Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948 Ford Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tinbasher, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Has anyone install a stainless steel Windshield reveal moulding on the windshield of a 1948 Ford Pick-up. I'm working on one right know and it's fighting me all the way. Your info would be aprreciated.

The Old Tinbasher

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I believe that most early car/truck windshield trim mouldings should be installed in the rubber before the windshield is installed in the car.

3. ...that's the way the shop manual says to do it,...then slip a piece of 16 guage electrical wire in the outside groove crossing the wires toward the inside at the bottom center a few inches, set the glass up in frt. of the opening and from the inside pull the ends of the wire one at a time, alternating wires, pulling the rubber over the pinchweld as you go. It helps to place a little dishsoap on the pinchweld before you start so the rubber slips over it easier.

...I just installed one and had to help the rubber come over the lip with a small bent screwdriver as I went; as you go, tap on the outside of the glass with the palm of your hand to help seat it in place. I did mine by myself but someone on the outside assisting mite help ya....good luck.

4. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

First you need at least one more hand.

I know it's real PIA to do, I've done it a few times on my '49.

The way I do it is install the windshield in the rubber first, then install about 80% of the trim in the rubber, leaving the two open ends dangling. Then install the window into the window opening with a piece of heavy string inserted into the slit that the window opening goes into. I use the string from a plumb bob. Use a lot of liquid soap as lubricant in the slit. Some people use a sealant between the window and the rubber to insure a good seal, I didn't and water leaks in the bottom corners when it rains. After I have the window and rubber completely installed I use a nylon window tool, it has rounded beveled ends on each end, to work the trim piece into the rubber.

[​IMG]

Take you time. After you have the trim completely in snap on the small seam cover. On more thing, I always cut off the four tabs welded to the window frame. The shop manual's instructions says to cut them off if you're installing the stainless trim piece. I cut them off no matter if I'm using the trim or not. They don't do anything except crack your window when you forget they're there and you try to work on your window.

Here's the page out of the shop manual. It's helpful but I don't follow their way of installing the trim piece, it just won't work.

Bob Jones
    www.fatfenderedtrucks.com

[​IMG]