Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Fordoor bearclaw questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by askforjonny, Jul 20, 2018.

1. I have been searching for some answers and thought this should be the place to get some answers.

1. Do the bear claw latches for the 1949 Ford custom require modification to the actual latch to work in a stock non-electric application?

2. What exterior door handles do you have to use if the originals do not work with this updated latch assembly?

My 49' is gone stock except for the 6v fuel pump my grandfather put on it years ago.

3. What options if any, do I have to keep the latch handles stock?

The doors do not shut easily, and I have 4 of them.....

Thanks for taking a look. All the input I can get would be greatly appreciated.
    This is my first shoebox ford. As well as my first flathead rebuild project.

2. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

I'm going to ask the obvious question.

Have you tried adjusting the strikers and latches on your existing doors?

I had a bit of an issue with my '51's passenger door and cured it by adjusting the "star" on the door and the catch on the doorjamb.

Loosten up (don't remove) the big screws and move the parts in or out a little as needed and try opening and closing the doors.

It might just cure your ills without having to change everything to bear claws.

askforjonny likes this.
  3. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Here's the instructions from the book, if you don't have a copy. 20180720_085545.jpeg 20180720_085604.jpeg 20180720_085611.jpeg 20180720_085627.jpeg 20180720_085842.jpeg

Sent from my LG-H932 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RMR&C and askforjonny like this.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The 1949 Ford car door latches were nortorious for being a really crappy design and were among the “50 changes for 1950” that Ford promoted for the ‘50 models. I tell you this not just from hearsay, but some actual experience with both ‘49 and the improved ‘50/‘51 latches.

As for using the existing ‘49 handles to operate bear claw latches, it is likely doable with some modifications of the handle, latch or linkage. I have not done that mod on the Ford cars, but have done a similar mod on my ‘54 GMC (same as Chevy) pickup. You just have to open up the door (remove door trim panel) and look inside, maybe remove the handle and latch, and see what you have to work with.

Ray

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    askforjonny likes this.
  5. Low buck method would be to use 80s-90s Chevy G-van door guts and posts in there. The door latch unit unbolts from the door, is narrow, is activated with a push button, and you could rob the solenoids for power locks if you wanted, too. Maybe you need to add a tab to the end of it to get a striker for the button in the right spot, not a big deal. The inside door handles on these also unbolt and are small, they just pull an activating rod, you may be able to bend your own new rod to work with stock door handles.

askforjonny, Hnstray and morac41 like this.
  6. So i took the old one upfront out and replaced them with O.G. replacements. Now the back driver side door des not close at all... Hahahah I seem to be making circles around the car.

I pulled the motor and trans and I have been slowly rebuilding it, by the time I get done nothing else will be operational on the car! :)