motors are small, underpowered and not worth messing with....:D:rolleyes:

8. redneck reverend

redneck reverend

Cool. Thanks for the help. Tommy, I have looked up the references and have been reading. My first attempts at Google searches didn't yield much so thanks again people.

9. what plym46 said - pretty much sums it up....the truck most likely will have the base R1 motor which should start with JTxxx.... the supercharged engines will have JTSxxx....a 289 will have a Pxxx you can see the numbers on the block right behind the water pump on the pad on the drivers side....here's mine....and those 1963-64 records were finally beat I believe in the 1990's by the Chevy Camero.... -

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

10. "most likely"....refers to a factory hot (AG?) Stude motor being installed....

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yeah, if the guy knows what he's talking about, that would be the strongest generation of the Stude V-8, I think '63 and '64 (though I do believe Andy kept working with them for a while after Stude had to go to Canada and switch to Chevy engines. Also, for those two years, I think they were able to bore it or stroke it a bit more to get 302 or 303 CID out of it. Plus, there was an R3, as well. But I don't know what the diff between the 2 and 3 version would be (could the R-3 be what the guy is calling the Andy Granatelli version?).

Any numbers? There are surely HAMBers who could tell you for sure.

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Oh, and the 289 and 302 must have been versatile and reliable (my 289 was), or Studebaker would have -- and culd have -- adopted and CONTINUED the big-block Packard V-8s as Stude engines. They did not do that, and I read a lot into it.

Do you have a photo of the engine? The valve covers are fairly easy to recognize.

13. rixrex

rixrex

there really wasn't an 'andy granatelli' edition engine. I mean he did take an Avanti to Bonneville and put his magic touch on the 289, tuning, etc. He went 196 by the way. Having one of those engines he built for Bonneville would be an incredible stroke of luck....

14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

15. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

I have a 1957 Studebaker 289 that was all original 24,000 mile, never been taken apart when I used it at Bonneville last year. We installed it in this:
    [​IMG]
    We ran 159 mph pushing a 5000lb car. Not fast enough for you? Try Dave Bloombergs 289. bored out to 299 cid. It's in this Avanti:
    [​IMG]
    They ran 215 mph last year with no water in the engine due to a failed hose. It only hurt four valve seats. Now that's a tuff engine.
    So yes the 289 Studebaker with a 3 5/8" stroke makes lot's of torque and will pull the truck along real nice. I am currently installing a 289 in my camper in preparation for towing the Avanti to Bonneville next month. Camper, Avanti, two axle trailer and all the gear. No problem. And better gas mielage than the Ford 390 that was in there when I got it.
    [​IMG]
    So buy it and enjoy it. Granatelli is a consultant and friend so whatever you need to know about his engines just ask.
    Dan

16. redneck reverend

redneck reverend

Wow! Thanks for the great info and responses and pictures and videos! Awesome stuff. I plan on taking some motor pics tomorrow. I'll post them ASAP.

17. hey...BVille Dan....put the optional - 5 speed OD that Stude offered (hinthint) in that thing behind that V8.....like my 1956 does....sure humms along....