Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Chevy Pickup Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ChevTruck, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Well my ole girl arrived today it's been 4 months of waiting to actually see it in the flesh. I'd only seen photo's before I jumped in and bought it from Minnesota!

I've stripped all the bed strips and old rotten wood out already, the plan for tomorrow is get the bed sides and fenders off.

Chassis looks pretty good from what I can see so far.

Seb

Attached Files:

2. It's just like gettin' a new girlfriend. Can't spend enough time with her at first. Hope your new love is a lasting one. Get busy and keep us posted.

3. Got all the bed stripped down today, one of the stake posts is pretty bad think it's beyond my fabrication skills with what tools i've got.

Started on the front fenders then rain stopped play, went under cover and started cleaning up the bed sides.

Also what would be the best way to approach the dent in the rolled lip on the bed side?

Attached Files:

4. JD Miller

JD Miller

Is that a fresh burrito wapped in foil on the front seat?

I just saw a 49 chevy in a boat yard on a trailer. Been thinin on goin back and askin if they want to sell. Got a feeling they probably want too much $$$. Dont know till I ask

5. No it's a piece of chrome I have no idea where it's for yet, not even un wrapped it!

6. Looks like this is going to be great build, looking forward to follow this one!
    Klaus

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That one looks pretty solid from what I can see.

On that bed rail end I think I'd take a piece of pipe or round bar that would slip in the space you have now and use it to push out on the dent. then when it moved enough use a larger diameter piece to move it and shape it. Mine wasn't that bad but I think that is what I did to get it back round.

Stake posts are available through the aftermarket.

8. I've tried searching for the stake posts couldn't find them sold on their own, found bed sides no problem.

Attached Files:

9. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Chevy of the 40s has those stake pockets, those AD trucks are super fun.

10. orula

orula

Hi 49Chev, I'm glad you started your project.
    If I could go back to clean my frame would choose a nice blast,
    I do not know how to say in English, but I would clean the sand.

I put a lot of time and effort to clean by hand but is back again too :).

If I can be of help do not hesitate to ask questions. Continue the good work.

Frank

11. D-man313

D-man313

12. warrenf

warrenf

Hi, fellow AD truck owner. Your truck seems pretty solid. I bet you she could tell a few stories if she could talk. Are you planning to keep the leaf spring suspension, front and rear, or changing at least the front to IFS?

13. It's fairly solid up front but the back is all pretty much shot, bed sides, front bed panel, tailgate (missing) and the rear fenders are pretty bad too. I'm going to keep with the leaf spring suspension back and front, dropped beam too.

14. Hi Guys

Been very busy with work lately so not had chance to get on here....
    Going to get the chassis stripped right down this weekend and next week take it up to be blasted, what would you guys think to taking all the old rivets out so i've got the chassis in pieces? then get it blasted and then bolt it all back up?

Seb

15. pvienneau

pvienneau

Go with all stainless nuts and bolts

16. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

Looks like you have a 54 235 motor. Post the stamped serial number behind the distributor and we can help you I.D. it.
    For more help with your truck visit http://stovebolt.com.
    Good luck.

17. Hmm I thought it was a 216 i'll go down the garden and get the serial number tomorrow

18. Its looking good, If you look at the valve covers are the bolts throught the ceter of the covers or around the outside?

19. I guess I should look at pictures better, They are around the outside. I believe that means it is a full pressure motor and not a slinger. awesome!

20. I was just about to post another picture! Yes bolts are round the outside, so it's a 235 then?

I suppose thats a bit of a bonus, i'm not even going to use this engine it's actually up for sale but advertised as a 216!

21. Big Nick

Big Nick

You can get just about ever part you need, panel, stakes, bed parts etc from LMC or Classic Chevys

22. That's the plan Big Nick, making a list as we speak. Just want to get all my funds together so I can order everything in one hit. Hopefully it will save me on the shipping if I order it all together.

The list is getting bigger and bigger!

23. Big Nick

Big Nick

Juggle back and forth between the two, sometimes you can save on certian parts and for instance, Classic Chevys had a matching key set where LMC didnt

24. hershambob

hershambob

nice truck,sent pm

25. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

a long piece of pipe from the other end, then make a dolly form for finished size and heat & hammer until done.

26. Had a day off today due to snow so managed to get a full day in the garage stripping the chassis down into sections, taking all the rivets out and getting rid of bits no longer needed. Got it all done so it's ready to take up to the blasters.....

Flap discs, big hammer and a sharpe chisel....job done!

I was talking to a friend the other day and he mentioned boxing the chassis....is there really any need? It's not like i'm going to be drag racing this thing it's going to have a fairly built 383 but even so....

As i'm going to be lowering it using a dropped axle, will the original tube shock position be ok?

Seb