Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 Ford F-68 (F-3) Cummins 6Bt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49f686bt, Oct 18, 2011.

1. 49f686bt

49f686bt
    from Manitoba

Haha ya I saw your build earlier on in the year, very nice and detailed build! And kudos on the 10 speed. Could be an upgrade in the future if I find one. Curious tho, does that bolt up to the 6bt or does it need a different adapter plate at the back of the engine? I keep tabs on your build too, looking forward to seeing a video of the first drive!

2. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

My math gives 31.73", but different manufacturers and wear change that.

3. charger

charger
    from manitoba

Nice build! where abouts in Manitoba are you from??

4. rrustyrelic

rrustyrelic

Bump, Any updates?

5. 49f686bt

49f686bt
    from Manitoba

Hey. yeah lots and lots of updates. Didn't really post alot on here when I was working on it. I did get it running, driving, went through a safety and failed by only a few small things. However soon after that (which was the end of July) in September, I bought my own property, not far from the shop I was working out of but the place needed alot of renovations in order to actually move in. So there went my winter, and some of the spring. Moved in beginning of March, then had to rush to catch up with farm maintainace before we got into our season. This is the first week where I can do a bit of nothing. So theres the explanation. So, the truck. Got a driveshaft made for it, nice and smooth to drive as far as driveline goes. Gears are far too low in the back. Did get a set of 3.73's out of the front end of a Dana 60, but I haven't taken it apart yet, nor do I know if it will work in the rear application Dana 60, haven't checked at all. Truck is very stiff to drive, thought about loosing some leafs or running some bags or even being open to suggestions to smooth out the ride. Cooling is fantastic. The original radiator was modified by removing one of the bottom outlets and building a manifold to put two into one for the hot into the rad at the top. I put a push fan between the air to air rad and the coolant rad but I honestly have not needed it, and it was pretty small so I don't know how much it will actually do (Upgrade needed there.) I was running around at the local agriculture mueseam last July all day, and it never got above 100 Celsius. I wasn't working it just puttering around so the real test will be once some sort of load will get on. But this is mainly a toy, not too much of a work truck anyways. Air-tp-Air is out of a Gm/Volvo hybrid apparently, a friend gave it to me, it was out of a 3 ton? Anyways it was able to be split in half and turn the output from the rad about 45 degrees and it fit right in front of the coolant rad. Last two things for a safety is get the front brakes working (s10 vacuum assist and brake master mounted underneath on the frame, no proportioning valves just straight hook up front and rear separately.) The back work good but I had no flow to the front. Pedal got hard but nothing happening. Drove it after and suddenly the pedal freed up. I haven't gotten in there and checked it out yet. Master and slave cyls are all new. Most of the lines are new except for probably 3 feet of original. And the steering. If you are driving along no matter what speed, and you let go of the steering wheel, it will send you to the ditch. Rear end is Lincoln locked, and my toe could be off some. both I am thinking are factors but I'm not too sure yet. I did try changing my toe in from positive to negative to equal and it made no difference, checked the gearbox for slack and it's tight so I haven't come up with anything conclusive on that yet. Hope to work on it soon, If there is still interest I will find some more current pictures to put up.