Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 F1 rattle can rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Good to hear it sold, looked like a solid buy! More room and some breathing cash helps.

2. 52lomofo

52lomofo

wal-mart sells it here on last week for $3.50 a can

3. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Man it looks like we have a lot more in common than just an F-1. Your pic on #417 showing the Keep On Truckin takes me back. I had a 65 Econoline window van with a 289, my wife had a 65 Chevy van with the R. Crumb artwork on it. Thats why we tied up & are still together. We have caught Arlo several times, and I am now plugging away on a canned ham trailer. I will tow that with the 48 F-1 thats close to getting on the road. Also, I have garages full of important stuff.

4. It was a good truck other than rusty front floor at the cab mounts and the uprights for the back bumper were welded to the bed pockets. They buyer is excited to get started on it.

Not everybody has good taste like us! Any pictures of the F1 or the ham can?

5. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I've been one of the silent lurkers here.....This thread is one of the first I look for when I log onto the HAMB every day. :D Why? Dunno, I don't own a Ford and never have- but I love seeing the progress you've made on a shoestring budget. And I lusted after your model A. If you'd live a state away instead of across the nation, it would've come home with me a while back. It was a sedan, so I could've slept in it for a few nights til Mama got used to the idea.:D

Then you post the pic of the C1 'vette.....:eek: I'd kill to have one. I've owned 3 plastic fantasics, all of 'em the undesirable models, but one day. One Day. Thanks for this thread, man. And keep posting the updates. the canned hamb is making me wanna go to work on the little Scotty I've got half tore apart, to pull behind the '46...

6. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Looks like a run of good luck. Good Luck with the new job.

7. Yea, I've been hoping for some good luck. I figure if I keep making deposits in my karma bank, some will come my way.

I don't have the job yet but will post the results of the interview. Sure hope I get it. The company is very HAMB friendly and not represented here.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  8. Scott

Scott

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I wonder if it might help mentioning the HAMB during your interview with the thought that you may bring them more business. We'll even tell 'em you're a good guy if it'll help. Some of us are kinda scruffy and all, but we wash up real nice!:D

10. I'll be mentioning the HAMB. I'm sure people from here already use them but I could promote the business.

11. Solid axle Corvettes kick ass!

Here's some history to keep you guys busy until I get motivated and actually do something new on my HAMB stuff.

When I was young I always thought Corvettes were 'Jock' car status symbols and I'd hunt them down to race. About 1977 my younger B-I-L let me drive his '62 Vette and I really liked it. I started looking for one and within a few months this one nearly fell in my lap.

I lived in Borrego Springs CA back then. A friend of mine did a concrete job for a local realtor (gearhead) named Hal Sealund and got the Vette as payment for labor. I was bummed since I knew Hal well and did jobs for him but the concrete guy gets to the job site before the carpenter, so he saw it first. I bought it from the concrete guy and he bought a Porsche 911.

1978 Corvette 1962 white 02 small.JPG

Hal Sealund is a really cool car guy and back in the "Borrego days" had a warehouse full of nice Fords that he'd buy, sell and trade. I remember Boss 429 Mustangs, Mach 1's, Shelbys, 1957 retractable, little Birds and a Bill Stroppe race Bronco.

Some of you may have known of Hal Sealund if you like off road racing. Hal bought the old Holman Moody Stroppe prepped Bronco that Ford had built and used it to promote an off road business he had half ownership in called "K bar S Bronco" out of Las Vegas.

Here's the original Bronco that Ford had modified.

[​IMG]

This is right after Hal bought it from Ed Perry. It was raced in the 1968 Baja 1000 driven by Dann Perry. Hal drove it back from Mexico to home after the race.

[​IMG]

Here's how it looked the first time I saw it in his Borrego warehouse.
    1975 Mint 400 photo
    [​IMG]

It was found in 2009. The guy that bought it didn't know the early Holman Moody Stroppe Ford history until after he owned it. The Bronco has probably been painted 15 times for different sponsors and/or repairs over the years.

It was in at least 45 long distance desert races.

[​IMG]

Hal Sealund looking it over with the new owner.
    [​IMG]

Anyways, back to old Corvettes.
    Here's a 1980's shot of my family's '62 Vettes.

0 vettes.JPG

The maroon one I mentioned earlier, sold at Barrett Jackson last year.
    If you own it, I have history for you...
    http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=1276&aid=403&pop=1

One more shot of my old '62.

