Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 Chevy bellhousing questions??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SLAMIT, Jan 24, 2011.

1. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Hey guys. I have a 1949 chevy fleetline and a 235 out of a 1961 chevy pickup with a 3 speed manual... dont know what the 3 speed is originally from.

My Question. To use the later 3 spd in my car with the stock clutch linkage can i use a 55-62 chevy 6 cyl bellhousing???? I am thinking this is what I would need correct. I have thoughts of upgrading to a 5 speed someday but want to use the tranny I got for the time being.

I am going to use custom side mounts for this motor as I dont have the front mount. so mounts arent an issue I just need to know what I need for the clutch shtuff. I realizze the Truck bellhousing wont work due to the fork on the right side.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

3. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Well the info might be there but I cant find it. I have looked and found nothin. I do know that the stock 49 bell will work but the trans bolt pattern is different. can it be drilled? to the correct pattern???

4. Bell is a bolt on, but doesn't have provisions for the same mounts as the stock one, they need to be modified somewhat.

If the trans in it now is open drive, then you shouldn't need to change the bell. Or you could get a Buffalo Enterprises adapter plate for the difference, that also lets you go to a T5 without needing to shorten the input shaft.

5. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Ok... wait what??? I dont have anything in it now. I have a 61 235 and a 3 spd connected to it via stock 60's truck bellhousing that has the clutch fork on the right hand side. so i am wondering if the 55-62 will solve my late tranny in early car and still have stock clutch pedal and linkage work issue. I also dont have a stock bellhousing to work with either. So I need a bellhousing and I am wondering Which one I need.

adapters are cool but cost bucks i dont have.

6. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

7. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Chevy bellhousings from 37-62 interchange, so use a 55-62 car bellhousing in your 49. If memory serves me correctly some of them even have the bolt holes for the early bellhousing mounts should you choose to go that route. You mention side mounts and I would definitely recommend that.but you will of coarse have to make a trans mount to use the later 3 speed tranny. When you want to put the T5 in cut back the pilot snub about 1/4-3/8 of an inch and use a Astro Van clutch with your 1/2 ton flywheel and pressure plate.

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

you really need to use google or the search button. this process has been covered in depth many times over.

without retyping everything, you first need a proper bellhousing. I used my 53 clutch throwout fork in a 55-up car bell with a 1962 truck flywheel, plate / starter, a 1954 235, a fine spline disc, t5, new driveshaft, and a 55 chevy car rearend. I did it all in my gravel driveway with hand tools and a hand me down 3/8 black and decker drill. Get in there, get dirty. I figure I spent $400 total, after selling off some un-used parts. 200 was for a new driveshaft.

mileage may vary.

9. Snarl

Snarl

I covered all this yesterday in another post....

10. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Well thanks for your help guys. I had searched and hadnt really come up with a clear answer as to which belhousing I needed with that trans in my 49 with stock clutch linkage. More or less I knew the answer but wanted to verify before I got under the car and got dirty 2-3 times before I got it right. So here is the end to the post..... no more wasted space here.