Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1948 Chevy Fleetline Rear End Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jonnyzepp, Apr 10, 2017.

1. jonnyzepp

jonnyzepp

I have a 1948 Chevy Fleetline Aerosedan, that is all original. I read somewhere about a rear end swap, where you use the rear end out of a 1963-69 Chevy pickup. That way you can keep the 6 lug wheels but get a 12 bolt rear. I'm looking into it but can't find where I read about it before. From what I have researched online, the 1948 rear is about 60" wheel mounting surface-to-wheel mounting surface and the 63-69 Chevy truck rear is 60.5". I haven't been able to measure mine yet. My car is still in storage and we just had snow last week. I found a 1965-1966 rear and it looks to be more like 62". Has anyone done this swap or did I get things all wrong? Does anyone have a better suggestion to keep the original 6 lug wheels? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. Road Runner

Road Runner

Don't know about the 60s rear ends, but you can swap the torque tube with gears from a 50-54 Powerglide car into your existing rear axle and get 3.55 ratio.
    That's what I did.

[​IMG]

3. belair

belair

Why do you want to change the rear end? If you just want better gears, use a PG car from the early 50s. I had a 48 Aerosedan coupe for several years. I went the 57 Chevy rear end and front disc brake route, so I could run 5 lug wheels (and have disc brakes). Since you asked for a better suggestion than the truck rear end, this is mine. It was an easy driveway swap, took one day. But I also had a th350 and a 250 6 cyl., so I added an open driveshaft. I don't know how easy it is to retrofit an enclosed driveshaft onto a later model open driveshaft rear end. Another suggestion is use the 3 speed and rear end from a 235 open driveshaft car that will work with your bell housing and convert the 48 to o an open drive shaft. If you want to up grade the car a little more, go with a later, full oil pressure 235-it will fit easy. Maybe this isn't a good answer, but I dont know how many changes you are willing to make to the car, and one change often requires a couple of more.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  4. belair

belair

Looks like Road Runner has it covered.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you go to a later rear with an open drive shaft you are going to change the trans too unless someone here knows how to put a seal on the old trans. As I remember that trans has a different bolt pattern to the bell housing than anything later so the bell would need to go to. Then there is the mounting problem since we're a lot of changes to Chevrolet drive trains after 54. The 54 PG gears maybe your best way if you just want higher gearing.