When I bought this car, I bought it sigh unseen about 5 or 6 years ago. I named it Big Bertha as soon as I saw it. It had been "hot rodded" with a 74 LeSabre as the donor car back in the 80's. I guess they felt obliged to use every piece they could from the donor car, so here is what I've encountered as I started peeling the onion. First, when I first drove it, it was scary. The rear axle was a "triangulated 4 link" that was robbed from the LeSabre, I presume. But since the suspension wouldn't fit under the 49, they shortened the arms and welded an angle iron cross member in to provide a forward attachment point for the upper links. The axle moved around a lot and when you hit a dip in the road, the driveshaft hit the angle iron. I installed a 4 link rear with coilovers to cure that problem right after I got it. It still didn't drive particularly well as they had put a GM power steering gear in it, again I presume it came from the LeSabre. The steering was really SLOW. Going aroud a mild bend in the road required major steering wheel input and it took some getting used to, especially after getting out of a quick steering car. Also, they used the 455/TH400 transmission and the crossflow radiator on the "build". This past week I decided it was time to strip the old girl down and give her a proper rebuild and make her into a car I can drive on long trips. So this build will include some non traditional elements and will be a mild custom. Here is what I encountered as I removed the front end. The original core support which holds the entire front end up had been cut off below the bumper filler panel and the all of the weight was being held up by the bumper mounts and that sawed off core support. The cross flow radiator had become a stressed member and was holding the front end together, side to side. So, I'm going to have to reconstruct mounting points for the front end as I do this build. Next, once I got the sheet metal off, I could see that they had notched the DS frame rail in half to accommodate the GM steering gear. Not only that, they also torched out the diagonal brace from the frame rail to the crossmember. Jesus, I'm glad I hadn't really studied this beforehand! Given the state of the front end and the lousy way it drove, I felt that a total front end replacement was the best solution. So, I ordered an OT stub from FatMan and will be installing it. Before I could do that, I had to cut the "reinforcement out of the notched portion of the frame and rebuild it so that I could attach the stub. That is where I am at this point. Overall, this old car is in really good shape. This biggest body work will be replacing the inner and outer rockers, I think.........but you really never know.