Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1949 Chevy Brake Upgrades

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R and S HotRods, Oct 3, 2010.

1. R and S HotRods

R and S HotRods
    from Hell

Ok, I have found several threads on brake upgrades on here. I know I can convert to disk, but I like the drum brakes on mine. Makes it feel like an old car. Didn't build this car for just anyone to drive (mainly my Wife). I have a front brake set up from a 55 Chevy post car. I have laying around. My question is: Will it work on my 49 Styleline Deluxe?
    Thanks,
    Gadget

2. The easiest conversion is find a set of 51-54 fromt brakes. It is a super simple bolt on deal. You need the backing plates AND the spaces behind them along with the drums and other parts. It will give you self energizing Bendix style brakes. Hope this helps. Todd

3. R and S HotRods

R and S HotRods
    from Hell

I know the 51-54 brakes will fit, but will the 55 set up work?

4. partsman

partsman

You have to get the uprights, spindles, and hubs from the 51-54. THen you can use all the stuff from the backing plate out. I just converted my 1946 fleetmaster to 5 lug, I used as much of my 56 stuff as i could. I had two trifive donors and still had to get the 51-54 backing plates back. I didn't see any way around it. Even the drums work

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010

5. squirrel

squirrel

No, 55 stuff is different. The drum and the brake shoes and brake hardware will work, but you need the 51-54 hub, spindle, backing plate, etc

6. ems customer service

ems customer service

try chassis engineering they have a disc brake upgrade kit , i bought one for my 54 chev will install this winter, but they had everything and i thought the price was reasonable

7. R and S HotRods

R and S HotRods
    from Hell

thanks everyone for the tips. It was a big help!