Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 cadillac interchangable parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64devi, Nov 27, 2012.

1. 64devi

64devi

anyone know of interchangable parts for these? im mostly looking for brake components as what is sold as "cadillac" is super expensive. im planning on staying stock on the whole braking setup. dont really need any suspension as i am planning on going with an air suspension (unless anyone has swapped the front shocks for some actual A-Arms. maybe wiper arms and other trim that is hard to get for these things that i could get off something else and make fit... any help will be greatly appreciated.

thankS!

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I dont have any answers,but buy a Hollander interchange manual.Its really useful book to have.I bought one for me and another one for a friend of mine who is a Cadillac guy,he owns few 59's.He said that its been really useful book for him.

3. john walker

john walker

body and trim, lots of '49 buick and big olds swap out. frame and suspension, nothing does other than wheels. knee action shocks look close but are different numbers between the big three.

4. 64devi

64devi

Ill be looking into both! Thanks guys!

5. 64devi, John is an expert on these cars, so any information from him is correct.
    A 57 Chevy electric wiper motor is almost a direct bolt on to replace the stock vacuum one.
    As for the front shocks, I used the originals. There is a plug in the top to refill the oil in them. Just fill with motorcycle shock oil. I've had no problem with them.
    Have fun.

~Alden

6. swe64

swe64

i just did my 1949 4-door with parts bying it is sweden. new lines and 2 new wheel cyl and master rebuild kit and 2 wheel cyl reubild kit.and new hoses for 375 dollar
    ken
    sweden

7. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Bendix style brake components (springs, retainers, adjusters, shoes ) are pretty generic. Shoes can be relined if you can find the right shop ( I'd think there's still a few in your area.). Parts stores used to keep all thos other pieces on a display rack ( Like "Help" parts) but that's probably in the past. Any GOOD parts counterman should be able to find all the pieces you need. Drums would be the hardest thing to find and the most expensive.