Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-1960 Dodge/Fargo/DeSoto Truck only picture thread.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemiken, Nov 14, 2012.

1. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I was in the KFC drive threw last night in my 57, and the Lady at the Window asked me If it was a Dodge... I said "yes" and she got all excited, then stopped,got a serious look on her face and asked me "what motor do you have in it?" I said "360 Dodge" and she reached out and shaked my hand and said "thank you for doing it right!".....That completely caught me off guard, for a girl in her early 30's she sure was sharp, makes me wonder if her husband or father is into these trucks...I probabily should of asked her, but I grabbed my chicken and taters and waves goodbye.:D

2. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

3. willyflathead

willyflathead

How ya guys doin. Got a. 1953 dodge truck my first real project would like to put some pics up but don't know how to new to this site can someone please help meeeeee

4. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Here's some more pics of mine. I chopped the bed this week. I hated the "high" side and wanted it lower. So I did...
    Steve-:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

5. That chop looks Great!! nice Work jim

6. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

There are a few ways of doing it, the way I do it is go to http://imageshack.us < make account, uploaded your photo then copy and paste the html under Forum code and paste it onto here....;) hope that helps a little and gives you a real perfect size photo and saves it online so you can go back to it from any other computer.

Make the picture bigger! I cant see steve! :eek: but from what I can see is tripping me out! Im not used to seeing the bed like that. I cant wait to see how you do the tailgate.

7. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

MoparJoel
    I hated the "high" side bed. Most of the old Dodge trucks had them. I needed to take my bed apart to refinish the bed wood. I got a wild hair and decided to cut the bed sides down (5 inches) and weld them back together. I have never done anything this radical or involved before, but I think it turned out really well. I just had time Saturday to mock up the bed and take some pics. My stupid camera settings were too large to properly upload pics. I changed the settings this morning and will post some more pics later. Here's a few that I "resized" to post here. Hopefully they are not too grainy. I am planning to weld together a new tailgate and letter "Dodge" across the back.
    Steve-

Attached Files:

8. Looks awesome Steve, a huge improvement for sure!

9. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Here's some pics from this morning. I'm so tired of snow...it's supposed to be springtime. Anyway, hopefully it will warm up and I can take the bed off and finish it this week.
    Steve-

Attached Files:

10. This is the only photo I have of my old 55 SWB, low box pickup. Had a SWEET running 230 flathead/3 speed column shift. I don't believe my truck had one single option on it.

Attached Files:

11. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I was Looking at some examples from a few pages back, and I guess I never realized how tall those sides were. Dodge really hit a home-run with the flat top sides in 56 IMO. looks good now, seems like since I saw this all the custom trucks with the beds like yours has been chopped too.

12. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

I think Dodge was the only manufacturer to produce a truck bed that high. I might be wrong, but I look at the Chevy's and Ford's and their beds do not seem as high. I like the sleeker look of the lower bed. Besides, although I will use my truck to haul things, I do not need sides that high on my bed. The local welding shop sells sheet metal at a really good price, so I'm going to weld up a basic frame for the tailgate and cover it with sheet metal.
    Steve-;)

13. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Rocky...I don't think any of those old Dodges had options. Just the basics. After all they were produced to be "workhorses." Mine now has a radio, which is hidden in the glove compartment, but that's about all. But that's what makes them so neat.

14. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Starting in 55 through 60 I know of a few options some I believe go hand in hand, like getting a Custom Cab (big Window) usally upgrades you to two sun visors instead of just the standard driverside visor, ash tray was a option, power brakes are a option, radio was a dealer installed option mounted on the roof, I have seen in a few cases the interior door U shaped arm rest are a option on the Passenger side, the fabric of the seat was a option and.... I know there is more just cant think of any. :D

15. 6DODGE6RAM6

6DODGE6RAM6
    from Lemont, IL

Speaking of visors and arm rests,I was poking around at a local junkyard a few months ago,when I come across this:

[​IMG]

I was poking around it when I realized it used a late '50s Dodge cab,lol. I ended up getting the steel door panels with armrests and both visors and everything bolted right into my '55.

16. willyflathead

willyflathead

17. willyflathead

willyflathead

need a grill any suggestions where to start looking?

18. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

19. I haven't checked this thread in awhile. That bed is so awesome Steve! I can't wait to see what else you have planned. I am assuming you are going to leave the tailgate and front of the bed the same height? In my opinion that would look perfect since from your pictures they are now the same height as the bedsides. Just my .02, looking forward to seeing more!

20. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Thanks, Ford Mike. I'm taking this week off to visit family on the 'other side of the world.' I did get my bed wood refinished this past week, stripped it, stained (red mahogany), and 3 coats of polyurethane. I still have to strip and repaint the metal strips. I am planning on custom welding a new tail-gate together out of rectangular tubing and some 18 gauge. Will post pics when I get to that stage.

21. I haven't posted a photo of my truck on this site in months. A couple guys asked to see my progress, so here it is..

[​IMG]

My father and I made our own reversed wheels for the rear, mounted the tires, and couldn't resist snapping a pic. Next week the whole truck is coming apart for bodywork and paint. The next time I post a pic the doors, rear fenders, and bed will be dark blue!

I hope you don't mind me posting this up here

22. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Ford Mike,
    Looking good! Thanks for the updates. Post some more "eye candy" for us. We're guys...we like pics! Thanks.
    Steve-

23. I don't know, I kinda feel weird showing off my work. That's why I usually don't post any updates... Maybe I'll get some more pics this weekend. ;)

24. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Mike,
    I feel the same way...but that's what the HAMB is for...isn't it? Btw, the truck is looking good. Can't wait to see it painted.
    Steve-

25. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

Here's a shot of my '50 taken at woodburn a while back.....

Attached Files:

26. wrayeugene, that is a cool pic and nice work Ford Mike i really like the steele look I have been considering that myself have a Great Day! Jim

27. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Ford mike, thats a perfect stance, I want that exact raked look on my 57, eugene nice flames sets it apart from being just a farm truck.

28. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

:eek: I just Came across this and all I can say is ????????:confused:??????? I dont know if I like it or hate it? Its not traditional but its definitely a hotrod... looks like it says 426 hemi on the hood so thats a good start....
    [​IMG]

29. Thanks Joel, The stance was easy, 3" out of the front and no drop out back. I compensated for not lowering the back by giving it a larger tire. Although I didn't really want a rubber rake I didn't have a choice because only one bias tire fit our home made reversed wheels. It should look pretty good when its all done, tire choice makes or breaks a vehicle's look in my opinion!

30. 73RR

73RR

hhmmmm....lose the wing, graphics, hood scoop, exhaust, waaaay over-used Viper blue paint.....