Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1949 Mercury, I hate flatheads.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roddin-shack, Jun 7, 2011.

1. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

After many years of bugging the owner to sell, I got my dream car a mint rust free 49 Mercury Coupe. The car had a older rebuilt flattie that had been sitting and running periodically for a number of years. It also has has an overdrive trans. ( not Working) and a ridiculous high gear in the rear end. Every time out with it it broke down.

Finally after replacing the thermostats, fan belts, rad hoses and both waterpumps with Skip Haney rebuilds. I converted the dist. to pertronix , The engine was running perfectly except for the white smoke out of the right tail pipe. I pulled the head and found a hairline crack between the exhaust valve seat and a cylinder but not into the cylinder .

I have decided I cannot live with a flathead and want to know if this engine is worth anything in this condition. I dont want to see someone get burned by buying it, or should I just part it out along with the transmission it also has new Reds headers.

What would be the easiest overhead V-8 conversion with minimal alterations? All advice appreciated.

2. Copy Cop

Copy Cop

i would at the verry least part out the flathead and anything dealing with the flattie in decent shape.

3. Diavolo

Diavolo

Shame to hear about the block, you'd probably still be able to sell it for a good chunk of change.

As for the swap, small block Ford, 302 variety. Stick an AOD behind it and you won't have to change the rear diff until later.

4. Flatman

Flatman

Where in Canada are you?

Flatman

5. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

In Gods country north of Toronto and just west of Barrie.

6. yeah, I would think you could sell the flattie/trans combo for decent $$, a 302 or even a 351 with a c4 or aod should be a fairly easy swap if you don't mind a little work

7. scrubba

scrubba

Hummmmmmm, welcome to Flathead Hell. I have delt with every one of these problems over the years . Shoot , sell it as theres always someone who will buy it and do a complete overhaul on the assembly. Theres an endless supply of vendors who can sell you a more compateable , ( at least to you, replacement late engine ). scrubba

8. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Sorry to hear bout the flattie. I have a running flathead that came out of my 50 Merc. Trying to get $1200 with cast iron Fenton headers.

ChopnWeld (Nick) has a fresh 5.8L SBF he is trying to sell out of his 51 Merc.

I would not use an AOD trans behind a SBF. Use a 700R4 trans. More options and cheaper build using a 700R4. My 51 Merc is using a SBF and AOD, expensive combo, but don't like seeing a SBC in a Merc.

9. Ole don

Ole don

I had a crack like that, it was repaired for less than a hundred bucks. You are so close to done, why give up now? Not everyone is smart enough to own a flathead.

10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You should be able to sell the flathead. It's a pretty desirable engine with the 4" crank. Cracks are not a problem anymore. They can be fixed pretty easily.
    If it were me I'd get the O.D. working and bolt an early '50s Cad. or Olds. to it. But that's just me and this is the hamb. There is a Merc. custom running around these parts with a Chrysler Hemi. bolted to a 39 floor shift.

11. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I guess I am not smart enough, I talked my self into the Flattie in the first place. THen all this shit happens and I am not about to jump in again with a repaired block. I am now looking for a overhead with a 700 R Tranny. If I could afford it I would fill the flattie up with cement and use it as a boat anchor.:eek:

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I have a '51 Ford with a 350 SBC and 700R4, and a '56 with a 351W Ford and 4R70W. I did the latter with a "Ford-in-a-Ford" mindset, but truthfully I like the GM setup better. Parts options and availability for the Chevy are way better, and I like the 700R4 better than the Ford OD. The price of admission is certainly lower, too.

You get more "thumbs up" with the Ford and frowns with the Chevy, but I haven't found anybody willing to share the extra expense to do the Ford swap.

BTW your "ridiculous high gear" doesn't make a lot of sense for an OD car -- unless you mean numerically high, like a 4.11 or something. If that is what you meant, it would work well with a 700R4.

13. bryan6902

bryan6902

Sounds like you now have a fairly good idea why it sat so long..... I'm kind of with these guys, pull it and fix it. Sounds like you already have some $$$$$ into it. I bet you would spend more money putting a different engine in than it would cost to revive the one you have. Just thinking out loud....

14. 2-TONED

2-TONED

oh i love hearing that!!
    im with you man. i let a good one freeze here cause i wasnt going to waste $7.00 on anti freeze. well not really, someone (not me) drained the water before winter.
    i like to DRIVE! not hang around under the hood with screwdrivers & wrenches along side a busy road. PISS on that flathead go a little more modern!!

15. The Mercs had a numerically high ratio, which is to say it was a stump puller ratio, down in the 4's. Same rear end that was used under F-1 Ford pickups. You don't need to be geared that low with an AOD or 700R4. Find a '57 to '72 F100 rear out of one that had an automatic trans and measure it to see how close it is to the Merc rear. I'm betting it'll be very close.

16. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

Every engine can have problems. The flathead basic design is solid and reliable, maybe not as efficent as modern engines though. Get the supplemental items (ign. carb..etc) modernized and you should be just as good as a "modern" engine.

17. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I wouldn't have had the gumption to start a thread dumping on flatheads , but I agree. I really like the SBC / TH700R4 combination in my coupe. I run 3:55 gears in a 8-inch Ford rear. Turn the key and go. Good luck.

18. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Yes you are right a slip of the tongue, I believe it has something like a 4:23 gear for the OD trans. The car gets plenty of THUMBS UP without opening the hood which I do not do any way. Thanks for the info. Larry

19. +1.

20. flat heads forever!

21. Biff Tanan

Biff Tanan

The 302 or 351w are the same block, as for the aod I have been told (by everyone that has had one) they hate that trans. My opinion is c4 with a 300 gear.

22. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

I can certainly see why you hate flatheads: it runs perfectly, you say, at highway speeds, even with a 4:23 rear end and OD non-functioning, and with a water leak.

Who wouldn't be pissed about an engine like that?

23. fewjeeps

fewjeeps
    from Omaha

This post answered alot of things i was questioning myself! No regrets selling my flatty.

24. rw4951

rw4951

1949-50 Mercs w/OD will almost always have a 4.27 rear end...

25. StrickV8

StrickV8

be a lover, not a hater.......

26. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The OD and 4.27 are a system,, each no good without the other...
    My take: Engine is fixable and worth something (hey, drop it off here!) but it doesn't belong here.
    This is a 255! How much does that barge weigh?? A car this big needs some displacement. A flathead needs a light home. A full sized car with 255 cubes is going to have to work hard just to be slow.

27. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I just love the Mercs with a good running 255 and stick/OD that works. They are fun to drive and are competitive on the highway if well-tuned.

I doubt I would buy a Merc unless it was flatty powered.

If you think there is ever the chance of selling the car, please reconsider and get the flatty fixed and running good. You car will be worth more that way. IMHO

28. How about some photos or links to photos of the car?

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

30. Fenders

Fenders

Back around 1980 I put a 350 chev with an automatic in a 1951 Mercury...
    I made a front mount for the engine and dropped it on the original front motor frame mounts. I drilled one hole in the crossmenber for the transmission mount. Was hardly any work at all....

BTW it had a Mercomatic, I left the original column shift, just had to make a link down below to the trans.... inside it looked stock.

As for those who don't like a SBC in a Merc, just keep your hood closed.