Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1949-1953 Flathead Transmission same ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I recently bought a 1949 ShoeBox Club Coupe with a locked up engine. Yesterday I got a 1953 Flathead motor and three speed transmission out of a car.
    Question:
    Will the 1953 bolt right in the mounts as well as driveshaft and linkage >
    Thanks much,

Attached Files:

2. leon bee

leon bee

There are only 3 mount points for the whole deal: the two water pumps and under the transmission. How's the transmission in your car now?

3. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Vanpelt has a parts drawing page that list a ford 49-54, so according to that drawing and info they should be the same.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Rear transmission mount position may differ, just do a measurement check from front of both trans cases to centers of rear mounts. (think the '52-'53s had 'elevated' casting at rear mount)

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two differences I can think of. First the rear mount on a '49-50 is further rearward than the later transmissions.; they moved it forward in '51 to accommodate the new Fordomatic transmission. Second, the shoeboxes ('49-'51) have a boss cast in the side cover to support the clutch linkage. I believe the later transmissions do not have this feature. Although I have never done it, I believe putting the earlier side cover on the later transmission would be a trivial task. I have never swapped tailshafts either, but I think that would NOT be a trivial task.

Here's a picture of the clutch mounting boss on a '51 transmission. This is an overdrive transmission, but the non-OD's are the same. Also notice that the mounting pad is about 4" behind the main case. On a '49-'50, it's about 8".

51Transmission2.JPG

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  6. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

As always, thanks for the quick replies and info
    So does anyone make a frame trans mount adapter for the '53 transmission ?

7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]Untitled by Travis Brown, on Flickr

It's roughly 3 3/8 from tail housing flange mount hole to tail shaft bolt. This is a 1950 transmission out of a business coupe.

Hdonlybob likes this.