Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1949 - 1951 Mercury Parts/ Reproduction Parts List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Added a section in post #1, Useful Threads:

2. 48flyer

48flyer

Do you have a part number for these? I checked Rock auto and can not find fronts for the F-100 either. Hopefully you didn't get the last pair

3. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

Looking for 1949 Mercury complete dash.

4. Floor

Floor
    from Belgium

need bushings/rubbers for original upper and lower A arms (merc '49). Can someone guide me in the right direction? (not sure how the parts are called in technical English) thks fellas !

5. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

The A-arms have hinge points that are made up of shafts with threaded ends and mating threaded bushings so the only rubber parts are the dust seals, stabilizer bushings, and the upper & lower bumpers. You can purchase a front suspension kit from a vendor on E-Pay or you can get them from vendors like Mac's, C&G, or others. I purchased upped & lower bumpers and stabilizer bushings from Mercuryland and the NOS shaft kits & rod ends seperately off E-Pay.

6. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

With Rock Autos system, punch in information for 1953 to 1963 F-100 pick up front brake components. They will should come up for any F-100 in those years. There were more than one manufacturer listed the last time I checked so I chose the Candian made ones from Raybestos. It's a lot of work to get them prepped for use but they work well. Right now it's the only thing going "NEW" for the mid century Mercs. They Are Raybestos P/N 2600R.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  7. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I have look thought this thread and I found the different vendors fo my 51 Mercury floor pans. Any feedback on one vendor or another?

hennmann likes this.
  8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

they all suck.."enfieldjoe" bought some from a place, might shoot him a message, i remember him not likeing what he got. i know a guy who makes some though;)

posdriftin likes this.
  9. 19Fordy the Part your looking for is Very
    Price I seen one on ebay sell for 485.
    back about a couple of Months ago
    NOS and I have one but its Not for sale
    I would sugest you see if Mercury Land or the
    mad Greek has a used one

10. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

I bought floor pans from Mercury Land. Would not recommend them.

11. Wouldn't recommend the rockers either.

I think you could make a rain gutter from Home Depot fit nicer.

12. Been there,got the t-shirt........ended up making my own:mad:!

13. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

That is funny! I needed that!

14. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

If you talk to anyone that has done a lot of work on the mid century Mercs, you'll generally always find out that they had to either make their own patch panels or they purchased some of their stuff from another Merc resto shop that already made their own bucks for different panels. Salvage yard finds are getting more rare as time goes by and you nearly always find the same corrosion patterns in every car unless its from desert gulch Arizona or some other dry as a bone place.

I'm getting patterns ready to buck out my own floor pans by hand since I possess no bead roller or Pull Max stuff. The metal is expensive to get for this. The metal itself is not expensive but the shipping is high. I purchase some 18 gauge draw steel (ATSM 1008A DS type B cold rolled sheet steel)from Stock Car Steel & Aluminum and had to get 48" X 48" pieces to do the whole flat panel on each side. If you only need 24" X 48" size sheets, it's a way lot cheeper on the shipping. I'm making the bucks out of plywood which should be good for at least the panels that I need for this project.

For complicated panels like rockers and such, a person will likely have to have at least an english wheel to get the curve right in the outer panel plus a lot of experience with sheet metal would help. The rest in pretty much flat so could still be fabricated with a metal brake or at least a home built folder of some sort.

You have to repair what you got as best you can on these old Mercs until someone starts fabricating decent parts for them if ever. Their are several good sources for metal shaper tutorial DVDs out there to get ideas from.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  15. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

these are the pans i pound out.. im in the process of doing a few to have on hand, just trying to find some free time. i can do other pieces too or special sizes.. really sucks when the patch panel is just a tad to small to fit your spot!

Attached Files:

51 mercules likes this.
  16. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

That's some good work there Matt. Ever since I got the tutorial DVD from David Gardner on metal forming and started checking out other metal shapers work, I've been trying things I never thought I could do with my limited tooling. My techniques vary depending on the tools at hand but in 20 or 30 years I might even get half as good a work out as some of the professionals here on the HAMB.

That looks to be the whole left panel from toe board to center brace and from inner rocker to the tranny cover & hump (the lower portions of the floor always rust the most). If you went all the way to where the metal bends over to form the flange of the inner rocker, you need a piece of metal bigger than 24 inches wide so you have to order at least half sheets of steel to do it. I can't tell if you have the little pedal hump in there yet or not but it's pretty damn accurate. Forming the joggle for the tranny cover around that angled bead looks to be the hardest part for me tool wise. I'll likely make a form from some flat metal strap iron or bar stock with a cut out for the bead. I don't think the plywood will be strong enough to form the edge of the joggle next to the bead but I might be surprised. FoMoCo looks like they scrunched the bead there a bit forming the tranny cover joggle on most of the Mercs I've worked on. The great thing about this kind of forming is that a person can change his pattern to suit what ever he needs even if it isn't totally original. Sometimes the original was funky anyway and needed fixing. There are a lot of wrinkles in the T-hump for the center brace. FoMoCo likely figured what the hell, the customer can't see it anyway after they sprayed all that sound deadener on there that's such a bitch to get off after 60 + years.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  17. Made some updates.

18. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I recently purchased some parts for my 51 Mercury from Obsolete Classic Auto Parts, Inc, parts for 49-72 Fords & Mercurys. They have an extensive catalog they'll send. Check out the online catalog at: www.classicautoparts.com

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  19. Chefbiz62

Chefbiz62
    from Omaha, Ne

Anyone know who sells a patch panel for lower front fenders behind the wheel?

20. Bounder

Bounder

I need lower fender patch panels,too.

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Green Mountain Parts used to but are no longer doing so. Give EMS a call to see if the 49-51 Ford patch panel will fit. I bet it will close enough so that you could just add a strip of metal to it to make it wider. The rolled edge is the key.
    http://www.emsautomotive.com/ford.htm

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  22. ems customer service

ems customer service

a nice thought but 49 ford parts will not fit 49/51 mercs and nothing is close enough to modify

the ems guy

23. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Here are some pics of all the floor pans and door bottoms I am selling for the mercs. They come with the holes drilled for the mounting bolts and the dimmer switch too. If ya might need something else let me know.

matt

Attached Files:

posdriftin likes this.
  24. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Matt Looking good!Do you make trunk pans too?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  25. NICE!

A few folks have asked me about tail pans if that is what they are called, the part that the trunk lid latches to....

26. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

ill have to see about those too!

27. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Damn Matt, you've been busy. Those are the best reproductions I've seen offered yet. I just purchased a good used tail panel fom Papke and he was proud of it. I still kick myself in the ars for not bidding on a good NOS one several years ago on flea-pay. One of my cars had a bad smack in the rear and crushed that panel like a bug. I think the trunk has been open ever since. The bumper never let it get to the trunk lid but the rear valance and tail panel are shot for sure.

28. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Holy cow, Matt...those are beautiful!

29. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

These four books are extremely valuable in rebuilding your Mercury. They cover everything - part numbers, exploded views, assembly or disassembly procedures, etc. You can find them various places, like Amazon, ePay. I've seen the same catalogs with different covers, but the content inside was all the same. I believe these are reproductions of Ford manuals.

Attached Files:

Got Trq likes this.
  30. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

The original overhaul manual was in a large dark blue three ring binder. I see them on flea-pay now and then but they are pricy. You have to get the ones that are updated through 1951 if you want all the info for the initial three year run. Crank & Hope Publications used to publish a two volume set of little books but I like the full sized ones better. The pictures are better if you get an original copy but the reproductions will get you by. The Chassis Parts Catologs are useful for any year but having the 49 thru 53 gives all the updated part numbers that were available in 1953. Some part numbers were superseded in each year of publication. For this reason, if you have a 49, 50, or early 51 and you still have the Borg Warner overdrive transmission, you need the early 49/50 or 49/51 Chassis Parts Catolog to find all the old part numbers. The Body Parts Catalogs are best purchased for the actual year of your car since they weren't updated in a range of years (1949 book is only good for 1949 and so on).

I've got a CD that has several different years of books in the series and Lincoln books too so you can find out all the interchangeable parts. The CD was made by Detroit Iron Information Systems and is invaluable for restoration of these cars. The CD should still be available from this site. http://www.detroitironis.com/ If they don't sell them outright, they should have a listing of their distributors on the site.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012