Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Dec 12, 2010.

1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I believe the change took place because of MASS MEDIA. Thats when the magazines and other publications became available to the general public. Then the aftermarket companies started poppin out all kinds of accesories for people to add to there vehicles. The different publications had different ideas what a custom should look like, then people had different ideas as well. 48-52 Customs were created to have a car design flow more smoothly, remove all the clutter and to have a vehicle different than other belly button cars produced at that time. And yes, the Hirohata was alittle more of a radical custom from that time period and it did get alot of coverage in magazines.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  2. Ok ....let's not forget that besides this thread,I don't think there is anything that says the styles changed in 52.The evidence to support that is picture of the Thriftys parking lot show.I have always thought the style of this thread wen't till late 1954 and things started changing after that as did the factory cars.I just never really made a big deal about the years because I love this thread so much.

I personally think the Hirohata still had plenty of early style custom tricks done to it but it was just a few steps further and just blew people away.There were still customs done in this earlier type style after Hirohata,lets not forget that.

Just my opinion though. :)

3. Totally agree Jeff. I mention it in another thread where this was brought up that the Buddy Alcorn Merc wasn't built until 1955 and one could hardly call it an over the top custom.

4. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Being off the computer for a couple of weeks working my butt off, I see that I have missed a lot of stuff going on on the HAMB. :)

Hey Chris, that -41 convertible will be great. It is a bit like my -40 Lasalle, a start of kustom to be.

There have been some questions about why I chose the break off years 1948-52.

The years before 1948 didn't show so many cars with the very radical lowering of chassis and roofs. Some exceptions were out there, of course. And after 1952 the car shows had developed that the number of modifications were more appreciated than the ultimate clean line. The more heavy pinstriping, scoops, extra "tricks" with added trim mouldings, louvered hoods, panel paintjobs, more level and lower stance etc.

The Hirohata Mercury is a milestone car for the "newer" style with its mix of some new "gimmicks" blended with the traditional styling of earlier kustoms. It's a fantastic kustom, but the start of a new era.

There are always exceptions. Cars built in older traditional style 1953 and up. But not the most "modern" ones. And I speak about California as the starter of the big kustom trends with its amazing innovative kustom gurus.

I think we absolutely can welcome a great build in authentic 1953-54 style here on this thread. If we can find any good ones. But there is a different style in a 1948-50 and 1953-54. You must admit that. Not saying there is something wrong with those cars, just a bit of different style.

One other thing.
    Even though I REALLY care about the details in driveline, chassis, details like hose clamps etc, my intention was that it is the kustom DESIGN that we look for first and foremost in this thread. If the car has well hidden or not easily seen modern modifications in driveline and chassis, it still is all ok for this thread. But the more period accurate, the more fun in my world. I just don't want to leave out a nice period looking car with a modern driveline. I would not want to own it, but maybe the car looks great in its design and can give us design inspiration.

It is also a place to talk with friends over the globe and ask questions about different stuff that is era-correct or not on a time machine like this. 1959 Cad taillights, radial tires and 1958 Lancer caps kills a lot of nice builds. If we can save some of those cars, it's all for a good cause. :D

I mean, if you don't care about the correct and most suitable tires for your kustom car, you have a lot left to think about. :p

Man, I should not drink so many beers before I start writing after holding up for some time. Too much rambling, huh? :D
    I am creating this thread together with you guys and I appreciate all your support and help with everything during the 2 years it's been going on. Many of you have much more knowledge than I have and I love the enthusiasm in keeping the thread so clean from losing its idea.

One million thanks!

5. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

J.B., you wouldnt want to own a car with a modern driveline? Doesnt your Mercury have airbags which is as modern as technology gets?.....

Im confused.

6. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

The driveline is motor, gearbox and rear axle. Not suspension. For me that is chassis. The engine is a 1946 59AB, the gearbox is a 1939 toploader and the rear axle is a 1940 Mercury with Columbia overdrive.

But, when I built the car in 2002, I assumed it would be a good thing with two airbags for better daily use. It was not and I have already a planned rework on that part of the car for next season. All is solid and original in the rear and I will just flatten the original rear crossmember and C the frame. The car has not been used more than 15 minutes drive back and forth to OSW the last years. It is the only "modern" thing on the car and I really don't like it. I have the rear spring on my shelf. I just need to finish my new roadster first.

7. fitzee

fitzee

If your losing interest in working on your custom.. Take a hour and go through this post from start to finsh.. It put me right back in the mood to get at mine!!

8. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Hey Jack ! Yes,I'm fine,thanks.That pic ain't big on my 6 foot monitor.It probably is big on yours cause you still live in 1951 using era-correct equipment.Damn traditionalist.Dude,get high-tech finally !

