Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948 chevy gen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Huckster59, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Huckster59

Huckster59

what is the proper way to set the voltage on a voltage reg ,6v

2. Hellfish

Hellfish

Best thing would be to check your shop manual. If you don't have one, you should get one, but in the meantime, there might be a electronic version available for free viewing at tocmp.com. I would think that any pre-55 Chevy car manual would have the info you need

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Just wondering why you need to "set the voltage" on a regulator? In the 45 years that I've been playing with them, I've never adjusted a VR. If it ain't putting out I get a new one. I know this may sound lazy. I'm the first to say that true mechanics repair things and modern guys just buy new but I was taught that a VR was set at the factory.

4. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Thanks waldo53 (page 12-9) Reminds me of my Uncle Dee, see picture. In the 50s he would 'rebuild' voltage regulators for $2. A new one cost, if my memory is correct, on average $5 at Western Auto but that was seventeen miles away from home town. He explained to me that he only worked on them if they weren't burned up, adjusting them was all he did. He guaranteed them after he worked on them for 6 months.

Uncle Dee 1950..jpg