Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949-1951 Mercury_Hubcaps to run?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1929FORD5WINDOWCOUPE, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Fellow Hambers,

When it comes to procrastination, I am the king. My tastes differ as i get older (as most folks do). I am once again procrastinating about which hubcap to run on my 51 Merc Kustom. I want to be unique on one hand and follow historic customs on the other hand (proven winners). What is your favorite cap to run on a Kustom Merc with white walls?

Steve

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Kinda impossible to be unique and follow history. Unique is one-of-a-kind. History has been done before.

3. Bounder

Bounder

I run 3 bar checkerboards cause I like them and that's what I had on my ride in high school in the 50's.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

57 Caddy or Early Caddy sombreros. The Olds caps on Bounder's Merc look great also.

5. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I have 56 Olds Starfire on my 51 Merc.That's what it had when it appeared in Car Craft in 57.

6. Special Ed

Special Ed

You don't want to run any hubcaps... They would just look lame. Go with full wheelcovers. Olds or Caddys have the look, along with the TRADITIONAL history.

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

51 caps with beauty rings, 54's, 59 caddys.. if you want to venture into the 61-2 cads, and of course caddy sombreros. Ive never been fond of the 57 cads, i think i just see them all the time so they just dont look good to me anymore. i usually prefer caps that cover the entire rim also, makes the wheels look cleaner

Attached Files:

8. go on ebay and and find a hubcap YOU like that is era correct and run them. or do a search n here.

9. FEDER

FEDER

10. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I like to run traditional caps that are unique that not a lot of people run. Things like '55-'59 olds, '60 desoto, Mid 50's buick caps with '57 Chevy spinners, '57 Ford, '57-'59 Plymouth, etc. come to mind.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My all time favorite on these Mercs is the '53 Cadillac wheel cover.....often erroneously referred to as a "sombrero", but it's closer to a moon disc with a recess and bullet in the center.........very tasteful and 'clean' look. Just my opinion, of course....yours may differ.

Ray

12. Mercchev

Mercchev

53-55 Olds Fiestas always look good. I ran 59 Cads with bullets for a long time on mine. Original Lancers look damn nice too.

Attached Files:

13. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

1957 Lincoln Premier. Beautiful, and you don't see them on every other car. Look at 50 Fraud's avatar if you don't know what they look like. Good luck.

14. Why stick with one style. On off in minutes to change the look once in awhile. To be different i'm going with later model t-bird with a bullet to be installed and 56 olds to start. Not a merc but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

15. 56 Olds Fiestas always look good on a Merc.I know of a real nice set. :)