Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1948 Ford Sedan Delivery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cowtown, Jul 8, 2017.

1. 2935ford

2935ford

Yes, nice score.........have fun! :)

2. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

Wow - great story (except for the camera). Can hardly wait to see more.

Here are a few pics of my cousin's 47 Dodge. There is some inspiration for you! : )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Cowtown

Cowtown

Nice Dodge and Nice 46 tudor!!! My Plans? I am all over the place with this Sedan Delivery. I found and purchased a really nice rear door and hinges so that makes me happy. Last week I found and purchased a set of NOS rear fenders that only fit the delivery. Found a NOS set of fronts also. Yesterday I went to see a friend in northern Montana who has Tons of parts and got a real nice tail light and a beautiful factory accessory drivers side mirror that fits on the cowl instead of the trim piece but the base matches the trim. Also now have all 4 matching factory rims which are at the sand blasters and a set of tires on the way. Also got 3 good 46 hubcaps yesterday and picked up a nice 4th one while in Billings today. So I am making progress!!! Thought about keeping original color with black fenders (that's the way it left the factory) and putting in a 302 or 351 Cleveland and a automatic. Then thought about putting in a hopped up Mercury Flat Head. The body on this delivery is so nice. There are only 2 rust spots about the size of a quarter and that's it. Floors are perfect. What would you guys do to it?????????? Give me some ideas.

4. Cowtown

Cowtown

I also thought about driving it as is in its original clothes. I will get some more pictures on here in the next couple of days. Got a new camera that's so far advanced you really don't need it. Round lens but still takes square pictures.

5. Cowtown

Cowtown

Also I am running out of time to work on it for awhile. I am trying to get a 48 Chevy 3100 pickup ready to sell and the Sturgis Rally is in two weeks which I always spend a week there and got to get the bike ready to go. My son who is over fighting ISIS and thinks he is going to get leave to go to Sturgis with me.

6. I love deliveries! I've been told some early 47's used left over 46 stainless and chrome trim and parking lights.
    What would I do? I've always wanted one in Ford Dove gray, gray big and little steelies, black tires, lowered suspension and I'd keep all the trim on it. A ford small block would be ok but I prefer chevy running gear myself. Yeah, the haters will argue this all day. Don't chop it, by buddy chopped his 46 delivery and I hate it.

RAK and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  7. Very cool finds. I love the idea of driving the delivery in factory trim . Oh and uh, tell your son thank you for his service.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

The37Kid and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. Cowtown

Cowtown

I took the right rear fender off on Sunday. Every single fender bolt once loosen and turned about a turn and a half was taken out with my fingers. There are in perfect shape and all will go back in with the NOS fenders. I am sure they have been in there for the whole 71 years. That's pretty normal here in Montana.

9. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Great solid western find. I have a 46 delivery sitting in the country waiting for me to get to it. I have chased down a few parts, where did you find rear door hinges? The short piece of cowl trim is rare but I have seen some close replacements. I will be watching this thread.

10. Cowtown

Cowtown

Thanks, I couldn't find any hinges but the door I found has them on it. Or so I was told. Bought the door sight unseen and the guy couldn't send any pictures. I hoping it turns out ok. It will be a couple of weeks before I see it as a friend is going to haul it back from California.

RODIST likes this.
  11. sawzall

sawzall

I believe that the cowl trim is the same as any 46 ford body style

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  12. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Just came across this thread, I tried to answer your question on the ford barn thread about rear door hinges.
    hope it helps

13. Love Montana for all the open space, and oh yeah dry rust-free cars!

14. Cowtown

Cowtown

door purchase turned out to be a $700.00 scam. That hurt!

15. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Major Bummer !!! Don't need crap like that.

16. Nice delivery, have fun with it and a pox on the prick that stole your door money.

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  17. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

IMG950540.jpg IMG950539.jpg Screenshot_2017-06-24-21-59-49.png Here is the 1946 delivery I just bought. Although it was converted to an ambulance by the Seibert company. I'm looking forward to building this one. I've had several 46-48 deliveries. They make great hot rods.

Attached Files:

koolkemp and rodncustomdreams like this.
  18. Cowtown

Cowtown

Love the ambulance!! That's a one of a kind. Let me know if you know of any rear doors. Thanks A Lot

19. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

There is a rear door on ebay right now.

20. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

21. Cowtown

Cowtown

I have been watching that one. That one has had a lot of weird work done to it. The hinges are on the wrong side and they should bolt on in the jam of the door not on the back. I think its been all filled in on the correct side of the door.

22. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I have owned a couple of these 46/7 sedan deliveries and like them a lot. Here are some photos for you. I think I have the cowl trim which is the same for all 46-47 Fords. The taillights are also hard to find and expensive. If you need any photos or information, I can supply most photos as I build them myself. The roof is bad about rusting from the inside along the seams and inner roof.
    Keep us posted.

IMG_4390.jpg IMG_4383.jpg IMG_4377.jpg

2111632222_f993dba4fc.jpg clary car28.jpg DSCN1984.jpg
    This is how mine turned out after I sold it and purchased a done 40 delivery.

sedan delivery fav002.jpg 1946 Ford Sedan Delivery-1.jpg IMG_1721.jpg
    This one is basically stock and he drives it everywhere.
    IMG_1723.jpg
    Here is a nice shot of the rear door. A vary hard to find item as the production was low on these deliveries.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Congratulations! What a great find, just found this thread, really nice to see all the interest and photos of other deliveries, really like that green one above. Hope the new camera produces nice photos. Good luck with it. Bob

24. Cowtown

Cowtown

Great Pictures! My body is pretty good but my rear door is dented up pretty good and the original hinges are gone. Some one years ago put some outside hinges on it and then cut about 3/4 of a inch off the left side. I would love to find nice door and the hinges. Also would like to find a right side tail light arm. I will send you some pictures in a few days. Car show tomorrow in Red Lodge, Montana so I will be gone.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. Cowtown

Cowtown

I did just pickup a set of NOS rear fenders.

26. RODIST

RODIST

chryslerfan55 and koolkemp like this.
  27. RODIST

RODIST

Hi,.. good luck with your 46 delivery project. I'll be following your progress postings, as I too have a delivery project, which could use hinges , or at least 1/2 hinges.!!
    Here are a few pics of my project, waiting for me to get busy!!
    My inner & outer rockers & related braces are decayed . My hinges appear to have been torch cut , apparently the door was removed from a donor .
    The first hinge pics are of hinges a Rodder from Massachusetts made up for his delivery. He harvested Sedan hinges & cut& welded them to fit.
    The cowl trim is available .
    There's a 46 parts vendor in NY , named Marks antique ford, or some similar type name . Keep on truckin!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I made a low offer on that door, and it was accepted. Shipping bumped it back up a bit, but still only have $350 in it. I'd sell it, but almost worth that to keep for a spare.

koolkemp likes this.
  29. Cowtown

Cowtown

Good for you Ed. I would say that's a good buy now. I will keep it in mind if I can't find anything else. I couldn't figure out the hinge part on it. Let me know how it is when you get it.

30. Cowtown

Cowtown

You have a good project also. Thanks for the pictures! Everything is helpful!