I hear you on the GoodYear tire and you're probably right.But again,the General tire is nice and has a very balanced look.I'm not so much talking of each and every detail,rather of the proportions of the tire itself.It looks very good on Laurence Orlick's chopped '49 Mercury,which has perfect stance in my eyes.See pic below.Someone said the tire is too narrow but that's exactly what I like about it too.The tire has a 3 3/4" whitewall which I think,is just right.Sometimes,just sometimes,the whitewall on the Super Cushion is too wide for me.I probably would buy a set of these when my Firestones are toast but that's gonna take a while...

[​IMG]

Pic hosted by GiantMonitorServices

9. speters

speters

I am working on my 48 pontiac and trying to go for this style. I am trying to figure out wheels and tires. It used to wear 710x15 with 53 pontiac caps. Any suggestions?
    [​IMG]

I am considering going to 16" for more brake clearance and using these
    [​IMG]
    Anyone know a source for correctly styled 16" caps. I have been looking for Lyons with no success

10. There are so many knowledgable guys on this thread it totally amazes me. I've learned so much about this style of car here......Everytime I go back through it there is something else I've missed....thanks!!!

11. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Here is my buddy Joe's Plymouth...not quite finished yet, but still looks badass!

Attached Files:

12. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Couldn't agree more, only trouble is I keep coming back to this thread and re reading/catching up on it and it's all time I'm not working on my car :)

For me this is definitely one of the best threads on here , along with Sledges build threads for the mercs, and the metal shaping threads which are really cool.

Now going out to brave the frosty workshop to get some more done.

Paul.

13. Squablow

Squablow

Plymouth above with the Packard grille has real potential to be great. If all the details come together when that one is finished, it'll be real nice. Has a nice roofline. I hope windshield stainless is one of the "yet to be finished" items.

For the Pontiac above, I like the 15" wheels. It was one of the easier swaps to modernize a car in the period since basically every car maker had swapped to 15" wheels by 1949, some even earlier.

As for hubcaps, you're in the same boat as me. I have the single bar flippers now, but they're the smooth kind and they just aren't the same as the trim ring/center cap style National caps, so I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning toward '50 Olds caps. For your Pontiac, take a look at the 49-50 Pontiac caps, they have a real Sombrero look to them and would be period perfect for a car that had swapped to 15" wheels around 1950. If I had a Pontiac, I'd run them.

14. I dunno if this is the right thread to ask this, but beings all the "top" custom guys are here what the hell. I have one of these. I would like one more... it fits a 16" wheel!!! It is chrome, not stainless. It has no markings (like Lyon's sometimes had). Anyone recognize it, or better yet...have one more they wanna part with??

[​IMG]

15. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I dont have any info and I dont have one, but thats one of the coolest hubcaps I've ever seen.

16. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

While we are on the subject of hubcaps, I need to know what sombrero's will fit and look right on my stock 37 zephyr wide 5 16" wheels. Starting to get another shopping list together.

Paul.

17. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Lyons 16" hubcaps. You'll have to search a bit but they're some of the best 16 hubcaps you can get.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally got all the way through this entertaining and informative thread. Thanks J.B. and all contributors! Great stuff!

19. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

I am a Plymouth guy from start to finish. Very hard to find parts and in some cases info from other guys from lack of building. They look great but do need some work to get them there. I have seen some amazing Custom Plymouths in the past. I just have to face it and realize that this is pretty much a Chevy and Ford world. Mine does not belong on this thread but ONE day I hope to be able to post It here finished. Here is how it sits now.

Rick

Attached Files:

20. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I think they have good potential.

Yours just needs to be raised a few inches all around (more in the front) and lose the visor to fit into this era.

Just like now, not everybody back then wanted a Chevy or Ford.

21. ^^^^^^what he said

22. [​IMG]
    This car kind of changed my way of looking at all old cars.This was the first real custom from this era that I had seen in person.It was the late Eric Maaske's Plymouth and it would sit out in front of his shop in oldtown fullerton.This car is gorgeous in my opinion and the pictures don't do it justice.I would love to see it with a set of appletons.I used to drive by in my virgin mercury and just about crack my fu*kin neck staring at this car.I didn't know what it was at first but I knew I loved it.

In my opinion some of these Plymouths can make great customs.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  23. steveb

steveb

Man, I like that Plymouth!

24. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Very nice car and a lovely stance! :)
    It's always some details that you wanna lose, but overall a nice car indeed.

25. It is a very nice car J.B. I was hoping you wouldn't mind it on this thread.For the most part it fits great and it is a recent built custom with right look.It just seemed that Eric was always a little bit ahead of knowing what was really cool and classy,from his style to his automobiles.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  26. That Plymoth is really cool. I like seeing customs built on platforms that aren't the norm makes them seem a little fresher as it is not something you are as used to seeing built.

27. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

This car was at Mooneyes Christmas Party last Year. At least an hour of my time was spent on it. Beautiful coupe. Was told the guy that built it had passed away. Sad:(. He had a good eye for detail.

28. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

I can raise mine with a tap of a switch. I will loose the visor at some point but trying to hide badly cracked windshield. ;).

29. Lose the airbags and sell em.Take your money and buy a windshield.