Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Dec 12, 2010.

1. Jfrolka ... thanks for those words:) Glad you like the sound.Yes those Goodyears are pretty skinny,I can give you a number tomorrow if you want.

2. Yes Rik....that's it. He is running a much bigger muffler and he has exaust manifolds.I love the sound of that car.

3. jfrolka

jfrolka

I found on coker that 710-15's in general are about 4.88" wide.... L's are almost 6" wide thats why they looked like shit up close in person.

All good Jeff, dont worry about it. Im dyin to see that merc in person.

4. YES! Jeff - your car sounds great! and the hirohata...good lord that thing sounds good. I LOVE the deep mellow tone.

5. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

I just love this car, the metalwork on the top alone ,is enough to captivate me !!

7. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    It is a stunning car in person, so much detail!! thanks Rik for your site i love just going through all your files i always catch something new..

8. Squablow

Squablow

Jeff, what type/brand/size mufflers are you running? Does anyone know what the Hirohata has on it for mufflers? The cars sound great in the videos, now I just need to figure out what I need to use to get that sound. Thanks for the videos/audio and all the answers so far. I think the research is what is lacking in some of the cars that get close but don't quite have "it".

9. Thanks for the compliments guys,glad some if you like it.

Squawblow.......I have old 12 inch glasspacks that were just at the muffler shop.At that time I didn't even know about different brands.I just told em I wanted the smallest they had since my car had 36inch before,I couldn't hear it run.Mine are probably to old but I really dont want to put new ones.
    As far as the Hirohata.....I think it has 24s ,they might even be 36.I dont remember what brand Jim said he used.

10. Sounds great Jeff!! I like it even better than the Hirohata. Oh and I would be scared shitless driving it at night the way people pay attention.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  11. The Merc does sound great Jeff! Is it a coincidence that you recorded at night? I've always thought my cars sounded just a little sweeter when the sun went down. Cooler air.. or just that little bit more of the "delinquent after dark" feeling. ;)

Dave

12. Skirv

Skirv

My Mercury sounds similar to Jeff's. My dad (who was around in the 50's) says it sounds just like the "hot" cars of his youth. I have Cherry Bomb brand glass packs...painted black.

[​IMG]

13. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Sweet Jesus thats a huge picture.

14. Skirv

Skirv

Ha, sorry...fixed it.

15. Squablow

Squablow

Were "glasspack" mufflers around in 1950, or would they have been the Porter style steel pack ones? I love Cherry Bombs but I think they didn't exist until the early/mid 1960's. And I'm guessing the tone would be a bit different between the two? I'm also interested in the ongoing tire size debate. My car has G-78's on it now, they're kinda wide but they're on the 49-up Buick 5 on 5 wheels which were fairly wide for the era and I'm told were a popular swap in the day. Coker says the stock tire on a '50 Olds was a 7.10 and you'd think if my car were built in 1950 they would have grabbed the tires off of the same car they got the motor from. I'm not sure.

16. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

This is THE early custom tire.

Goodyear Supercushion

[​IMG]

17. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

I'm with you.But in my humble opinion it has gotten SERIOUS competition by this thing here :

[​IMG]

(And never underestimate the POWER of 16" tires for 40's style Kustoms)

18. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

You got any BIGGER pic for us, Frenz? :D

Long time!! Hope all is great with you.
    Personally, I don't think that tire has a chance, though.
    The ribbed profile is a bit too soft for my taste... :)

Anyone knows what brand this Jesse Lopez tire is?
    [​IMG]

But I truly love the 7.10 Good Year Super Cushions on my Merc.
    Lovely to ride and the whole 4 1/4 whitewall is great!
    [​IMG]

19. [​IMG]

My old baby owner built with alot of help of great frends

20. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I agree - I really love the SuperCushion's ridiculously huge white walls. Someday my car will get a set when I am done making a mess with welding and overspray.

21. i dig that general jet-air.
    almost bought a set for my 52, but that car really needed the heavy piecrust on the firestones.

22. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Plymouth1952, The pinstriping and fake spotlights dont fit in this era!

As for tires, I got some Bf Goodrich 7.10's with a 3 7/8" whitewall for my '46.

I wanted the Supercushions, but I could get these here locally at Summit Racing. (No $hipping)

They will at least look a lot better than the 2.5" WW radials that are on it!

23. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Anyone drive the Goodyear Super Cushions? Sure look nice. Not expecting a radial ride but curious how they track and if they are well made. My Merc is a driver.

24. I drive em and they are great.Also my friend with a Matranga 40 Merc has em on his car and we have cruised late night 90 mph runs on the freeway.Chop nweld.....this isnt directed to you but there is just way to much worrying about bias ply tires on the Hamb.Our sleds are not Mercedes' and they won't ever handle like one..... ever.

25. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

The SMALL gain in ride quality that radial tires provide is not worth ruining the look of your car.

I've driven through snowy mountain storms in the middle of the night on Firestone Deluxe Champions. I drive on rough California roads and freeways. I drive on dirt roads, I drive in rain, I drive at 85 mph.... BIAS PLIES RULE!!

radials are ugly

26. You also have to remember these cars were designed to run bias ply tires so if you are running the original suspension it is actually better suited to bias plys rather than radials.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

27. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Squaw, Coker gave you the size for a 6 cylinder "76" model 1950 Olds that was not a convertible of station wagon. All the rest of the "76" and "88" (v8) models had 7.60 x 15. "98" convertibles had 8.20 x 15. 8.00 was optional on "98"s except convertibles. Per the 1950 shop manual.

28. Great point K13 .. I think most people don't even think about that.

I think bias are just fine.....Gil Ayala ran 129mph on bias and also like J.B. showed Jesse Lopez car running those great looking tires and he drove the shit out of that car hard.Bob Hirohata drove to Indy and the car made it just fine.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  29. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Thats true K13, but they also do perfectly fine on 'modern' suspensions.
    I had a 79 Camaro clip under my 51 Pontiac and the bias plies did great.

I cant wait to get the bias plies on my 46

30. jfrolka

jfrolka

I just got a set of the General brand 760-15's today with the 4" whitewall from Lucas tires in lbc. They were a bit wider than the 670-15 and stood at 28.75 tall.... they look great but lack pie crust is all. The 670-15 by general is way too damn skinny, tread width was like 3"