It was a pretty original car with the 340HP/327 and 4 speed. I tracked down the original owner a few years later and he still had the original wheels, hubcaps and paperwork from new. He traded those things to me for a drive in the Vette and bought me lunch to boot.

It's the only car I ever regret selling but it paid for 1/2 of a house in 1992.
    I know where it is today. It's been restored but red w/black interior.

1978 photo in the Borrego Badlands along the Salton Seaway, SoCal.
    It was over 100 degrees outside when that photo was taken.

Corvette 1962  white 01.JPG

a POS Vette, I traded a Honda 110 three wheeler for about 1986.
    Sold at Pomona soon after to buy more 1954 Vette parts for #241.
    Corvette 1977 01 small.JPG

I bought another Corvette about 1997 in hopes of replacing the fun we had in the old '62. It was a fairly rare Briar Blue 1972. I owned it about 5 years and never took a picture of it. That tells you how much I didn't like it. You sit too low in the cockpit, the nose is too long and you can't see anything past the tires while driving. The worst thing was no trunk. Sold it to a friend and he restored it.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  12. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

LowKat, I'm not up to par on computer talent. But there are a few pics of the canned ham trailer on the vintage trailer part of this site. I hope to get somewhere with the F-1 soon & try to post some pics of them hitched up. Any day now, or so they say.

13. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

wow, I just read all 22 pages. What started as inspiration and amazement at your ingenuity finished with respect for a damn good man.

hoping the near future is filled with nothing but the best for you. God Bless.

Moore40 likes this.
  14. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Man....you have been a fortunant man, car wise. All I've had are C4's....they were the current corvette when I was in high school, so I do have a fondness for them. I'd trade 'em all to get ahold of a straight axle 'vette, though. They were, in my opinion the prettiest little cars designed. Unfortunately, most of them have been snatched up by folks whose idea of driving them is on and off of a parade ground.

15. I went for the job interview today......

WOOO-HOOOO!!!!!
    I just helped the unemployment rate go down.
    I start tomorrow morning.
    You guys need to start buying stuff so I can get a paycheck...

http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/

[​IMG]

Ron the owner, is a super nice guy with a great sense of humor. I'm going to be working on a couple of his cars to start with. This pair are rare early 30's Chryslers. One is a limo and a matching dual cowl phaeton. They're in the process of full restoration sitting side by side. I'm excited to get started.

This job was offered to me through this thread.

The power of the HAMB!

THANK YOU SUSIE!

16. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Right on man. Chevs of the 40s is a great place.

17. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Congrats Mark! Looks like you've got a pretty cool place to work.

18. Congrats, Chev's of the 40's will do well having you in their ranks.

Lean into it Mark, you'll do very well.

19. greaser

greaser

Congratulations Mark! Sounds like a dream job, and a perfect match for someone with your talents and personality. WAH-HOO! I'm gonna tip one for you, buddy!

20. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

wahoo! way to go Mark! have fun at the new job!

21. Congrats, Mark; sounds like a terrific job. Well deserved!!

22. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

That's really good news. Way to go!

23. thanks guys

Both cars are 1931 Chrysler Imperial CG LeBaron bodied. They are looong.
    85 of the dual cowl phaetons made, somewhere around a dozen known.
    271 limousines w/divider

2012 03 02 a.JPG

Today I pulled the tranny in the phaeton because of an incorrect T/O bearing.
    Then pulled front and rear springs out of the phaeton for a de-arch.

Also pulled the steering column/box out of the limo for a rebuild.

Monday I'm installing engine hook-ups and starting the wiring on the phaeton
    I'm gonna call it a tub from now on, lots easier.

2012 03 02 b.JPG

Both cars have very cool thermostat controlled shutters behind the grill screen.
    I'll get some pictures when I get there.

The degree of quality is top notch.
    Many small parts have been handmade according to originality including bolts.

One more cool thing.... 10 hour day, 4 day work week. 3 DAY WEEKENDS!!
    Hope I still feel like working on my crap now.

2012 03 02 c.JPG

24. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

way to go Mark! Good mojo from the HAMB.

25. Pharouh

Pharouh

Wow,good luck with the new job! I'm glad your luck has turned around.

26. Scott

Scott

congratulations on the new job!

27. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Looks to me like you landed on your feet.

28. dgg-dt1948

dgg-dt1948

You gotta let us know what happened to Grouchy Dave.