Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 - any info?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick_R_23, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

Im planning on looking at this car sometime this week. I have no real info on it other then what was in the ad. Its referred to as a 49 Rocket 88, its all original, body is in great shape, and all the chrome is there. I tried finding some info on this but it seems the name is more directed to the engine then the actual car itself.

I figure if its not too bad of shape, and looks like it would run fairly easily, Ill try and pick it up and fix all the little shit and make it a driver for next summer, and probably sell my winter truck.

Sorry about the small pics but this is all I have!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me anything about it? What engine and drivetrain would it have had? Are parts easy enough to come by? Any common swaps/upgrades/stuff that changes over?

2. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

looks like an awesome car! I'd grab it in a heartbeat

3. ems customer service

ems customer service

we got floors , rockers and other sheet metal for it call bob 216-541-4585

4. Fogger

Fogger

Olds 88s are great old cars. If it's stock it would have a 303 cu in V8 and a Hydromatic trans. The '49 and '50 Fastbacks, coupes, sedans, and converts are very desirable. If the sheet metal is as good as you say don't hesitate to buy it.

5. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

First things first, That sled would look great in my garage. Secondly, why are you still reading my rotten opinion, go buy that rocket before I figure out where it's at. :cool:

6. BuzzardKustoms

BuzzardKustoms

I just picked up 49 4 door yesterday! I'm falling more in love with it every moment. BUY THE CAR!!!!!

7. cruzr

cruzr

there were some 49's that had a 6 cylinder, used to have one long ago

8. BuzzardKustoms

BuzzardKustoms

Oh Yeah, there's alot of info on the car at howstuffworks.com I'm doing some research, myself. This is the closest I've been to one. BTW... Buy the car.

9. the three kings

the three kings
    from Texas

You can get parts from USA Parts or Kanter. Lot's of speed parts out ther i have had a couple.

10. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

Cool, thanks for all the info so far guys! :cool: Hopefully I can find an excuse to take an extra long lunch break tomorrow so I can run into town to check her out. Ill bring the camera and let you know what I find!

11. sololobo

sololobo

This is only one of the worlds coolest and most desired rides. ~Sololobo~

12. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Beat me to this info---one of the koolest cars ever built was the 50 Olds cpe, IMO.

13. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

14. James Curl

James Curl

The 6 cylinder flat head cars were called Olds 78s I think or 76, small body was the 78 with a six cylinder or & 88 with the V8 and large body V8 was the 98. The 88 shared the body dies with Pontiac and Chevrolet and the 98 used the same body dies as the Buick and Cadillac. I had a fastback in 57 that I would trade everything I have with wheels to have it again. Hard to believe that I traded it for a clean 55 Chevy which was not half the car the Olds 88 was.

15. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

The very first Hot Rod I ever rode in was my best friend's big brother's '49 Olds 88. Had frenched '50 Ford tailights, hood louvers, nosed and decked, rounded hood corners and rolled pans and a '57 Olds 371 J2 tri-power and what was purported to be a B&M "Hydro-Stick! It would FLY regardless of what it was, and was the area Bad Ass for a time! What memories of that car!! Wish I had a picture!

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I had 3 of those things when I was in High School. Actually a '49 88 coup, then I got a '49 76 coup that was virgin and bought a near perfect 50 door and put the V8 in the 76. Junked the 4 door.They didn't cost anything in '60. 303 inch V8 and a 4 speed hydromatic. I had one engine bored .187 to 3 15/16. Made it a 336 inch motor. I put in one of those dual voltage batteries so it would start on 12 volts and run on 6. 6 volt starter was very iffy when it was hot. Used a 4 bbl manifold from a '56 Olds. 4 jet carburetor from a Cadillac.

17. mr50s

mr50s

Hey Nick R 23,

You've already got a great eye for spotting desirable classic rides. To see what rebuilding brakes and suspension will cost, check out Kanter Auto Products in New Jersey at "kanter.com". To see what repro. "Olds only" type parts will cost, check out "Fusick Automotive Products" in Connecticut at "fusick.com". Both have catalogs you can order and/or view on the web. Good luck on obtaining your newest ride!!

mr50s

18. Fogger

Fogger

As stated he's asking about a 88 not a 76/78.

19. tommy v

tommy v

better buy it quick,just saw it on craigslist

20. parklane

parklane

Ya, beautiful car. As already mentioned, it came with a 303 cuin and 4 speed hydro. Most stuff from 303, 324, 371 was interchangeable. Did I mention that its a beauty??

21. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

Sorry guys, looks like I wont be picking this one up, its a little too rich for my blood. The guy was asking 5000$! It is in good shape overall, floor did have some rust and a hole in one spot, but it was much cleaner then most of the projects that are around. Didnt get the hood open so I dont know the condition of the engine. They didnt even know if it was seized or not. Too bad, it wouldve been a cool project! :cool:

22. mr50s

mr50s

Hey Nick R 23,

When bidders find out what it costs to truck this car down to the lower 48 states, that could leave you in position as a "local" to drive a harder bargain and come out successfully. My advice is check back with the seller often and don't give up yet. You could come out the winner yet!!

mr50s