Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 F1 rattle can rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jun 15, 2011.

1. I really scored and bought a NOS glass bowl Holley this week for the F-1. Found it on an Impala site I hangout on. Guy was selling a bunch of carbs, fuel pumps and suspension parts. $80 including shipping. Came with part of the original box and the instructions. Gonna try and get it installed tomorrow.

2. Been back on the CammerBird at work. This car has C5 Corvette suspension and transaxle. Engine is a 1966 Ford 427 SOHC. Got the new chromed Cobra wheels test fitted with some junk tires. Gonna need lot bigger meats for the back. Rear wheels are 11" wide. Roughed in small flares to the rear wheel well that was enlarged a little too. Gas door welded up, new custom gas tank and filler. Trans tunnel and shifter mount finished. Sent a big pile of chrome and stainless in for refinishing.

1957 Ford Thunderbird 2016 02 c SMALL.JPG

1957 Ford Thunderbird 2016 02 d SMALL.JPG

1957 Ford Thunderbird 2016 02 h SMALL.JPG

1957 Ford Thunderbird 2016 02 e SMALL.JPG

3. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Hey Mark the bumpers look great!! Might need to get a set as soon as I ever get the old girl back to together.. got a Model a 31 Sedan edging out the F1. Your new ride looks interesting! George

4. Put the 1948 F-1 Rattle Can Rebuild on Portland Craigslist.
    I have too many cars or I'd keep it. Many extra parts included.

Mark 5O3 . 8O6 . 47O6

DSC08522.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, hell.:(

volvobrynk and Bomb like this.
  6. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Some one is going to finish up with a very good truck.

1959Nomad likes this.
  7. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

I hope a newbie buys it - Nice little truck to get there feet wet with!

1959Nomad likes this.
  8. that is totally BADASS!

9. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

i guess that time has come, thanks for a enjoyable build thread.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Looks like "The Rattle Can Rebuild" truck will be going to it's new owner next weekend.

DSC08412.JPG

Been working on my Impala.

DSC08622.JPG

DSC08636.JPG

DSC08608.JPG

After the F-1 is gone I'll be putting the Buick more together, ready to sell

0 DSC06790b.JPG

After the Buick is gone the Impala may go.
    I have my eye on one of these.
    It's not stock.
    00 61 Vette 1 plate.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

12. It's not wild....
    4 wheel power discs, power steering, a dressed up 350 blah engine,
    Fancy aluminum wheels and fat tires.
    Mild custom metallic paint, close to original color.

But... a nice, complete, finished and driving car with factory 4 speed.
    Impala is a little too large for my taste and garage plus I don't like the colors.
    Mrs. Lowkat really wants another old Vette before Alzheimer's sets in on us.

I have a 350hp/327 gathering dust with matching Muncie close ratio.
    Also a 302" with the good stuff but not an original DZ block.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Sounds like you have a plan and if you are going to have one car the Vette looks like a good choice, especially if your wife is on board with the plan. Good to see the updates on the 61, it will sell quickly when the time comes.

14. Wow I really liked the lowbuck practical aspects of the truck build! While Movin on is hard on us spectators Movin up to a vette is pretty cool... good for you and the mrs.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. New owner picked up "The Rattle Can Rebuild" this afternoon.

He's been on the HAMB looking at this build thread.
    Maybe we'll see it here again ....
    1948 Ford F-1 sold 1.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Forgot to mention I bought another cheap truck last week.
    Not HAMB friendly though.

1970 Chevy C20 Longhorn Camper Special.
    One owner, 83,000 miles, original paint and 350 engine, 350 trans.
    Bedsides are banged up from bringing hay in out of the field for ten summers.

Always parked under cover. No rust and no leaks. It sat for the last 10 years. I dinked around and got it running. Put in some fresh gas then drove it 10 miles home. Boy, do those tires have flat spots. Probably going to keep it around to haul junk and my car trailer.

1970 Chevy Longhorn 2.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. RunninOn6

RunninOn6

So I have the awesome privilege of being the new owner of the rattle can rebuild 1948 Ford F-1. We had an hour long drive home and drove the 48 the whole way without any issue and I must say I had a blast! A few small things to fix and I hope this 48 will become my daily driver! Many many thanks... LowKat I must say you are a master!

IMG_3814.JPG

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  18. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Great to see the new owner posting with the truck and may I be the first to say welcome to the HAMB. Not wanting to be rude and at the same time trying to help a new HAMBer may I be polite and suggest you should post an introduction in the correct part of the forum so you get a better feel for the HAMB and how it all works. I guess some one is having fun with a new truck.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. HA! Great picture RunninOn6. Gave me a big smile.

This website is a wealth of knowledge, a great asset and lots of fun. If you're going to post on the HAMB, better do an introduction as HOTFR8 mentioned. Nothing too personal or in depth needed but you'll catch the wrath of some old grouchy gearheads if you don't.

Here's a link to the intro page:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/new-to-the-h-a-m-b-introduce-yourself-here.18/

DSC08596 2016 12 11 sold 2.jpg

20. RunninOn6

RunninOn6

IMG_3812.JPG Ok, I think I am up to date and by the rules! Thanks for the heads up!

volvobrynk and LowKat like this.
  21. Duke of Haphazard

Duke of Haphazard
    from PNW

Well, this thread has been dormant for quite some time but still a good story of a truck and a life being lived. Mark, if you see this, I look forward to reading the stories of the cars that you have gone on to build. This is one of the best "limited funds, use what you have, find what you need, make what you can't find" projects that I have seen. Thanks for posting it all up.

lothiandon1940 and impala4speed like this.
  22. Hi Duke, Welcome to the 'HAMB". Lots of good people and so much knowledge here. I'm glad you enjoyed the "Rattle Can Rebuild" it was a lot of fun for me. I see you're in the PNW, where?

You can see the two "hobby cars" I've had since this truck by clicking on the links below my name on each of my posts. A 1961 Chevy Impala and a 1958 Corvette. My job is assembling restored cars so that didn't leave me much time or ambition for my own.

I'm retiring at the end of this month and will be working on another project for myself as soon as I can find something I like. Just missed a 1955 Chevy Cameo pickup 3 months ago by a couple of hours.

Also missed a very rare 1960 Austin Princess Vaden Plas LHD limo by 10 minutes, a month ago. It's a Rolls Royce looking British car. The body and interior were nice, but the antiquated engine was in pieces. I would've hot rodded it and installed an older American V8 drivetrain and ended up with something similar to this.

[​IMG]

Instead of factory stock like this.
    [​IMG]