Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Buick super emblem question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Molotovcockteaze, Dec 8, 2017.

1. So, I recently bought a 1949 Buick super I am fixing up. There is the emblem on the front of the hood. It is in good condition but there is a clear pastic Shield that protects the emblem.
    Mine is cracked and I can' find any sort of replacement. The metal part that holds the emblem is perfect. The emblem itself is perfect but the clear plastic piece that goes between the metal and the emblem itself is cracked which kind of makes the whole thing look ugly. I am sure if I took it some where could 3d print clear plastic and gave them the piece I could have it made, but I can't be the only one who needs this piece yet multiple searchs have yealded nothing. I only get the emblem insert and/or the Chrome Bezel but all I need is a replacement for the clear plactic that goes between the 2.

Maybe someone can help me. Thanks

2. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

My wife uses the clear resin from hobby lobby for her jewelry. Lay the emblem flat then pour in the resin.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Looked at your other post ... obviously, another skull would be in order. You could even light it from behind ...

4. Squablow

Squablow

Is it cracked or is it crazed? Crazing looks like tons of little tiny cracks all over, a real crack is a break that might go the full length of the piece. Crazing is really dense and looks like tiny cracks up close but from a distance makes plastic look cloudy.

If it's crazing you're talking about (post a pic and I can tell you) an old guy trick I learned is to smear it up with vaseline and let it sit for a couple weeks. The vaseline will fill in a lot of those little crazing marks and make the plastic much clearer.

If the '49 Super hood emblem is anything like the one in my dad's '52 Roadmaster, there isn't really an emblem behind it. The outer part is chromed die cast, the plastic "cover" actually has the emblem design cast into the back of the plastic, then there's a rubber pad and a metal plate holding it together from behind. It might look like there's an emblem with plastic on top but the emblem part you're seeing is part of that plastic. That plate behind it is just holding it in place.

If the plastic is indeed crazed, try the vaseline trick and post up before and after pics, I think you'll be pleased. Helps if it's somewhere warm, if the car is inside a shop you're good, if it's outside in the cold it might be worth unbolting the unit and taking it inside the house while it sits.

Also a bit curious to know if your username is a Venture Bros. reference.

scrap_metal and camcrusher like this.

5. Call Frank Guildner he is a Buick Expert. He'll have it or know who does 1-818-353-4303

6. E46

E46

Go to bobsautomobilia.com- they have the emblem as well as those for the trunk handle assembly.

7. Squawblow is right. I've tried a different method to repair crazed lenses over my late-model's headlights. Cleaned em up and gave them a very light sanding with 600...mostly to bring down the high spots and remove any bug residue . Then I gave them about 6 coats of spray can clear acrylic enamel, letting each coat dry to being tacky. The clear acrylic filled all the craze-cracks and pits...headlight look new.
    If your emblem really is severely cracked, I'd clean it up as clean as possible and let it air dry a full day in a warm room...then lay it flat as already said and dribble in the resin. If the emblem isn't totally flat, lay it on an angle, do one half and when it dries, adjust the angle and pour the other side. Shine it up with polishing compound.

8. Thanks everyone I did realize it was one piece and the whole insert is broken.
    It just looked like 2 the way the clear broke off of the insert. I will just have to buy a new insert.

9. Yes