Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948 Stylemaster Defroster Piping - Need Info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy48, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Chevy48

Chevy48

In my car I have 2 switches that will turn on the factory installed Cabin Heater Fan and/or Defroster Fan units.

The Defroster Vents and fan units are in under the dash, however the piping between the vents and defroster blower is missing. So far, I have not be able to find an illustration or other means to tell what this piping (or plenum) is suppose to look like?

I plan to go the hardware store and buy a reducing Tee (2-½” to 1-1/14”) and find some king of tubing to connect it all up. (Swimming pool, sump-pump or vacuum cleaner hose possibly or some other thing.)

I think it will work, however I would like to have the original piping? Does anyone have the info to help me replicate the original stuff or know where to get it ?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. fordor41

fordor41

I bought my flex hose from the local truck (semi) supply house or try McMaster-Carr.

3. Chevy48

Chevy48

Very good! May I ask what you used for a TEE? Thanks!

4. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Check out some the A/C dealers , Vintage Air etc.
    They have the fittings and the tubes.

5. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

My original heater has a Y duct off the heater for the two defroster tubes, the heater has two fans, one for the compartment and one for the defroster.

6. fordor41

fordor41

My Ford has 2 hoses coming out of the top of the heater box

7. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

9. Chevy48

Chevy48

I thumbed through the new chevys of the 40's catalog, each time more carefully than the last, and despite some jaw-dropping graphics for sure, I saw nothing in regard to defroster plumbing.

I have only one defroster outlet on my blower, no y-duct unfortunately. The dash does have a duct under each window, so I presume there has to be a y-pipe adapter or tee somewhere between them.

Actually, it would have been nice the other evening to have the defrosters working. Luckily, I had a few napkins to wipe with. After a while, the cabin warmed up enough and it stayed clear.

Thanks!

10. Chevy48

Chevy48

I get a message from a fellow delivery owner and friend Monkey_Spunk and he was kind enough to climb under his dash and snap this photo for me. Outstanding!

As he explains, the Y-pipe fits directly on the blower, and the two hoses each go to the defroster vents. No screws or fasteners, it just all slips together without an problem.

Chevyfordman, you nailed it also, and now I can see exactly what you meant.

Now the issue is, where can I get one?

Thanks guys! :)

Attached Files:

11. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

12. Chevy48

Chevy48

Hey there...

Yes that would will do the trick,if It fits. I will have to go measure the diameters and perhaps I can find reducers to match up.

Nice find!

Thanks!

13. Chevy48

Chevy48

A fellow member wrote to me asking for more detail about the fitting I need. I thought I would post my reply for inquisitive minds.

The piece is “Y” shaped. It fits directly on the blower. (See photo I colored it red). It has two openings at the top of the “Y” that are 1-3/4” diameter. (the hosed fit on to those) The bottom of the “Y” (which fits onto the blower) is about 2-1/4” in diameter.

Thanks! :)

Attached Files: