Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Shoebox Ranchero Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jakesbackyard, Nov 28, 2018.

?

Hinge covers??

Poll closed Sep 29, 2021.
  1. Left

35 vote(s)
    89.7%
  2. Right

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Very cool. I like where this is going!!!

jakesbackyard and loudbang like this.
  2. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Thanks all!

The tailgate may get a license mount sunk into it with a reveal on top similar to the original. The hinges are a work in progress. I thought of original trunk hinges off a 50, but the lower pivot would cause it to hit the bumper. I spent two days building hidden hinges and that didn’t work. The crowned bottom edge causes problems for any wagon type hinge. I thought of straightening out the lower panel, but like this shape better. My hope is that the current hinges won’t stand out so much with the stone deflector and bumper mounted. Time will tell...it’s a work in progress.

3. hoop

hoop

Awesome job . I love it!

4. That is a very cool project, for the tailgate, did you take a look at the Ranger bed and surround for that tailgate and make skinning the metal over it? The rangers have a simple pivot on the lower corners and then some cables to secure and stop the tailgate.
    But great so far!

5. Ditto! This thing is already looking killer! Mad skills, brother. :D
    Mike

6. Squablow

Squablow

I like it, having the flat top bed rails on there sets it apart from similar car into truck builds I've seen.

7. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Have you thought about using the bed floor in your ranchero .When I replaced the bed floor in my 51 F1 I just bought a new floor for a late model Ford pickup and used that.

8. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Yes that’s one of the thoughts.

loudbang likes this.
  9. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Liking what you're doing on this. Subscribed and watching.

Dawson85, jakesbackyard and loudbang like this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

I really like how you did the top. A lot of the ‘50s cars had a lot of crown that gave them the “covered wagon” look. You nailed it. I’m looking forward to seeing the final bed and tailgate treatments. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Nice, well thought out work!

12. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

I really like the design decisions you've made. It looks fantastic!

13. 41 C28

41 C28

Looking good. I have a rough 59 Skyliner that I thought would make a cool pick up.

14. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Back at it today...drew pattern on car, used clear 4 mil vinyl to trace a pattern, cut out a piece, and screwed and hammer formed the metal. Should work...now to make a matching right side.

A7A90D3C-7A60-4C15-A2FB-1681F7A3FA18.jpeg E94B3326-8715-4846-98D2-5DF825060D7D.jpeg D8B3B03B-EBD6-412D-99A9-83412D055F95.jpeg C1DBF99B-7819-48DA-AC99-8A67011B92FC.jpeg E0B8F044-EBD4-4BFE-BA67-5A07B0935052.jpeg

15. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic work, Jake! The proportions on the roof are spot on and all the work is clean and well thought out! You must have built a few cars ;)

16. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Thanks Joel...a couple. Wink.

loudbang likes this.
  17. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

This is it for a while...now just a whole lot of welding.

40BCA51A-7C1F-4D0F-AB34-462F3924E185.jpeg 7E78A67E-2FF4-48E6-91D8-A75AD291AEF9.jpeg ADA623DA-EE3E-4537-823A-C7DC95AB3200.jpeg

Randall, j-jock, Hnstray and 20 others like this.
  18. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Everything looks super good, I just wish you could fins a more automotive hint for your tail gate, maybe ones off a sration wagon of the same era. Just food for thought. Frank

loudbang and RMONTY like this.
  19. RMONTY

RMONTY

Or hide them like the tailgates on a lot of modern pickups, on the sides of the tailgate. My truck tailgate has a circular hinge on one side and a semicircular hinge with an open pocket on the other. I'm sure you are familiar with the setup.

loudbang and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  20. ,...I like the way this is turning out,..don't mind the tailgate hinges at all, it gives it a utility look to it, after all it is a truck now, they'll disappear some with paint and rear bumper, etc.

Texas57, low budget, Phillips and 3 others like this.
  21. Biggest reason he can't go standard pick-up hinge is the Arch or Bow across the face side to side plus the fact the stock weather strip channel is still on the Body. If the channel was removed so the bottom edge could swing inboard then standard late gate hinge units could work. If he were to decide to install a slight raised floor in the Bed space he could mount hinges inside and raised then the lower edge of the gate would swing inboard as it opens and could be made to stop without any cables or check straps at all. Just my personal observation.
    The Wizzard

Hnstray, loudbang and jakesbackyard like this.
  22. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I really like the way this is going, usually these trucks end up looking like butchered flower cars.
    Are you going to replace the bed flooring with the ranger bed flooring?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  23. scotts52

scotts52

Just trying to see the finished product. Wouldn't the bed floor be raised a little bit? Wondering if you were to cut the bottom off the tailgate and use it for a filler strip and that would raise the pivot point for the hinges and hence they would now clear your bumper?

Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.
  24. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a friend in high school that had one of these. I liked it, but the bed always looked awkward. I think you've solved that problem. "The devil is in the details".

Black Fifty and loudbang like this.
  25. Nomads had the vertical trim pieces on the tailgate. That may look good. I had a 90s Jeep Cherokee that had stainless strips in the cargo area that may would work

loudbang likes this.
  26. Yike's!! I sure wouldn't cut anything off the back panel. It looks just fine the size it is. I would suspect there will be a floor added to cover the rise over the rear axle and to end up a flat surface front to back. The mount spot for the hinges does not need to be on the bottom edge. If the floor is raised say, 6" then mount the hinges 6" above the bottom edge. That will make a Flap if you will that will tuck inside and under the raised floor. It will just require removing the weather strip channel in that 6" space.
    The Wizzard

Hnstray, brEad, ffr1222k and 2 others like this.
  27. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Thanks for all the comments, kudos, and ideas. There’s still much to do before I finish the tailgate. I’ll now concentrate on welding every thing but the tailgate together. Lots of time to think about that tailgate. I do a lot of my thinking and planning while working on other areas. That and sitting in a chair with a cold one and a cigar. Till next time...I’m in the backyard.

Jigger, Outback, brEad and 8 others like this.
  28. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I'm not a Chop or Shoebox guy. Had to subscribe cause I really enjoy your skill and hope to learn.

29. BJR

BJR

This is turning out sooooo cool. If you get a chance I would love to see a straight on side shot. You have great vision and the skills to back it up.

jakesbackyard and Black Fifty like this.
  30. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Very nice! as a teen in the '50s this was a popular deal but most back then had crude rear cab panels. You have a nice smooth transition that looks like it should be there. Eager to see the finished project.

Jigger, jakesbackyard and Black Fifty like this.