Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948 Ford F4 build thread

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Hivolt5.0, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Checked off a couple more items on the to do list. I installed the seat belts, programmed the electric fan controller, programmed the Lokar gear indicator (also had to adjust the shift rod) and installed the AC duct work. It looks like a bunch of snakes under the dash now.

But I have another two steps back. While running the motor the engine started stumbling and then died and it would not start for anything afterwards. I let it cool down and called a buddy, who was a real hot rodder back in the day. We got running again and checking various things; timing, idle, fuel pressure, etc. Well the engine loaded up again and died. Upon closer inspection there was fuel puddled under the primary carb. We got running again and fuel is dripping out of the accelerator pump on the primary and the back secondary. At this point we're thinking the carbs are dumping too much fuel into the motor. We disconnected the fuel from the back carb and ran the motor again. It seemed to run a bit better but fuel was still coming out of the accelerator pump on the primary. After the all of the idling the engine was getting warm so we turned it off and called it a day. Looks like I'll be buying some carb rebuild kits for the 94s. Yea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

JUNK ROD likes this.
  2. Your work continues to look quite professional and tidy. Carb issues always seem to plague me, until I finally get it right. I know that your issues will get solved quickly, and then it will be two steps forward again.

3. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Yep, it looks "tidy". Putting so many things in such a little space is challenging, nice job. Sounds like a good plan on the door also.

4. Thanks guys. I guess in the grand scheme of things my steps backwards aren't huge issues; just a little frustrating at times. The carbs have been sitting for a couple of years so I assume the seals and gaskets just dried out. So yesterday I ordered three Edlebrock rebuild kits and I also ordered an Edlebrock fuel pressure regulator. Seems like I've read that the current FPR is problematic at best. I also wasn't very happy with the way I had the fuel components plumbed so this gives me a chance to make it better. Here's a pic of the current setup.

IMG_2547.JPG

JUNK ROD and brEad like this.
  5. The carb gasket sets and new FPR arrived today but I worked on finishing up the interior instead. I trimmed and installed the kick panels, installed the tool box and the seat. Had a little issue with the seat belts. I had to turn the retracted part around in order for it to fit and the open back side is exposed. Got any ideas on what I can use to cover that??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JUNK ROD likes this.
  6. "Got any ideas on what I can use to cover that??"
    How about some black plastic abs sheet, a heat gun and a wood block "master"?
    I used pebble grain abs for kick panels in my F-1, the heatgun allowed me to form around areas. My $.02

7. Charleyw, that sounds like a great idea! Where do I get the abs plastic sheet?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Terrible80

Terrible80

Maybe find a " Tupperware" container that fits and paint black ?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. After a couple of weeks I finally have the carbs rebuilt and the fuel system almost finished up for a second time. I need to buy some more fuel line to completely finish it off.

Rebuilt carbs look the same.
    [​IMG]

FPR ready for installation.
    [​IMG]

I took some time to polish this up a bit. Here’s before.
    [​IMG]

And after. I also painted the indents. I know you want see it that much but I’ve been wanting to paint them ever since got it.
    [​IMG]

Closer pic
    [​IMG]

FPR mounted. Tried to level it with the oil canister on the opposite side.
    [​IMG]

Pay no attention to the wire loom looking like fuel line. I just put it there to get the visual. I also don’t have the real fuel line connected to the FPR. I need to get a hose barb.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

j-jock, Johnboy34, brEad and 2 others like this.
  10. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Once again - Looking Good.

osage orange likes this.
  11. x2. You did a nice job on that intake!

Hivolt5.0 likes this.
  12. Took a little bit of time after work today and made some lines for the oil canister, aka master cylinder reservoir. I don’t have it plumbed all the way to the master cylinder because I still need to make a new top for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

selohssa and JUNK ROD like this.
  13. So I didn’t get to work on the F4 today because I accompanied my wife to a wedding. But, it wasn’t a total loss. The wedding was at a big barn north of Milton, FL and there was this sweet F5. It was it good shape and still had floor boards!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OahuEli and osage orange like this.
  14. Is that a '52? Are you thinking of getting it? Hmmmm...

15. I believe it is a 52. Wish I could get it but I have a 57 Ranchero that I need to restore next as well as 52 F2.

OahuEli likes this.
  16. FoMoCoMoFo

FoMoCoMoFo
    from WY

57 Ranchero! Those are cool, can't wait to see that build. Your attention to detail is amazing.

osage orange and Hivolt5.0 like this.
  17. 52lomofo

52lomofo

osage orange likes this.
  18. Is it the side spear on the hood that gives the year away?

19. 52lomofo

52lomofo

Yes and the front of the hood52 v8 emblem is on the front of the hood and on 51 it is on center section between the fenders

Hivolt5.0 and osage orange like this.
  20. I don’t know whether to blame the packer or the shipper but the windshield is toast. Unfortunately I didn’t check the glass when I received it a few months ago.

[​IMG]

21. I hope you can recoup your expense on the glass. Shipping glass is always iffy. Back in 1969, I had glass cut and fitted for my '29 A coupe by Safelight. Local guy working there knew his stuff, did a great job and at a reasonable price. Cutting the concave lower edge of the windshield was so difficult that he had to cut three windshields before we got one that didn't crack. Again, this is just another annoying delay, but you've done a terrific job so keep in mind that we're all cheering you on.

22. Thanks Osage.
    I took the remains to a local glass shop and they’re gonna cut me new one. Said they should have it done by Monday.

A friend helped me install the back glass and we got the driver door glass in before I had to quit to get my boys from school. Definitely a bunch of trial and error. Still need to get the driver vent glass and of course the passenger door glass installed.

Getting there one step at a time.

osage orange likes this.
  23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Glass can really be a pain to work with. I broke two before successfully installing one in my avatar. At least yours is flat and a little easier to work with.

osage orange likes this.
  24. This is true Eli. There are benefits to having flat glass.

osage orange likes this.
  25. I know I jump around a lot with this truck. I must have ADHD at times. Thanks for your patience.

So I connected the fuel lines and primed the system. The fuel filter is seeping a bit but the type I have are know for that. I turned the FPR down as low as it’d go and I have 2psi of fuel pressure. Then I noticed fuel leaking from the throttle shafts. I texted a buddy of mine who knows infinitely more than I about carbs. He suggested running the motor and tapping the bowls. I did and they’re still leaking. He suggested adjusting the float level so I’ll do that.

But I really needed a success so I took the driver door off to see if I could get some more adjustment out of it so that I could close it now that the weather stripping is installed at the bottom. I used a round file and opened the adjustment holes more, reinstalled the door and it works!! I can shut it easily now. Yea!!

I think I’ll work on installing the door weather stripping now.

Again, sorry for jumping around so much.

Johnboy34 and osage orange like this.
  26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Is the fuel leaking from all three throttle shafts? If only one I'd suggest checking and adjusting float level but all three suggests a fuel delivery problem.

27. The front carb was the worst but all three leaked some.

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Pull the tops of the carbs and check the needle valves. Sounds like they may be stuck open for some reason. You should have no fuel at all coming out the throttle shafts.

29. I sure will Eli. Thank you. I’ll let you guys know the outcome as soon as I can get some time to work on it.

30. My buddy came over to help me finish installing the glass today. Yeah, that didn’t work out so well. We installed the passenger door glass and then spent the next 4 hours trying to get the windshield in. We tried everything, grease, soapy water, pulling the strings from the top, the bottom and even the sides! I’m pretty convinced the glass is just a tad too big because we get get the whole windshield and rubber to seat in the opening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]