Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1949-1951 Ford Ammeter wiring for 12V

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dharlett, Aug 26, 2016.

1. dharlett

dharlett
    from SE Ohio

I have a 1949 Ford whose electrical system has been converted to 12V. I have never had the gauges hooked up and I recently acquired a nice rebuilt original speedometer/gauge cluster.

I want to use this original gauge cluster so I plan on using a Ford Mustang Instrument Voltage Regulator (B9MZ-10804) to drop the voltage from 12 to 6 for the gauges.

I want to use the original ammeter if possible but I'm not quite sure which part of the wiring harness needs to run through it...and if direction matters?

See the diagram. Do I use the positive lead going to the starter? or the alternator?
    I would appreciate any guidance on figuring out what i need for A and B on the diagram.

1949 ford speedometer wiring.png

2. garyf

garyf

If you google wiring an amp gauge you will get your answer to the wiring. If when you hang your wire on the back of your amp gauge it shows discharge when it is charging, just hang the wire the opposite direction on the back of gauge Don't forget fuses

dharlett likes this.
  3. manyolcars

manyolcars

If you want it to read C when charging, just run the wire thru the Ammeter the opposite way. I left mine alone and when it is charging it is slightly to the D side and I am OK with that because I know it is charging crestlinerskirts.jpg

dharlett likes this.