Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948 Ford F4 build thread

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Hivolt5.0, Nov 8, 2011.

1. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been following along. Nice work David! Who knew that you would have space issues for booster?

2. farmer12

farmer12

Great work David. I like the way you tackle everything thoroughly. Love the powder coated parts.

3. The "new" rims were also powder coated and the owner bought some new tires for them. I am really impressed with how the rims came out. Not only are the coated silver, but they have a clear powder coat on them as well. I can hardly wait to get a rolling chassis, but so much more to do.

[​IMG]

After talking with the owner about the color scheme of the truck and showing him renderings like the one OahuEli graciously provided, he decided on a silver grill and rims to go with the maroon body.

4. Thanks! I know, it's crazy how tight things get in there. I can't imagine the space constraints the Model A guys have to deal with.

Thanks Eric! I have to admit that I'm really impressed with the powder coating too. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've learned a lot in this process. One of those is prep work. You always hear that a paint job is only as good as the prep work underneath it, well powder coating is definitely the same.

I've also learned that post WWII American steal has some potential issues as it goes through the powder curing process. The Coater told me that since various metals were used to make the cars back then, some of the "impurities" in the metal likes to bubble out during the curing. He said he baked them good before the powder process to try and get all those bubbles out but if you look close you can still see some. It almost looks like metal flake. The surface is still smooth and the coating durable, but you can see some "imperfections" in it. That being said, unless you really look for them, it's hard to notice. I have no regrets though.

5. eastwildlife

eastwildlife

As fall starts setting in, still following build. Cut the grape vines off mine in Oct, one of these days... Nice work.

6. Thanks eastwildlife! It's been slow going on the F4 these past couple of months. After getting the brake booster/MC bracket all welded up I realized the MC didn't sit level. I know it would not have hurt its operation but it bugged the stew out of me!! So, I cut one end off the bracket and with the help of a couple of jack stands and my wife I was able to get the MC to sit level once it is all bolted up. I feel much better now. :D

Now I'm trying to make a bracket to hold the proportioning valve. I have some ideas drawn up but just need some time to make it. I hope it turns out like I envision it!!

7. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I like the finish on those new rims.

8. havi

havi

Wheels look great! what truck did they come off of?

9. Thanks HOTFR8!! They look even better in person...very smooth finish. The powder coater really did a great job and it's obvious he takes pride in his work which is nice.

Havi, the rims are from a Dodge chassised RV, I believe a '70s variant. They are 19.5 x 6 solid wheels. A guy on the Ford Barn sent me a Craig's List link to them. They are Budd wheels but I forget what the PN for them is. Here's a link that has a bit more information on them and the dangers of the original "widow maker" wheels.

http://www.fatfenderedtrucks.com/widowmaker.html

hope this helps.

10. sololobo

sololobo

Love this cool build. I am diggin all the old F series trucks. Saw a 53 f-350 today at the gas station, it was tan with dark brown fenders and top and in original nice condition, awesome! Rock it kids ~sololobo~

11. Thanks Sololobo!! I love these old trucks too; they have such character and look good in various build styles.

12. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Some one that takes pride in the work they do :) .What a good find.

13. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

14. Amen to that!!! I have a few more parts to send to him once I get them prepped too.

Thanks Kustom Falcon!! I'm anxious to see it come to together too!!! Btw, love your Falcon! That's my favorite Falcon body style.

15. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

A good finish comes from good preperation :).

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I agree, the silver grill and wheels will contrast the maroon paint rather nicely. Good to see that this truck is coming along!

17. Definitely a lesson I've learned the hard way at times. But at least I'm learning!!!

Thanks OahuEli! If I could keep my daily drivers working I could spend more time on this truck. I hope to have some more picture updates within the next couple of weeks.

18. Well, it's been awhile since I've been able to do much work on the F4. Like you guys, life gets in the way of fun sometimes but that's ok. It's a new year and I'm hopeful to make some good progress. The past couple of days I've been working on a bracket to hold the proportioning valve. My first attempt failed miserably so I tried plan C. Using some 1/4 round rod I made the following bracket. I do plan to have it powder coated along with a few other things and then I'll start running my brake lines. This was my first attempt at using the round rod and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thats pretty creative! Me likee!

20. Thank you Eli!!!

21. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

I happened to read about your method of removing the axle bearing nuts. The axle nut sockets don't cost much; under 30 bucks. You really need to use one to preload the bearings and to have the two nuts locked together, other wise if they back off, the axle and hub can come loose, it does happen! The "Tool Warehouse.Net" has the sockets. Be sure and measure it carefully, there are 3 inch and 2 7/8. Looks like you are doing a super nice job on the truck!! I have a '52 I need to start on!!

22. Thank you for sharing wisdom with me Mike. I really do appreciate it. I'll definitely look up those axle nut sockets as I want this truck to be safe.

23. Some of those axle nuts are 8 point.

24. farmer12

farmer12

Great bracket you've fabricated, looking good!

25. Fairlane Mike, I went and looked in the stash of parts for the truck and found these: Three lug wrenches, a pull bar and big socket. I tried the socket on the axle nuts and it's a perfect fit!! I'd like to clean these wrenches up and restore them as well. What would you guys recommend? Maybe powder coat them too?

[​IMG]

26. Fairlane Mike, I went and looked in the stash of parts for the truck and found these: Three lug wrenches, a pull bar and big socket. I tried the socket on the axle nuts and it's a perfect fit!! I'd like to clean these wrenches up and restore them as well. What would you guys recommend? Maybe powder coat them too?

[​IMG]

27. Thanks Eric! It feels good to finally get back to work on the truck.

28. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Give them a vinegar bath.

Neal

29. Thanks Neal, I'll research the vinegar bath process and go from there.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto.