Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 Hudson transplant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrSpade13, Oct 9, 2011.

1. MrSpade13

MrSpade13

Well i'm finally getting around to the old girl. Picked up a cadillac 472 with a th400 trans for a wopping 400 bucks. Now to get this 305 out of her and start transplanting this monster. Motor ran and only had 60k miles on it. I'm wondering how many have done this transplant and if the stock exhaust manifolds will work?

Attached Files:

2. metalix_421

metalix_421

Not building a hudson but Im in the process putting a '70 472 into my 56 olds. there is a lot of hacking into my x member for the oil pump and fuel pump to fit. caddy500.com has alot of parts avalible along with building oil pans to your specs if you are needing one and not building it yourself.
    what year is your 472?
    hope you got a 68-69, they are 10.5 to 1 compression or the 70 was 10 to 1
    the 71+ were 8.5 to 1

3. MrSpade13

MrSpade13

its actually a 71 472. had a hard time getting my hands on one as it was but this oen was too good to pass up.

4. metalix_421

metalix_421

I agree you made the right chose, what is it out of, is it an eldo or deville?

5. MrSpade13

MrSpade13

Deville rear will drive mated to the th400 with the switch pitch

6. metalix_421

metalix_421

first thing you will prob. need is a rear sump pan and pickup tube so you can clear your cross member

7. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i was thinking of doing a eldo fwd swap at one time that way i could have a total flat step down floor,
    post some more pictures---PLEASE.nice car by the way.
    i think there's another guy around here doing the same swap...

8. MrSpade13

MrSpade13

Yeah ive seen 1 or 2 i was hoping maybe one of em would chime in

9. MrSpade13

MrSpade13

btw was going thru your pics, you got a beauty there. FWD would be interesting in on of these. Mine's got a lot that needs to be finished but im happy with her.

10. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

hell. between my heath,work & lack of money or work space i haven't had a chance to do anything,i would bring it home but the damn city would give me a $125.oo ticket for having a junk car,right now i'm just rounding up parts.----chuck

here a link to my first thread about it..
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=599950

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  11. MrSpade13

MrSpade13

thats crazy. right now i have betsy sittin on the street with the motor inside her. But most of my neighbors either work for or own auto resto shops.
    Pretty awesome neighborhood.

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Neat piece, did you buy it at the Chicasha OK Swap Meet a few years ago? A guy had a red 4door Hudson there with a quick and dirty 305 junkyard motor and trans transplant for cheap running and driving. I almost got weak.

13. MrSpade13

MrSpade13

was hoping some of the hudson fellas would chime in....

14. Ramblur

Ramblur

Can't help you much with the transplant,my 49 Hudson has a 308 Hornet motor BUT my 65 Impala wagon has a 500" Cadillac so heres my take. It has been done because I've seen some for sale in yrs.past. Definitely going to need an Eldo rear sump pan OR just cut the sump off your pan and weld a cheap swap meet Chevy pan sump onto your rails. Stepdown has center pivot steering and that drag link which will have to be considered. Because the transmission cover unbolts and opens up half the firewall and a lot of floor it shouldn't be hard to mock it up in there. The frame crossmember at the firewall is an integral part of the chassis and will likely have to be modified.
    You could probably make it a drop out,just remember it is structural. I'm guessing the Cad has a long tailshaft t400 trans but I don't know were it will end up. The Hudson used a two-piece driveshaft and theres not a lot of tunnel there either so keep in mind driveshaft clearance through the rear suspension travel. You will find lots more info on specifics searching these
    forums: http://www.cadillacpower.com/forum/ and http://www.classiccar.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=showcat&catid=13&Itemid=152
    The Cad motor with an aluminum intake may actually be lighter than the big Hudson six(or L-8). Best of luck and keep us updated.

15. MrSpade13

MrSpade13

hey thanks for the links. Pretty awesome guys over there

16. MrSpade13

MrSpade13

Finally got an update, Got the motor installed thanks to a members motor mounts. Fabbed up a transmission mount and got her showhorned in. Ended up doing a complete rebuild on the motor just to be on the safe side. Got it,the trans and driveline installed and finally got to fire her up. DAMN this thing is loud with lakers......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DeyXu4PbTKM

17. Normbc9

Normbc9

Nice find! I still like those lines. The cops in our city still had them in service in 1957. While they weren't the fastest car in the world they sure were the best cornering. The flat head 308 six with the Twin H package sure did get up a go with the best of them on the Oval dirt tracks. Good luck on your project.
    Normbc9

Attached Files: