Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1948 Oldsmobile lowering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrloboy, Feb 3, 2018.

1. mrloboy

mrloboy

I have a 1948 Oldsmobile Sedanette. It has a 12 bolt diff mounted on the original trailing arms. I would like to get the rear height lowered by 3 or 4 inches. Anybody achieved this with a spring swap or by cutting coils? Rick

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I used '68-72 GM Intermediate rear coils in my 50, they bolted right in !

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

The Olds had angled pads with large bushing (2 x each side) that bolted to trailing arms, what body is yours; A (66), B (76) or C (98)? Here's a copy from my 46 Master Parts catalogue and Shop Manual as I couldn't remember being that I pulled mine out that long ago. The coil spring is tapered top and bottom and held on by a large HD washer so you'd need to have short coils made or swap in later GM coils. I recall that when out of car they are quite tall when not compressed.
    upload_2018-2-4_13-16-18.png 20180204_130237.jpg

4. mrloboy

mrloboy

Yes that is the setup I have. Not sure which series the car is. Was originally a six cylinder engine. Any idea of what later coils may work?

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There you go, Marty gave you the springs and the gent from down under has the nice diagram. I remember that in the mid 80's when I was teaching auto shop one student wanted to lower the rear of his car and the other wanted to jack the rear of his and I mentioned trying a spring swap and they both got what they wanted. It might be trial and error or getting into a spring catalog and checking heights but it should be reasonably simple.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

While you're at it and under the car, check both the pinion and transmission angles, more for peace of mind just in case! Last thing you want is strange harmonics after you do all the hard work. Also FYI:-
    • 'A' is 119" WB
    • 'B' is 125" WB; and
    • 'C' is 127" WB
    Not much body wise interchanges between models.
    Pinion.jpg

7. mrloboy

mrloboy

Great place to start. I’ll try the stock height pickup ones first and go from there . Thanks for the help fellas !